L'Occitane Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger
Reinold Geiger

Pros
  • Great products - they are easy to sell (in 41 reviews)

• An exciting place to work, with gorgeous products and a very generous employee discount among other regular perks and incentives (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not give store-level employees the support they need to meet their goals and succeed (in 29 reviews)

• Work/Life balance hahahaha what's that (in 13 reviews)

1. "Fancy Boutique worked by slaves"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous employee Discount
    Relatively non-stressful clientele

Cons

Uncompetitive pay
     expectations to drive skincare sales just as well as an employee getting paid commission at a competitor store would
    Management expects employees to perform tasks from employees and learn new techniques without proper training
    Little respect for work-life balance

2. "Part time sales"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Torrance, CA

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products, co-workers and customers.

Cons

Not enough hours, too many promotions.

Advice to Management

Please know we all work hard.

3. "Corporate employee"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The gratis are good for the employees. They have great parties and events.

Cons

The people whom you suppose to trust, are not trustworthy. Especially the payroll director she gossips too much.

Advice to Management

Please look at upper management. Especially the payroll department director who walks around and talks about upper management about what is going on basically weekly. Every time she comes around she gossips with things that are supposed to be private and confidential. This has been going on for months. Upper management should be aware of this. It's a turn off.

5. "Unprofessional and Unethical"

I worked at L'Occitane full-time

Pros

Health insurance and 401k decent.

Cons

Wish there was a rating of 0 honestly.

So many things to list.

Unprofessional and unethical behaviors from regional directors and from district managers.

Many store managers break labor rules as well as higher upper management and corporate partners.

This place is an unhealthy enviorment and if you value your mental and emotional health, stay away.

There are a lot of underlying racist values as well.

Advice to Management

Take an ethics course and stop hiring friends. Hire honest people that uphold integrity.

"Manager will run off talent; insecure, unethical, abusive."

Current Employee - PTSA
    Current Employee - PTSA

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The products are good, stores are beautiful, mission statements are great, but if only they were followed. The job could be fun and educational if you have a decent manager.

Cons

Hire managers who value associates & do not gossip about them. Way to destroy a team, but then that's the point when you are trying to make yourself look like no one can do it better than you..only possible if you beat down your employees. All you hear is negative comments, no matter how much you sell. People work to survive and hopefully enjoy what they do. Having a manager who is unsupportive and unprofessional and ineffective with people management will hurt your brand and sales. Managers who rule with fear so you are afraid to ask a question then create a negative environment is hurting sales. One should not breath a sigh of relief only to see its an endless game your manager plays by targeting each employee monthly to gossip about and asking other associates to look for issues.

Advice to Management

HR needs to get feedback on managers from associates, only way to address potential lawsuits or loss of talent. Some DM's too close to managers who have issues and ignore management problems. Good managers do not abuse associates in front of others which ultimately stains your brand.

"It was great at the beginning"

Pros

- I always looked forward to gratis
    -Lovely product (I genuinely like everything)
    - The store set up is beautiful!

Cons

I loved this job when I was a part timer but when I got promoted I began to see the negative parts... Mostly everything I've read on here is true sadly...
    -Why do they sale other skin care products? What's the point?? They ONLY want you to sell Divine! You can make your skincare percentage but if you don't sell a lot of Divine forget about being recognized. Divine isn't for everyone and frankly not everyone can afford it so why shove it down every customers throat. We have other awesome skin care that just sits there!
    -Work/Life balance hahahaha what's that??? I'm even not a manager but I here I am taking calls of my days all the time.
    -Speaking of management... Hire competent managers! My manager hires people but doesn't train them properly so I'm having to go behind her and train them the right way. She doesn't work very efficiently as a manager to the point that the part timers seek me for guidance .During my time I've gone through several store managers and a couple of district managers. We went MONTHS without a manager working open to closes days by ourselves days on end EACH time we didn't have a manager even when it was known way in advance. We'd confront the higher ups but the were too busy opening a new flagship stores to care about our little store... part timers essential rule the place.
    -No room to grow and false hopes.
    -Doesn't come out with new product like they used to but discontinues all the time which is frustrating for customers.
    -Too many last min changes to campaign often times instructions are vague and unclear.
    -The company is going down hill with all the new changes coming soon and all the DMs being let go its really concerning. The amount of people leaving corporate is insane every bonjour memo another person leaving...
    I could go on and on but bottom line only work as part time it will save you a lot of stress.

8. "Learn a lot"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, England (UK)

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Possibility to learn a lot

Cons

Senior employees quite rude and like to insult their employees.

Advice to Management

Please respect and appreciate your people more.

"Bad Management"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The products have an interesting history, are organic, and are quite nice for your skin

Cons

Lack of training for employees, lack of accountability with management, no response from corporate office regarding important issues (let alone follow up)

Advice to Management

Stop hiring managers who are bullies, elitist, and also exclusive towards people of color. Management in the upper echelon get more anglo as you go upwards. Be responsive towards your staff instead of signing up to die in the companies very shaky infrastructure.

"Worst Job I've Ever Had"

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Discount was fair
    -Everyone was a keyholder

Cons

-Next to no upper level management
    -Extremely strict dress code
    -No room for moving up in the company whatsoever, everyone above sales associates were hired in
    -Unfair pay, with no raises or loyalty towards those who had worked there longest
    -High pressure sales tactics
    -Relatively unsafe work environment (many high shelves in back rooms led to boxes and items being dropped on me)
    -Aggression from management if goals were not met/exceeded every single day
    -Surprise visits from upper level management, insinuating longtime employees could not be trusted
    -Absolutely zero respect from company and management for work/life balance, employees are expected to prioritize their job over everything else in their life, including school, family, etc.
    -Often received calls on days off and late at night from management asking for things such as availability, help with customers via phone, etc.
    -Management would not allow calls to their home once they left work even if there was a problem, but employees were expected to be on call at all times.
    -Misleading information given to customers on purpose

11. "Belle expérience mais mal rémunéré"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bonne ambiance de travail
    Locaux dans Paris
    Autonomie
    Entrepreunariat développé

Cons

Pas assez de reconnaissance salariale
    Bonus maigres