L3 Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 22, 2018
2,023 reviews

Full-timePart-time

3.3
L3 Technologies Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and President Christopher E. Kubasik
Christopher E. Kubasik

2,023 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company, awesome culture, benefits and 9/80 work schedule (in 85 reviews)

• Pay and benefits is very competitive (in 65 reviews)

1. "AFS"

I worked at L3 Technologies full-time

Pros

The salary and benefits were excellent.

Cons

Communication between shifts was lacking at times causing confusion and tasks to be repeated.

2. "Planner"

I have been working at L3 Technologies full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule. Work with a lot of great people

Cons

Hard to advance without a degree

Advice to Management

Pretty good to work with.

"An excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at L3 Technologies full-time

Pros

Work life balance
    Fair compensation package
    Lots of promise and room for growth
    People seem to really care about what they do

Cons

Out-dated work model: Monday- Friday 8-5 type of place. Needs to modernize ASAP. I have many friends who would love to work there if not the lack of flexibility in the work hours.

Advice to Management

Join 2018 and study modern business practices.
    New talent is not going to embrace the lack of a flexible work environment. Offer people the opportunity to work four tens like many other companies. Money is not everything and flexibility in work hours goes a LONG way in recruiting new talent.

"Opportunities"

I have been working at L3 Technologies full-time

Pros

Will gain experience, lots of opportunities to grow.

Cons

Red tape but expected with a large company

"Great company"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at L3 Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, good benefits, good people and decent culture. Managers care about their people, and the company values employee opinions. Will work well with your schedule if you are in school or in the military. The work helps the war fighters and gives you a sense of pride.

Cons

Layoffs seem to be a tool management uses too often. This has hurt the culture. The amount of work seems to be drying up some, but is cyclical.

Advice to Management

Try to level load the work better instead of pulling in work to meet corporate numbers. This leaves holes in production causing layoffs or hiring frenzies. It hurts the culture and reduces loyalty to the company.

"less than one year"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at L3 Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Respectful, agile, honestly addressing customer needs and motivated for honest continuous improvement

Cons

Frankly the best job I've ever had!

Advice to Management

good luck with the continued growth and bodacious vision

7. "Managing Director"

Former Employee - Managing Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at L3 Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay. Strong Support Service team!

Cons

average benefits. Upper management was a bit out of touch with operations

Advice to Management

Improve benefits

"Decent People, Steady Job"

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at L3 Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, a lot of great people. This is an excellent place for anyone interested in RF communications and digital signal processing.

Cons

As with any large company, there are politics involved.

9. "New ideas wanted."

Current Employee - Vice President Engineering in Leesburg, VA
    Current Employee - Vice President Engineering in Leesburg, VA

I have been working at L3 Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

L3 is a company with a diverse and accepting work force. There is a decent amount of flexibility with the working hours and with a 9/80 schedule you have every other Friday off. Pay is above average.

Cons

Like most big companies there are unfunded mandates that provide unneeded stress to those required to implement them.
    The orientation of new employees is substandard.
    Most of the technology we work with in our location is somewhat dated.

Advice to Management

Provide a centralized repository for policies, procedures and other handy information for divisions with multiple locations.

10. "Earnest, Collaborative, Transgender & Age Inclusive"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, TX

I have been working at L3 Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

After working in the L3 Link headquarters for six months, these things stand-out to me:

1. Earnestness: people here take their work, and relationships seriously. I mean this in the most positive way - people make an effort.

2. Collaborative: people work together as a team here, where some teams are organized & persistent and more are ad hoc & temporary. My job is to analyze & synthesize ideas, and I have found myself seeking various Subject Matter Experts, and as I have done so, I have developed & grown relationships. In all this there seems to be a "flattening" of any hierarchy, where people at all levels collaborate to contribute their own piece of the whole. I see this quite a lot around me. (At the same time, this does not impinge upon those who need to work alone.)

3. Transgender Inclusive: this is crucial for me because I am a woman of transgender experience, one of very few female engineers among hundreds of male ones. With the strong male & military influence here, I had braced for a backlash against my personhood - this has not happened. People here are respected for how they contribute to our goals, and my "trans-ness" (where is it know or recognized) is simply a feature of my personal background, and it is almost completely irrelevant. Nice! Some years ago, I underwent a gradual & gentle transition from male expression, form & role to female, and this change was positively embraced (with virtually no pushback); that I could become *myself*, a competent, appreciated working woman in a largely male workplace is pricelessly valuable to me. Moreover, there are a handful of transgender people working at our site, and from what I can see, they too are well received.

3. Age Inclusive: as an aging engineer, I have been concerned that I would be "pushed-out" because I am "pushing sixty." Amazingly, I have found people my age (and older) technologists at every level of seniority, working without (apparent) fear that they will be pushed-out by younger workers. The professional wisdom (hard & soft knowledge + experience) we bring to our work is appreciated here. Again, we are results-oriented here.

These four things I listed have been my personal observation, but this has also been supported by conversations I have had with my manager and our HR director. Certainly this is no "Eden" to work in, but here again, the good will of our "earnestness" seems to drive us in positive directions personally and professionally.

Cons

I miss working remotely; L3 Link seems to be phasing-out their remote workers. I worked this way for nearly a decade, along with most of my team, and we performed superbly. (The reason I am back in the office is that the program I am working in requires me to be on-site for government security purposes.)

Through the years, increasingly tightened IT security policies have made it increasingly difficult for software developers to get their jobs done, reducing productivity and sapping joy from the work. By removing more and more machine privileges from our computers, it becomes increasingly difficult to do our work, and in some cases it becomes impossible to do what we need to do. Our tools are important to us and we feel shackled by the restrictions put upon us.

Advice to Management

Please reconsider remote working, if not full-time, then part-time. The place & time flexibility of working remotely has been crucial for me to be able to balance my work responsibilities with my caregiving ones (both for my immediate and extended families).

Showing 2,023 of 2,165 reviews