L3Harris "9 80" Reviews | Glassdoor

L3Harris Employee Reviews about "9 80"

Updated Nov 21, 2019

3.4
L3Harris CEO Bill Brown
Bill Brown
Pros
  • "9/80 Work Schedual (current site)(in 12 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is good but I think that depends a lot on the team you're on(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "9 80"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Collaborative and Exciting"

Current Employee - Hardware Design Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at L3Harris full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I started working at L3Harris in Salt Lake City thinking I would stay for just a couple of years, but I have loved the collaborative environment, the culture of excellence, and the great local management so much that I plan to stay for quite a while. There’s a reason why retention is so high at L3Harris in Salt Lake City. I think the benefits and flexible work schedule (9/80 or 4/10) are really good, and the work... life balance is excellent. Most weeks I work 40 hours, and I get paid overtime when things get busy. Best of all are the great people I get to work with and the exciting problems that we solve together.

Cons

Health care costs have gone up over the past few years, but I’m guessing that’s similar everywhere at the moment.

L3Harris2019-11-21

"My experience at L3 Harris was tolerating cumbersome processes mixed with some great but also disrespectful people."

Former Employee - Production Planner in Malabar, FL

I worked at L3Harris full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company makes interesting products in a clean environment. It's 9/80 work schedule is nice. There are numerous helpful, competent people to work with and for.

Cons

Processes, databases, work flow is cumbersome if not frustrating. Certain parts of management are disrespectful to others while in the presence of peer work groups.

Advice to Management

Disrespect toward others needs reigned in with some areas. Angry people can display thoughts outside of peer work groups and production meetings. Handling of employee failings, people movement needs improvement in some areas.

L3Harris2019-11-16

"Environmental Lab: The work isn’t bad, the management is."

Current Employee - Environmental Technician in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at L3Harris full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy work, flexible PTO, 9/80

Cons

Review process take forever and is pointless. You are not directly involved in any negotiation for pay or advancement. Your supervisor discusses with you manager who discusses with their manager to determine your pay and advancement. Whenever you ask who you need to talk to it’s always “it’s above me, I don’t know.” In the end, you only get promotion based on time served instead of actual work done, quality,... responsibility, and performance. This means that you’re better off not taking on any responsibility and to do as little as possible.

Advice to Management

Talk is cheap. Actually interact with your employees and develop them. It costs more money and quality to train new employees than to pay to keep your employees.

L3Harris2019-11-15

"Great company and work balance with 9/80 Schedule"

Current Employee - Systems Integration and Test

I have been working at L3Harris full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

L3Harris is a good company. It has its challenges but overall is a decent Institution. If you want to work for it, I would say, go ahead and apply. 9/80 schedule, Super! Also the company will not fire you for any reasons, it reminds me a little bit the military, you have to really mess up in order to get fired. Thumb up!

Cons

In my opinion, the company doesn't pay good compared to other companies; that is one of the reasons many people are leaving for more competitive salaries. I gave a rating of 3/5 because of this reason.

Advice to Management

Give your engineers a better pay, your organization is a good one... if not, good people will leave.

L3Harris2019-11-04
  5. "I loved working for L3Harris!"

I worked at L3Harris full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

L3Harris has a variety of benefits to choose from, they have a 9/80 work schedule, and upward mobility available

Cons

I worked many long hours for the company, which made it sometimes hard to keep a work/life balance

Advice to Management

Don’t disregard those people with legacy knowledge of the business

L3Harris2019-10-21
  6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at L3Harris full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discrestional Vacation 9/80 Work Schedual (current site) Flexible Shcedual

Cons

Government Contractor Hard to make process changes

L3Harris2019-10-10

"Poor Life Balance and Poor Technical Leads"

Former Employee - Software Engineer()

I worked at L3Harris full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice 9/80 schedule Most managers are good Lots of neat technology Neat opportunities exist if you pursue and push them

Cons

Lots of grey-ethical decisions HR is poor at their job Hires anyone to fill positions and then doesn't remove people from positions; resulting in people leaving Overworks employees. Too competitive of an environment, making it very difficult for women trying to balance life and work to succeed. Not uncommon for employees to work long hours and high tense culture

Advice to Management

Do not encourage the overworking environment. It causes so many issues, often leading to the best employees to leave. And makes it harder on female employees. Hire more experienced technical HR individuals, & train HR to do their jobs better. Be willing to offer more (and highly encourage) development opoprtunities (on the companies dime), such as conferences, mid-day graduate classes, etc. Expect higher... degrees from most/all your employees. Do not make unethical choices or stay in the grey-area of ethics.

L3Harris2019-09-27

"Great Stepping Stone - High Job Security - Poor Long Time Career"

Current Employee - Test Engineer in West Melbourne, FL

I have been working at L3Harris full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Hard to get fired. Layoffs are very rare. Job security is very high. * Same standard benefits between new and old employees. Great for new hires, level ones, and new grads. * New grads earn 2 raises per year for the first three years. * 9/80 and 4/10 schedules offered. * Flexible schedules for salary employees. * Payed overtime for salary employees (if over 5 additional hours worked and overtime is... approved). * Ample volunteering opportunities. * Training and certification opportunities for highly valued industry skills.

Cons

* Equipment acquisition is either slow or non-existent. * Management does not value work/life balance. * Raises are meager and barely keep up with inflation, even in the top bracket. * Days missed due to natural disaster are 'made up,' meaning that the employee must work the missed hours for free during the subsequent weekends. * PRP and holiday bonuses not offered. * High turn over rate. * Meeting... schedule/budget is valued over quality of work. * Messy merger resulted in loss of ~2 weeks PTO for legacy Harris employees. Some lost more. Some lost less. * Low general morale of employees. * Level 1's are expected to act with level 3 integrity at a lower salary margin. * Little to no meaningful on-boarding training.

Advice to Management

* Value current employees more. Offer meaningful raises. Offer meaningful promotions. * Treat the impact of mandatory evacuations with respect. Pay employees if they must make up for missed time. * Do not refuse employees their expected PTO. * Clearly and objectively communicate the value of emergency closure charges before their expected use. Explain their purpose. Explain if they must be made up at a later... date. Explain their monetary value. * Clearly and objectively communicate changes in current benefits, including PTO, long before the changes take place. * Bridge the communication gap between teams on the same project/program. * Place more emphasis on product quality than schedule (schedules are too ambitious to allow the proper engineering practices that L3Harris promotes). * Streamline equipment acquisition.

L3Harris2019-09-13
  9. "Great place to work and great culture"

Former Intern - Systems Engineer in North Amityville, NY

I worked at L3Harris for less than a year

Pros

9/80 work schedule was great, coworkers were very nice and made my summer great because it was a family atmosphere. You learn a lot because they allow you to get your hands on lots of cool projects while you're there and give you autonomy as an intern. Pay and relocation stipend was good too and the work was very exciting.

Cons

Big corporate structure sometimes made it hard to get access to resources you need for projects.

Advice to Management

Make it quicker for employees to get access to data and software that they need.

L3Harris2019-09-04

"A company that provides a supportive working environment for their employees"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Orlando, FL

I have been working at L3Harris full-time for more than a year

Pros

- 9/80 Work Schedule - Christmas through New Year off with pay - Treats employees like family members - Very supportive in learning and training

Cons

- Health Care benefits could be better - Depending on your location there might not be enough work.

L3Harris2019-08-22