L'Occitane Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

L'Occitane Store Manager Reviews

Updated July 27, 2017

Store Manager

3.5
L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger
Reinold Geiger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management does not give store-level employees the support they need to meet their goals and succeed (in 32 reviews)

• Little respect for work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

1. "LOVE!"

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Treated with respect. Not micro-managed - trusted. The products undeniably amazing. Customers are the best. Loyal to the brand. Decent pay. Challenging but fun. I can't say enough about how much I enjoy working for L'Occitane.

Cons

The only downside as a manager is finding and retaining excellent part time Beauty Advisors. They love the job, but often pursue other full time interests.

Advice to Management

Keep on being smart and caring! No company is perfect, but I appreciate the intention behind all that you do. Thank you!

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gratis. Boutique Associates. Health insurance for full timers was impeccable, though that's really the ONLY benefit of FT.

Cons

There are so many; To name a few -- Corporate does not treat management with respect. I've had corporate visits scheduled on days off, being asked to come in at a moment's notice being told it's "non negotiable," only to be completely blown off numerous times by the same RDs. Promises of recognition were never met, to the point where I stopped telling my team of the rewards we received, because we never in fact received them. Outlet transfers were scheduled the same day as floor cleanings/ inventory/ shipment, but we "weren't allowed" to touch them if customers were on the floor. Floorsets were always amended last minute, and we were told not to do them during business hours, yet not allotted extra hours to set it. I was expected to coach my staff, but due to payroll hours there was no probable time to do so effectively, because with 100 payroll hours you only have 1 hour of overlap and after state mandated break schedules (which were also slighted by District/Corporate on numerous occasions) there left no time to do my job. No bathroom on premises, with single coverage meant either holding it or going against the wishes of corporate and locking up to head to public restrooms. Event budgets were laughable, with expectations lavish. CEO left company without any notification to company. Corporate turnover was alarmingly high in the past 3 years.. Every day there was another resignation letter. There are so many things wrong with this company. I'm very glad L'Occitane is in my rearview.

Advice to Management

I don't know what happened, but I strongly advise ALL corporate employees to spend a week on the front lines. Perhaps switch roles completely with some of your extremely resourceful, competent SMs and associates. We've been keeping you in the black for years. Contentment breeds failure.

"Operational Excellence and Leadership Benefits at L'Occitane Greater Washington"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Towson, MD

Pros

I love working for L'Occitane in the Greater Washington area. I have grown immensely from their investment in my talent both professionally and personally. At work I have learned to be a leader before a manager through effective team accountability and delegation. I am trusting more every day. I work for people who inspire me to be more successful than I knew possible, and I know my staff feels the same way about me. It's amazing to see the openness and respect in and out of my store throughout the lives who I am able to touch from each associate to every customer. I am very grateful to work for this company and in this district. If you don't consider retail employment here, you are seriously missing out.

Cons

I am required to put 5 words here but I honestly had no cons. I have been taught to see the positivity in every lesson from the senior management in this company.

"Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great in the beginning, starting out. Good hours with ok pay. Health insurance with a 401 k plan

Cons

Favorites all over the place, hard work goes unnoticed.

Advice to Management

Take a look of your associates and stop promoting the wrong people.
    Training sucks, do better than reading from a book

"Best Company I have Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Beachwood, OH
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Beachwood, OH

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

L'Occitane makes great strides to maintain and access the happiness and sustainability of their employees. They put the right people in each role from HR to Payroll to Managers to keep the work environment positive and progressive.

Cons

Like any job there are moments where work/life balance are difficult but they acknowledge and adapt to make things better when an issue does arrive.

"All that glitters isn't gold"

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary was initially good, gratis is nice but also limited. I love the products and my colleagues. The boutiques are esthetically pleasing to the eye

Cons

So many opportunities for the company to improve upon. Haven't had a raise in 2 yrs! Monthly goals are inflated so bonus is off the table. I have never received a bonus since I began 2 yrs ago.A lot of wasted money on props for Windows that could go toward a better incentive program. Similar brands offer commission. If we are indeed a prestige brand then act like it. Stop hiring people that don't look the part of a prestige brand manager.

Advice to Management

Regional directors are rude and don't align with the culture the company tries to create with the idea of Prosperity. HR is better then before but still seems to only have the upper managements best interest in mind, at least in California. Listen to your people. Last year I spoke to a regional about my goals for when I graduate with my degree and her response was: 'well, those positions are all in NY, so I guess that's out for you'. She assumed that I couldn't relocate and then just wrote me off. I was very discouraged.

"Boutique Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Ellicott City, MD
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Ellicott City, MD

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time

Pros

Low stress work environment, beautiful fragrances, lovely clientele, amazing peers, wonderful atmosphere in the boutique.

Cons

Operationally beyond dysfunctional, Divine is actually Dimethicone, as are the majority of the Skincare products there which is horrible for daily use and I feel like I'm lying to clients that it's amazing, zero payroll to grow the business but the expectations keep increasing, minimal support from the district level and further up, no growth development.

Advice to Management

Change your business model! Invest in your people and managers! Practice what you preach~ the US is not at all what this brand is about, it's 2016, get with the changing retail climate and listen to your people in the boutiques. Stop hiring interns at the corporate level and develop your existing staff. HR needs retrained, I can't believe you don't get sued more than you do for your poor decisions and infractions of the US labor laws.

"Living through Prosperity"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

I began working for L'Occitane as a PTSA, while in college full-time, and interning within my major.

L'Occitane was a place I could leave my stress at the door and show customers why I fell in love with L'Occitane being a customer before I started working for the company.

After graduating, my DM (who also got promoted 6 months later) gave me the amazing opportunity to manage a store in Washington DC, this was my first time managing a L'Occitane boutique.

I got a moving package and signing bonus!

What I have learned and am so grateful for is, everyday I am able to teach and hire associates just like myself looking for the opportunity to make the best out of each and everyday.

My own personal career growth was achievable because of hard work, a great work environment and I wanted to be able to give the same opportunity to others.

I have learned no matter what challenge may lie ahead professionally I have the support and encouragement, of my District, Region, and L'Occitane.

I was mentored by champions who taught me everything I know; The Always, Prosperity, and I am forever indebted to them.

I look forward to developing more talent, expanding the company, and my own professional career with L'Occitane.

Cons

High turnover in the DC job market, creating retention and talent issues due to the transient population.

Advice to Management

Stay Transparent

"Great Company, Great Values"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel truly valued as a L'Occitane employee and have had lots of opportunities for growth and enrichment.

Cons

The workload can be heavy, management holds a high standard and high expectations for all employees, but you are always rewarded fairly.

"Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane (More than 10 years)

Pros

Gratis is good...discount is good.....some of the products are good..nothing else is good about this company.

Cons

Reading these reviews shows that nothing has change and I could never imagine that they could get worse...but they did...upper management doesn't appreciate who they have working there...they manage by intimidation....they actually falsify reviews to not give you a raise...forget trying to go to HR..they're even worse. This company was great at one time , many years ago...it won't be long before they crash and burn...which I find very sad.

Advice to Management

Bring back your old school ways....the employees are vital to your business. ..they are the ones who connect to your customers...clean up upper management.