L'Occitane Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management does not give store-level employees the support they need to meet their goals and succeed (in 32 reviews)

• Little respect for work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

"Learn a lot and fall in love!"

Former Employee - Sales in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Sales in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing products, flexible schedule and wonderful customers. Generous discount and gratis. Fun atmosphere when the right people are in the business! Learn about running a business and learn about skincare. If you love beauty products and working with people you will be in heaven every day!

Cons

Small team. Maybe too small. Everyone is a key holder and everyone must be really dependable and happy or the team suffers.

2. "Great company, amazing products"

I worked at L'Occitane part-time

Pros

It's easy to sell when you believe in what you're selling. The products are wonderful, you never feel bad about recommending even the most expensive items because they are all great and worth the money.
    The staff at least in my experience was great, it felt like a little family.
    There are no individual goals which makes it easier for everyone to work together to make the store goal.

Cons

The goals sometimes can be stressful, but nothing that you can't handle especially if you have a supportive manager.

"Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great in the beginning, starting out. Good hours with ok pay. Health insurance with a 401 k plan

Cons

Favorites all over the place, hard work goes unnoticed.

Advice to Management

Take a look of your associates and stop promoting the wrong people.
    Training sucks, do better than reading from a book

"FT Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Full Time Sales Lead in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales Lead in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good employee Gratis program. The products are amazing. Benefits are good when available to you. Some good co-workers.

Cons

Management borders on abusive. Telling a pregnant woman to sit on the floor then yelling at her when she does as told. No consistency, would be told to do something one day then yelled at for it the next day. Management was belittling to staff that worked hard and praised personal favorites regardless of job performance of either. No accountability for management. Taking simple information to district manager was considered insubordinate so reporting anything wrong was deemed treason and you would be fired. Known for promising big and never delivering. Things like pay rates,benefits, job titles and raises.

Advice to Management

Threat your people well and they will work hard for you. Intimidation and frankly breaking laws is not the way to treat a staff. Don't sell a package you can't deliver. And to upper management and HR promoting people that violate laws protecting a "Protected Class" employee aren't the type of person you should have representing the company.

"Employee Beware"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want a challenging environment to hone your sales skills, this is the job for you. You are expected to hustle for that Divine sale as if your livelihood depends on it. The products are great, my coworkers are amazing & the customers are pretty amazing too.

Cons

Welcome to the mean girls club. When hired you are promised so much.....then when you question why these promises are not met, they say it's due to poor performance. What about your performance? It varies from week to week. You see no matter how well you do, if the manager does not like you, or prefers someone over you, then you will get the crap shifts and the low hours. Initially they review your performance with you as a means of "making you better". Lies. Numbers matter. You are expected to hustle as if you are earning commission, But your not. You are expected to be a skincare expert within about a month, with minimal training. There have been at least two employees with excellent numbers, the best infact. However, since they were not liked, they received the worst shifts and hours. I haven't even touched on the slander and sabotage encouraged to justify their nastiness. Prepare to have your skin thickened.

Advice to Management

Be consistent, with each employee when it comes to goals and standards. Be upfront about expectations when hiring someone. Hours are performance based, that's something a new hire needs to know upfront. I came from a retail environment where I had to push a credit card. I was looking to avoid the stress of that environment and learn about some amazing products while in school. Had I known that this job would be even more stressful I would not have taken it! I've also seen new employees promised a specific number of hours upon arrival, only to have more than half of their hours yanked away due to performance. You could be messing with their livelihood. Also, stop encouraging a competitive "hunger games" like environment. The shop is too small for that sort of atmosphere.

"PTSA"

Pros

good discounts, great products & gratis

Cons

horrible horrible treatment for management

"Rags or Riches"

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros, Smart Company as far as training and company resources go. Gratis program and employee compensation fair. The old bonus structure was motivating. Strong and motivated leaders in the past.

Cons

Cons, The bottom line just depends who sits on the thrown for the day. The company fosters Prosperity as their core value, but do not practice what they preach. Their is much favoritism in the brand even though they chose to over look it.
    I'm a prodigy of hard work, growing the business, creating promotion from within, and successfully achieving company contest, and clearly, its not what this brand is all about!
    In addition, what's even the most horrific tale about this company, is that, common core humane ethics aren't being adhered too either.
    It's obvious, this company has goon from polished armor to a dead wrenched under performing brand.
    Hey! maybe they are setting a new trend for retail.

Advice to Management

Reread what has been written.

"Provencal experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Getting the chance to experience Provence with their natural ingredients and true stories about the origins of their products.

Cons

Small company for skincare in my opinion. Doesn't have too many opportunities for full time

"Best Company I have Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Beachwood, OH
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Beachwood, OH

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

L'Occitane makes great strides to maintain and access the happiness and sustainability of their employees. They put the right people in each role from HR to Payroll to Managers to keep the work environment positive and progressive.

Cons

Like any job there are moments where work/life balance are difficult but they acknowledge and adapt to make things better when an issue does arrive.

"All that glitters isn't gold"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary was initially good, gratis is nice but also limited. I love the products and my colleagues. The boutiques are esthetically pleasing to the eye

Cons

So many opportunities for the company to improve upon. Haven't had a raise in 2 yrs! Monthly goals are inflated so bonus is off the table. I have never received a bonus since I began 2 yrs ago.A lot of wasted money on props for Windows that could go toward a better incentive program. Similar brands offer commission. If we are indeed a prestige brand then act like it. Stop hiring people that don't look the part of a prestige brand manager.

Advice to Management

Regional directors are rude and don't align with the culture the company tries to create with the idea of Prosperity. HR is better then before but still seems to only have the upper managements best interest in mind, at least in California. Listen to your people. Last year I spoke to a regional about my goals for when I graduate with my degree and her response was: 'well, those positions are all in NY, so I guess that's out for you'. She assumed that I couldn't relocate and then just wrote me off. I was very discouraged.