L'Occitane Reviews | Glassdoor

L'Occitane Reviews

Updated March 24, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger
Reinold Geiger

Pros
  • Great products - they are easy to sell (in 41 reviews)

• An exciting place to work, with gorgeous products and a very generous employee discount among other regular perks and incentives (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not give store-level employees the support they need to meet their goals and succeed (in 29 reviews)

• Work/Life balance hahahaha what's that (in 13 reviews)

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gratis. Boutique Associates. Health insurance for full timers was impeccable, though that's really the ONLY benefit of FT.

Cons

There are so many; To name a few -- Corporate does not treat management with respect. I've had corporate visits scheduled on days off, being asked to come in at a moment's notice being told it's "non negotiable," only to be completely blown off numerous times by the same RDs. Promises of recognition were never met, to the point where I stopped telling my team of the rewards we received, because we never in fact received them. Outlet transfers were scheduled the same day as floor cleanings/ inventory/ shipment, but we "weren't allowed" to touch them if customers were on the floor. Floorsets were always amended last minute, and we were told not to do them during business hours, yet not allotted extra hours to set it. I was expected to coach my staff, but due to payroll hours there was no probable time to do so effectively, because with 100 payroll hours you only have 1 hour of overlap and after state mandated break schedules (which were also slighted by District/Corporate on numerous occasions) there left no time to do my job. No bathroom on premises, with single coverage meant either holding it or going against the wishes of corporate and locking up to head to public restrooms. Event budgets were laughable, with expectations lavish. CEO left company without any notification to company. Corporate turnover was alarmingly high in the past 3 years.. Every day there was another resignation letter. There are so many things wrong with this company. I'm very glad L'Occitane is in my rearview.

Advice to Management

I don't know what happened, but I strongly advise ALL corporate employees to spend a week on the front lines. Perhaps switch roles completely with some of your extremely resourceful, competent SMs and associates. We've been keeping you in the black for years. Contentment breeds failure.

"Unprofessional and Unethical"

I worked at L'Occitane full-time

Pros

Health insurance and 401k decent.

Cons

Wish there was a rating of 0 honestly.

So many things to list.

Unprofessional and unethical behaviors from regional directors and from district managers.

Many store managers break labor rules as well as higher upper management and corporate partners.

This place is an unhealthy enviorment and if you value your mental and emotional health, stay away.

There are a lot of underlying racist values as well.

Advice to Management

Take an ethics course and stop hiring friends. Hire honest people that uphold integrity.

"Manager will run off talent; insecure, unethical, abusive."

Current Employee - PTSA
    Current Employee - PTSA

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The products are good, stores are beautiful, mission statements are great, but if only they were followed. The job could be fun and educational if you have a decent manager.

Cons

Hire managers who value associates & do not gossip about them. Way to destroy a team, but then that's the point when you are trying to make yourself look like no one can do it better than you..only possible if you beat down your employees. All you hear is negative comments, no matter how much you sell. People work to survive and hopefully enjoy what they do. Having a manager who is unsupportive and unprofessional and ineffective with people management will hurt your brand and sales. Managers who rule with fear so you are afraid to ask a question then create a negative environment is hurting sales. One should not breath a sigh of relief only to see its an endless game your manager plays by targeting each employee monthly to gossip about and asking other associates to look for issues.

Advice to Management

HR needs to get feedback on managers from associates, only way to address potential lawsuits or loss of talent. Some DM's too close to managers who have issues and ignore management problems. Good managers do not abuse associates in front of others which ultimately stains your brand.

"Worst Job I've Ever Had"

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Discount was fair
    -Everyone was a keyholder

Cons

-Next to no upper level management
    -Extremely strict dress code
    -No room for moving up in the company whatsoever, everyone above sales associates were hired in
    -Unfair pay, with no raises or loyalty towards those who had worked there longest
    -High pressure sales tactics
    -Relatively unsafe work environment (many high shelves in back rooms led to boxes and items being dropped on me)
    -Aggression from management if goals were not met/exceeded every single day
    -Surprise visits from upper level management, insinuating longtime employees could not be trusted
    -Absolutely zero respect from company and management for work/life balance, employees are expected to prioritize their job over everything else in their life, including school, family, etc.
    -Often received calls on days off and late at night from management asking for things such as availability, help with customers via phone, etc.
    -Management would not allow calls to their home once they left work even if there was a problem, but employees were expected to be on call at all times.
    -Misleading information given to customers on purpose

"Bad Management"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The products have an interesting history, are organic, and are quite nice for your skin

Cons

Lack of training for employees, lack of accountability with management, no response from corporate office regarding important issues (let alone follow up)

Advice to Management

Stop hiring managers who are bullies, elitist, and also exclusive towards people of color. Management in the upper echelon get more anglo as you go upwards. Be responsive towards your staff instead of signing up to die in the companies very shaky infrastructure.

"Sales and Training Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Training Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Training Manager in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros at this company are it people, their benefit package is really great, you get more vacation time than most companies, and their employee discount is high at 40% off

Cons

The Leadership team has no vision and feels stuck in their ways. They are trying to run the company as its ran in Europe and clearly is not working here in the US. These are two completely different markets. There is no growth here, when you get promoted you receive A higher title but continue to do the same work so you do not learn or grow your skill sets. The HR team feels nonexistent. They are not easily accessible and once you actually sit with them nothing is done to your benefit.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately I did not have the best experience working here for 2 years. I had a boss that was used to having things done for them and taking the credit when they happened to be successful. I found that they were unprofessional, inappropriate when it came to work/life boundaries, and did not follow many business procedures ethically. Most of the leadership team has been there for 10+ years which I feel is hindering the growth of the company. They don't have outside experience to contribute new and innovative ideas when it comes to business. However I will say I had an amazing team, I did grow and learn due to my own teachings, and had opportunities that most would probably not get early in their career. I do believe that L'Occitane could be a great place to work if they had a real HR team that listened to their employees and took their feedback seriously. If your looking to be mentored here and really learn and grow from your boss this is not the place for you. Quite a bit needs to change here if they want to retain and keep top talent. People are underpaid, under appreciated, and most likely smarter than their bosses.

"FT Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Full Time Sales Lead in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales Lead in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good employee Gratis program. The products are amazing. Benefits are good when available to you. Some good co-workers.

Cons

Management borders on abusive. Telling a pregnant woman to sit on the floor then yelling at her when she does as told. No consistency, would be told to do something one day then yelled at for it the next day. Management was belittling to staff that worked hard and praised personal favorites regardless of job performance of either. No accountability for management. Taking simple information to district manager was considered insubordinate so reporting anything wrong was deemed treason and you would be fired. Known for promising big and never delivering. Things like pay rates,benefits, job titles and raises.

Advice to Management

Threat your people well and they will work hard for you. Intimidation and frankly breaking laws is not the way to treat a staff. Don't sell a package you can't deliver. And to upper management and HR promoting people that violate laws protecting a "Protected Class" employee aren't the type of person you should have representing the company.

"PTSA"

Pros

good discounts, great products & gratis

Cons

horrible horrible treatment for management

"Rags or Riches"

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros, Smart Company as far as training and company resources go. Gratis program and employee compensation fair. The old bonus structure was motivating. Strong and motivated leaders in the past.

Cons

Cons, The bottom line just depends who sits on the thrown for the day. The company fosters Prosperity as their core value, but do not practice what they preach. Their is much favoritism in the brand even though they chose to over look it.
    I'm a prodigy of hard work, growing the business, creating promotion from within, and successfully achieving company contest, and clearly, its not what this brand is all about!
    In addition, what's even the most horrific tale about this company, is that, common core humane ethics aren't being adhered too either.
    It's obvious, this company has goon from polished armor to a dead wrenched under performing brand.
    Hey! maybe they are setting a new trend for retail.

Advice to Management

Reread what has been written.

"Not fair for talented people"

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good products and discounts. Shea line and divine is good. Also, peony line is not bad.
    Schedule can be a little bit rough sometimes but not that bad.

Cons

Promote talent people, I saw some PTSA sell much better than ASM and SM but not being recognized and left. Management play favoritism, only promote who they like which is so unfair.

Advice to Management

Look at the sale report and promote who deserves it.