L'Occitane Reviews | Glassdoor

L'Occitane Reviews

Updated November 3, 2017

1.0
L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger
Reinold Geiger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gratis every new campaign . Generous 40 % discounts on full priced items and 15% on sale items . Get to demo new products

Cons

Forced to sell divine cream to everyone . Doesn't matter who the customer is . Just sell the cream . Even if they are not the right customer for it . Management is not too great in trying to keep employees satisfy in the amount of work they put in.

Advice to Management

Take some leadership courses and learn to be a real leader and lead a team . The fact that your in skincare is an intimate business and you have to sell the correct items to the clients based on their needs , not to benefit your own sales goals . Stop being selfish because at the end it catches up to you .

"Unfair Wage Practices."

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the products and true stories. If you love French culture, you will love working at L'Occitane.

Cons

The wage gaps between employees are unfair and creates negative morale for the team, compounded by the fact that they have to work together in such small physical space together.

Advice to Management

Instead of hiring a new employee without any work experience at $14 an hour while the rest of the team are at $11 - $11.50 , make the effort to balance out these seemingly unfair hiring and wage practices.

"Director"

Former Employee - Leadership in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Leadership in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane full-time

Pros

great brand, great product, a lot of great history.

Cons

the leadership in HR is a farce. lack of smarts, humility, and horrible at partnerships. Leadership should wake up to the reality that their HR support for New York is a joke and lacks the ability to be strategic.

Advice to Management

make HR leadership changes.

"No Advancement"

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Products with great ingredients!

Cons

Company & Management doesn't appreciate hardworking & loyal employees.

Advice to Management

Recognize & appreciate your part-timers!

"Severely Mismanaged"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible people (unfortunately, they don't stay for long)
    - Great product
    - Average employee discount + gratis!
    - Opportunity to gain experience beyond your job description

Cons

- Under-qualified LT
    - Rapidly depleting HR team
    - Low pay by industry standards
    - Inexperienced People Managers
    - Imaginative promotions
    - Favoritism
    - Lack of process / protocol
    - Zero room for professional development (for most)

Advice to Management

Don't just hear your employees, really listen. There's really no point in wasting money / time / energy on employee feedback surveys when the response is re-iterating already existing policies. It's time to implement real change; it's not a coincidence that people are leaving. Rather than selling this mantra of PROSPERITY or hiring speakers to lecture your employees on how to avoid burning themselves out, acknowledge that those practices MUST come from Leadership (Shadow of a Leader).

Unfortunately, there are a lot of things that either fall off the map or are neglected entirely (i.e., L&D professional development training, hiring for roles sitting empty, my exit interview). This is typically due to everyone being so overloaded and stretched thin that they are forced to prioritize certain tasks / projects and must abandon others.

Please provide better training to your People Managers to make sure that they are respectful, professional, and treating their DRs well; hold them accountable when they are not. Promotions should be given based on merit and should be for positions that actually exist. Compensate those employees who have had to absorb the work of the positions you've eliminated / decided not to re-hire for.

The story behind the company is special, the product is phenomenal. Unfortunately the work culture and environment does not reflect that. The people who work for L'Occitane are very special, dedicated, and friendly individuals, but they don't stay for very long.

"Customer Service"

I worked at L'Occitane full-time

Pros

If you like being treated like you're in High School....

Cons

Senior manager talks down to his employees at least the ones he doesn't like, or that's not eye appealing to him.

Advice to Management

Provide opportunities for real growth through-out the company. Stop giving titles just to give titles, and overlooking the qualified talent that's already there before it's too late.

"Unprofessional and Egotistical manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-gratis
    -flexible schedule
    -you work alone most of the time
    -no real consequences for anything
    -no real other pros to be honest

Cons

-manager always late and left early
    -would gossip about employees to other employees
    -would be out of the store constantly
    -codes never worked and would get yelled at when we had to override for clients
    -don't think the company has any idea how to hire competent upper or lower management
    *it was an overall terrible experience. Constructive Crimson always came across as bullying or nit picking.

Advice to Management

Strongly suggest that upper management check in on stores and their managers. They're waiting for a lawsuit.

"Horrible place"

Former Employee - PTSA in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - PTSA in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Only the discount and free gratis each month. I would highly advise you to seek employment opportunities elsewhere. Avoid this place.

Cons

Horrible company. Stuck up upper management. Half the time codes don't work but if you override it you get blamed. Unrealistic expectations. Berated if you don't meet their look policy, threatened to get written up if even your roots grow in and your hair color becomes uneven and unnatural. Threatened to get written up for having imperfect eyeliner even or if your makeup wears off as is natural. Threatened to get written up if you have even red or hot pink nail polish or if your nails ar

Advice to Management

Learn that everyone is human and stop being so stuck up. Stop taking everything too far or your employees will report you for harassment.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gratis. Boutique Associates. Health insurance for full timers was impeccable, though that's really the ONLY benefit of FT.

Cons

There are so many; To name a few -- Corporate does not treat management with respect. I've had corporate visits scheduled on days off, being asked to come in at a moment's notice being told it's "non negotiable," only to be completely blown off numerous times by the same RDs. Promises of recognition were never met, to the point where I stopped telling my team of the rewards we received, because we never in fact received them. Outlet transfers were scheduled the same day as floor cleanings/ inventory/ shipment, but we "weren't allowed" to touch them if customers were on the floor. Floorsets were always amended last minute, and we were told not to do them during business hours, yet not allotted extra hours to set it. I was expected to coach my staff, but due to payroll hours there was no probable time to do so effectively, because with 100 payroll hours you only have 1 hour of overlap and after state mandated break schedules (which were also slighted by District/Corporate on numerous occasions) there left no time to do my job. No bathroom on premises, with single coverage meant either holding it or going against the wishes of corporate and locking up to head to public restrooms. Event budgets were laughable, with expectations lavish. CEO left company without any notification to company. Corporate turnover was alarmingly high in the past 3 years.. Every day there was another resignation letter. There are so many things wrong with this company. I'm very glad L'Occitane is in my rearview.

Advice to Management

I don't know what happened, but I strongly advise ALL corporate employees to spend a week on the front lines. Perhaps switch roles completely with some of your extremely resourceful, competent SMs and associates. We've been keeping you in the black for years. Contentment breeds failure.

"Unprofessional and Unethical"

I worked at L'Occitane full-time

Pros

Health insurance and 401k decent.

Cons

Wish there was a rating of 0 honestly.

So many things to list.

Unprofessional and unethical behaviors from regional directors and from district managers.

Many store managers break labor rules as well as higher upper management and corporate partners.

This place is an unhealthy enviorment and if you value your mental and emotional health, stay away.

There are a lot of underlying racist values as well.

Advice to Management

Take an ethics course and stop hiring friends. Hire honest people that uphold integrity.