L'Occitane Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 27, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management does not give store-level employees the support they need to meet their goals and succeed (in 32 reviews)

• Little respect for work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

1. "Part Time Sales Associate"

Current Employee - PT Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - PT Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working in the small boutique environment. The products are well made and world known. I like the one-on-one customer service approach. I believe in the company's commitment to natural, organic ingredients. The discount is generous (40%), and we often receive free product. There is plenty of opportunity for product/sales training. There is an in-house Talent Advancement Program in which my manager and I worked through a booklet that trained my to be a store manager.

Cons

At my location there are no full-time positions available except for store manager. I would have to relocate to advance. There are no benefits for part-time. Sometimes the company posts a directive then changes it, so being flexible is important. As with all retail there are certain products that are expected to sell more than others and that can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Streamline in-store/web-only promotions. Realize all the boutiques are not created equal-some markets are not like New York, LA, or Chicago.

"Promising for Retail Employment"

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are interested in retail, I would encourage you to look into L'Occitane. They have respectable benefits and pay and with the right management, this can be a fulfilling job. There seems to be a lot of potential for upward mobility if you are interested in that. Really though, I work for an excellent Store Manager and that has made a world of difference in my experience.

Cons

There are not many opportunities for full time employees. There is a major disconnect between "corporate" and retail level and many instructions do not work well in practice on the store level. It can be frustrating too to be a part of a European company knowing that their experience overall within the company is very different to ours.
    There is a lot of stress involved in being expected to meet certain sales goals when we do everything in our power but are still falling under.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your team members/ store managers more.

Also it is really frustrating how temporary products are. Every day there is at least one upset customer who was loyal to a specific scent or product.

"Worst Job I've Ever Had"

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Discount was fair
    -Everyone was a keyholder

Cons

-Next to no upper level management
    -Extremely strict dress code
    -No room for moving up in the company whatsoever, everyone above sales associates were hired in
    -Unfair pay, with no raises or loyalty towards those who had worked there longest
    -High pressure sales tactics
    -Relatively unsafe work environment (many high shelves in back rooms led to boxes and items being dropped on me)
    -Aggression from management if goals were not met/exceeded every single day
    -Surprise visits from upper level management, insinuating longtime employees could not be trusted
    -Absolutely zero respect from company and management for work/life balance, employees are expected to prioritize their job over everything else in their life, including school, family, etc.
    -Often received calls on days off and late at night from management asking for things such as availability, help with customers via phone, etc.
    -Management would not allow calls to their home once they left work even if there was a problem, but employees were expected to be on call at all times.
    -Misleading information given to customers on purpose

"Bad Management"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The products have an interesting history, are organic, and are quite nice for your skin

Cons

Lack of training for employees, lack of accountability with management, no response from corporate office regarding important issues (let alone follow up)

Advice to Management

Stop hiring managers who are bullies, elitist, and also exclusive towards people of color. Management in the upper echelon get more anglo as you go upwards. Be responsive towards your staff instead of signing up to die in the companies very shaky infrastructure.

5. "Great side job"

Pros

Really enjoy working here! It really feels like a team effort and not to mention the products are amazing.

Cons

Sometimes the goals are really high putting a lot of stress on the employees.

6. "Good but could be better"

I worked at L'Occitane full-time

Pros

Great incentives such as free products during new campaigns

Cons

No room for growth and strict on hours provided to employees

"Ok for part time work. flexible schedules"

I worked at L'Occitane part-time

Pros

Good team atmosphere, good company values

Cons

Non competitive pay, bonuses hard to achieve

Advice to Management

Pay a living wage to retain good employees

"No room for growth"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive work environment and high end products.

Cons

No room for growth, low hourly rate.

Advice to Management

Give outstanding employees a chance to move up in the company or at least give raises based on individual performance, I've seen some amazing co workers leave because they were over looked.

9. "Best French Based Company"

Former Employee - Junior Executive Client Experience Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Executive Client Experience Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at L'Occitane (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is one of the best company I've ever worked for they gave me a great opportunity and they also gave me a lot of room for personal contributions to cultural awareness and cultural diversity!

Cons

All the corporate location are in only two states!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Key holder (part time sales associate)"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate/Key Holder
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate/Key Holder

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Doesn't pay bad, nice co workers, fun environment, and doesn't have commission..which I like, because the co workers help each other, and nobody gets in fights or tries to steal each other's clients, because of that I find that we have a really friendly/professional type of environment.

Cons

We have goals to sell certain products, its too forceful and makes all the clients uncomfortable and scared to come back.

I get the goals, but every few months, we have a different focus on a certain product, that we have to sell. The problem with that is, everyone wants to sell the product at all costs.

Alot of times the costumers specifically say they DONT want the product or whatever, that they just wants what they came in to buy, and we (the employers) end up making them feel unconfortable and annoyed because we have to follow up with the instructions we are given.

Advice to Management

Work on selling the "focus products" by offering it once and giving a brief explanation, without forcing and accepting no for an answer.