L'Occitane Reviews | Glassdoor

L'Occitane Reviews

Updated May 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management does not give store-level employees the support they need to meet their goals and succeed (in 31 reviews)

• Little respect for work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

"Acting District Manager"

Current Employee - Acting TSDM in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Acting TSDM in Miami, FL

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Title , The Power, - being in charge of everyone. I know more than all these new hires. I have managed many stores.

Cons

People that challenge me. Like other Store Managers that are just jealous. But I've been with the company the longest and that's how we're supposed to be promoted on.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting those that have been with the company the longest. Stop bringing outsiders.

"Prosperity is a joke"

Former Employee - Boutique Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Boutique Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The products are effective for the most part. The gratis for new campaigns. The skin care and body care is good.

Cons

Overall awful place to work if you're not in a high volume location. If you have some challenges, reprimanded instead of coached & assisted.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people again! I was with the brand long enough to remember a time when you invested in your people. New stores had new store classes for fresh team members. There was selling for success class and selling skin care class. You were once able to go to a refresher class if you were struggling. Leadership used to reach out to uncover to root cause of struggles & worked with you for a plan of action. Now, the new "leadership" are just mean and rude. I think it's awful how these DM's are allowed to treat their employees. Blatant favoritism. It's a terrible feeling to know you're doing all you can to be a success but you're torn down instead of encouraged and assisted. L'Occitane do you see this? Are you reading this? Do you care to do better? You're losing some amazing people and you need to get it together before the brand crumbles altogether.

"Once Upon A Time..."

Former Employee - PTSA in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - PTSA in Washington, DC

Pros

...the job was good. It was full of fun, friendly, dedicated staff who wanted to bring the joy of Provencal cosmetics to new and existing clients. The work environment was once positive and I believe it can be again.

Cons

The company has been headed in an awful direction recently and every action taken smacks of desperation. Operations truly are a nightmare as one boutique manager pointed out. There is way too much that is disorganized from an operational stand point at the corporate level. But the problems are in the boutiques as well. If you are perceived as being a threat to anyone of any kind at any time, you will be slandered, libeled, and verbally brutalized to your face and behind your back. No one in management impacting any location in my district is a decent or trustworthy individual. There is a very pervasive, virulent sickness that is an epidemic in the district where I work. People in higher positions think they don't see anything wrong but are simply being manipulated by their employees and management teams. Its pathetic, sad and unhealthy.

Advice to Management

Learn to recognize deception, learn to recognize when your employees are manipulating you. You will continue to lose the respect of a staff who already held you in low regard if you continue to allow children fighting over jobs to get their ways to the detriment of the successful employees you have. You look like a joke.

"Living through Prosperity"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

I began working for L'Occitane as a PTSA, while in college full-time, and interning within my major.

L'Occitane was a place I could leave my stress at the door and show customers why I fell in love with L'Occitane being a customer before I started working for the company.

After graduating, my DM (who also got promoted 6 months later) gave me the amazing opportunity to manage a store in Washington DC, this was my first time managing a L'Occitane boutique.

I got a moving package and signing bonus!

What I have learned and am so grateful for is, everyday I am able to teach and hire associates just like myself looking for the opportunity to make the best out of each and everyday.

My own personal career growth was achievable because of hard work, a great work environment and I wanted to be able to give the same opportunity to others.

I have learned no matter what challenge may lie ahead professionally I have the support and encouragement, of my District, Region, and L'Occitane.

I was mentored by champions who taught me everything I know; The Always, Prosperity, and I am forever indebted to them.

I look forward to developing more talent, expanding the company, and my own professional career with L'Occitane.

Cons

High turnover in the DC job market, creating retention and talent issues due to the transient population.

Advice to Management

Stay Transparent

"Great Company, Great Values"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel truly valued as a L'Occitane employee and have had lots of opportunities for growth and enrichment.

Cons

The workload can be heavy, management holds a high standard and high expectations for all employees, but you are always rewarded fairly.

"Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane (More than a year)

Pros

The company has great people working there who love the product and care about the brand

Cons

People receive undeserved promotions not based of job performance but popularity

Advice to Management

Offer more growth opportunities if you want to keep the employees happy

"Nightmare Company"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the product is amazing and love using it

Cons

Salary, Development, Leadership + turnover

Advice to Management

Even when guiding management, too arrogant to take advice - corporate office/environment is filled with bugs, and like a telemarketing sales office

9. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane (More than 10 years)

Pros

Gratis is good...discount is good.....some of the products are good..nothing else is good about this company.

Cons

Reading these reviews shows that nothing has change and I could never imagine that they could get worse...but they did...upper management doesn't appreciate who they have working there...they manage by intimidation....they actually falsify reviews to not give you a raise...forget trying to go to HR..they're even worse. This company was great at one time , many years ago...it won't be long before they crash and burn...which I find very sad.

Advice to Management

Bring back your old school ways....the employees are vital to your business. ..they are the ones who connect to your customers...clean up upper management.

"Great product, mismanaged brand."

Former Employee - Part-Time Key Holder in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Part-Time Key Holder in Nashville, TN

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful beauty products made with natural ingredients, relaxing store environment, monthly gratis with each new product collection and decent monthly bonus when your store makes its sales goal. Good place to grow operational skills, and a hands on retail experience because you work in a small team and everyone has to learn how to manage different aspects of the business.

Cons

Low volume stores don't have any full-time positions except for one manager so there is no room for growth. You end up taking a lot of responsibility and up to 30h but no benefits or proper compensation. There is a lot of product knowledge to learn, and confusing promotions to keep up with.

Advice to Management

Don't invest so much money into changing your visuals all the time and launching multiple new products several times per year, customers can't keep up with it. Focus on your best selling product lines and invest more into marketing your customer favorites. Compensate your employees based on experience and productivity so that mangers don't abuse part-time workers by assigning extra responsibility without additional pay or benefits.

11. "Could not work for a more beautiful brand"

Current Employee - District Manager in Miami, NM
    Current Employee - District Manager in Miami, NM

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The growth opportunity within the brand and the team unity the company emphasizes truly stands out for me. I have worked for great leaders that have truly helped guide me and get me into the management position I am currently In.

Cons

The training has been a bit challenging for the brand but I continuously see grown and progress on a yearly basis due to the open communication we are always asked to share our opinions