L3Harris Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 17, 2020

3.3
L3Harris President and CEO Bill Brown
Bill Brown

"Not a merger but an acquisition!"

I worked at L3Harris full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One of the greatest places I’ve worked !

Cons

The “merger “ is not geared towards employees, all about management, at L3 before Harris corporate did not micromanage, this is what made L3 awesome, we all were a bunch of small niche companies that did something different to support our warfighters , now Harris wants to try this cookie cutter approach that is not going to work !! Benefits are being cut or changed , most folks are waiting to see how the raises go this year before they bail out too .

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone who really care about the employees and realize DoD ain’t commercial

L3Harris2020-01-18
  2. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Rochester, NY

I worked at L3Harris full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Lots of experienced engineers to learn from - Many opportunities to try different aspects of embedded software engineering: testing, debugging, developing new features, continuous integration/build coordinating, and agile processes. - Good for new hires who want to work hard and learn - Great hours: 40 hours per week - “Unlimited” vacation if approved by manager - Fair pay

Cons

- I’ve heard it can be difficult to acquire raises. - I had a slow start. There is a lot of stuff going on at L3Harris and it is a little overwhelming. A more proper training program would be helpful.

Advice to Management

NA

"Stay Away"

Current Employee - Senior Test Technician in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at L3Harris full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay rate, benefits, and P.T.O. are decent.

Cons

The Clifton facility is nothing short of disgusting. There seems to be a shortage for storage leaving garbage, furniture, and everything but the kitchen sink throughout the hallways. The hallways are at full capacity, dark and dirty. The ceilings and walls have longtime water damage and are heavily molded?!

Advice to Management

A casual walk through the hallways and you instantly feel as if you were the soldier in a “war-zone”. Incredibly disgusting place to work. The entire place smells and is infested with cockroaches indoors, and goose droppings outdoors. Pay is decent but look towards another location if you value your health. Management may want to get a remediation company and renovate.

"Dreadful"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at L3Harris full-time

Pros

9/80 work week was awesome

Cons

Senior leadership are unethical dimwits

L3Harris2020-01-11
  5. "Decent company but clash of cultures with US leadership and a large UK contingent controlled from Florida"

Current Employee - Programmer Manager in Southampton, England

I have been working at L3Harris full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great products, strong heritage, benefits of size for investment

Cons

Fairly brutal executive management culture, US approach to management with little understanding of British work culture and HR norms

Advice to Management

Walk in the shoes of the British managers a while

L3Harris2020-01-10
  6. "Good place to work, Florida centric."

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at L3Harris full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Compensation is good. Overall, the company walks the talk on diversity and employee engagement. The current controlling management is considerably less political and punitive than previous regimes.

Cons

An aggressive corporate focus on youth and diversity leaves many older employees out of consideration for promotions, awards, etc. As a result, they feel disenfranchised and under-appreciated. Senior management from Melbourne/Palm Bay considers Florida the center of the Universe, and has the expectation that whatever is the best process or practice there should be imposed on all sites, regardless of differences in customer base, products, business model, etc.

Advice to Management

Recognize and acknowledge that businesses that you currently control were viable and successful before you acquired them, even though they are very different from the Florida businesses with which you are familiar. Recognize and acknowledge that many older employees have unique, valuable experience and industry expertise that cannot be provided by young employees, no matter how intelligent, motivated and capable.

L3Harris2020-01-10
  7. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Talent Management in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at L3Harris full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best thing about L3Harris is its engaging and intelligent workforce. Employees want to share their ideas and passions with colleagues and leadership. Some might be a little too enthusiastic to share those ideas! Most employees aspire to create a positive work environment and I've felt respected by employees of all levels, no matter my position. Most leaders want to help their employees excel and I've found wonderful mentors and sponsors throughout the company. As somebody who wants to grow, I love that there are plenty of opportunities for exposure to senior leadership and networking—should I seek it out. This is a work environment where you sometimes must take a step out of your comfort zone to accelerate your career but opportunities to take that leap of faith exist. My very expensive graduate school tuition is completely paid for by L3Harris (minus taxes). If this wasn’t an option, I’d never have been able to go back to school and create a new career path, which is fully supported by my manager and the company. Beyond this great benefit, I also enjoy the discretionary PTO. I’ve been able to take four weeks of vacation both of the past two years and always get plenty of time off around the holidays without feeling guilty. Since we are a global company, project members span the US—or even the globe. I find this exciting because I'm exposed to different ways of thinking, different methodologies, and experience different cultures. Many of my friends who work at L3Harris have also enjoyed short term work assignments abroad, with more opportunities post-merger.

Cons

Not all employees are allowed the 9/80 or 4/10 schedule, which is a great perk for some. Losing that schedule by moving to a new segment almost deterred me from accepting a new role. Some buildings are older than others and need lots of improvement but they aren't uncomfortable to work in.

L3Harris2020-01-09
  8. "Mechanical Engineer- Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Structural Analysis Engineer in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at L3Harris full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible Work Schedule Really cool projects Lots of locations if you want to relocate Good Pay Great Benefits Unlimited Vacation Nice People Low level of micromanagement

Cons

There are no Cons I can think of

L3Harris2020-01-09
  9. "Great, but not for everyone."

Current Employee - Field Technician

I have been working at L3Harris full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay, ample time off, opportunities to travel

Cons

There is potential for frequent relocation

L3Harris2020-01-07

"I wish I had better news"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at L3Harris full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is interesting work there, and many of the coworkers are very talented.

Cons

Management is the biggest issue, followed by how corporate treats its employees. Corporate has said repeatedly that we have had "an amazing year" and "record profits" and yet little to nothing has come down to the men and women that make it all happen every day. They especially target more senior employees by reducing our benefits to give to newer employees. That is a sad trend. They talk a good game about work/life balance by most of that is talk.

Advice to Management

Share the profits will all employees, not just the pets.

L3Harris2020-01-03