L&M Fleet Supply Reviews | Glassdoor

L&M Fleet Supply Reviews

2.6
Terry Matteson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fun coworkers, hectic management"

I worked at L&M Fleet Supply part-time

Pros

Most of the employees there are fun and "normal" people just trying to make a living. No extreme drama or anything drastic like that.

Cons

Management seemed very hectic and assistant managers had different job tasks. They didn't seem to coordinate very well, but if you completed tasks, you would be fine anyway.

Advice to Management

Coordinate on what you want employees to do. Realize we are also working with customers constantly so we might not be as efficient or as fast as WE would like to be in completing job tasks.

2. "Not great. Ashland location."

Former Employee - Department Head in Ashland, WI
    Former Employee - Department Head in Ashland, WI

I worked at L&M Fleet Supply full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits: insurance, 401k, dental. Coworkers.

Cons

Ashland, WI: All upper management is male. Male management regularly have relationships with employees and expect secretiveness. (This is a company wide issue) Treated me like a key holder but gave the position to an underqualified male. Give promotions to less qualified male employees. Ignore complaints about key holders playing favorites with certain departments. Expect you to work more than already scheduled (42 hrs) Lied about reviews/raises. Managers play good cop bad cop. Make people work as dept managers without dept manager pay to "prove" they are capable. Regularly "test" employees' reactions to heavier workload or tasks they don't excel at rather than train better or clarifying policy. (Intentionally wanting employees to fail, then reprimanding) Pay is less than other retailers for same positions. Discount is minimal. Scheduled every other weekend with average 2 closing shifts a week. Breaks: allowed one 1/2 hour break total for 8 1/2 hours shift. For 11 hour shift - 2 half hour breaks and optional 15. This is very hard on the body on concrete. All other retail jobs I've had (over 15 years) I would have had a 15 min morning break, half hour lunch, afternoon 15 over an 8 hr shift. Not at L&M. Older employees quit because of the joint pain, foot pain etc. Those extra breaks would help if they allowed them. Management plays favorites with employees they spend time with outside work including dept heads who regularly call in sick hungover or who have harassed female employees. Watched certain young employees get singled out and regularly verbally reprimanded in front of coworkers- unprofessional. Morale was terrible. Witnessed management drunk at work/smelled of alcohol.

Advice to Management

Where to begin... management vetting process is terrible. How about an auditing process by just observing the work environment in each store over a week per quarter? Challenging management to groom, train, and support women equally with advancement opportunities. Don't play games with your employees. Don't have relationships outside work with your employees. Including use of employees' recreational equipment/homes on weekends, or as drinking buddies. It's playing favorites. Everyone sees it. Signed, a former dept. head.

3. "Great company, good pay, OK management"

I worked at L&M Fleet Supply part-time

Pros

Great discount. Good pay if you are a hard worker. Good hours (PT is around 40/week).

Cons

Management was unrealistic in what they wanted done each day. Some managers very pushy, some were OK (realizing they are trying to run a store).

Advice to Management

Talk with each other to figure what who has been assigned to completing what duties and stop giving conflicting tasks.

4. "L&M Fleet Supply"

Pros

Paid Holidays, work every other weekend, double time on Sundays, pretty flexible with scheduling when they listen, can be very fun

Cons

Working for over a year full time but everybody new as part time makes more.

Management can treat badly. Expected to do way more than what you get paid for.

Too many figures of authority.

Advice to Management

Treat everybody the same and don't play favorites. Just because they're kiss ups doesn't make them better than everyone else.

5. "Sales Representative / Cashier"

Former Employee - Sales Representative/Cashier in Park Rapids, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative/Cashier in Park Rapids, MN

I worked at L&M Fleet Supply full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The retirement plan. Your time card is walking in and out of the front doors.

Cons

The management is harsh, the pay is very low and you only get one 1/2 hr break ( and that is for dinner) up to a 10 1/2 hr shift. It's a long time standing and walking on concrete for 42 1/2 hrs a week.

Advice to Management

Education on how to treat employees.

6. "Great company and great values but..."

Former Employee - Cashier in Bemidji, MN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Bemidji, MN

I worked at L&M Fleet Supply full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A small handful of people I worked with were extremely fun and great to work with. I was able to connect with people from different backgrounds and learned a lot of different information relating to the products we carried because of my coworkers. I always looked forward to going to work!

Cons

One word: Drama. I worked as a cashier and then the returns desk. I was one of the few cashiers interested in doing so but it didn't seem to go over very well and senior employees told me I was stepping on toes. I enjoyed the work I did but as soon as someone had the opportunity to throw me under the bus they did. There was a lot of gossip and back stabbing at the location I worked. It seemed the regular employees did not appreciate the newbies.

Advice to Management

Be consistent and considerate. Listen to everyone's point of view on a disagreement between employees and take the time to investigate the truth.