L7 Creative Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tom Gallego

1. "So Much Opportunity"

I have been working at L7 Creative Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great office environment - We are practically family around here. We have a lot of parties, eat a lot of pizza, the fridge is always stocked, and I sit 5 feet away from a foosball table. How cool is that?!

But in all seriousness, we have TONS of young talent. There is a great outlook with the team we have in place. These are the smartest people I've been around and we're all so passionate about what we do. There isn't one person in this office that couldn't become an industry leader.

I love coming to work every day.

Cons

The hours can get long during the busy season, but that comes with the industry we're in. Contrary to that, it can definitely get slow sometimes. But there's ALWAYS something to work on, trust me. Just go find it!

There's also been a lot of change in work processes over the last year or so, so that's always hard. BUT, with how it's been working out so far I could actually throw that into the "Pros" column. Everyone has a definitive role in the agency and we all know who to turn to for specific tasks.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, I've learned so much over the past three years it's ridiculous. Also, keep hiring from within. The talent we are cultivating here is immense. We have the team in place to take this agency to new heights.

2. "Great work environment!"

Current Employee - Account Service Assistant
    Current Employee - Account Service Assistant

I have been working at L7 Creative Communications full-time

Pros

The office has such a positive work environment with great attitudes all around. Working with people you mesh super well with is a great bonus. I like the fact that it is a smaller company, yet continuously prospering with room for growth for the employees. A few extra fun incentives in the office is that we're provided endless amounts of snacks & coffee and sometimes even Friday lunches on occasion.

Cons

We are working on a new work flow process, so getting used to it takes some time. Overall, it is working in a much more efficient manner than our previous work flow process so I don't have too many complaints here.

Advice to Management

Keep checking in on the various projects and their respective timelines and everything will keep going the way the are!

"Best team to be a part of. And fun too."

I have been working at L7 Creative Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company has an awesome work culture! I have made some of my very best friends here and management does a really good job of rewarding its employees with activities and events outside of the office. I can genuinely say I love who I work with. The morale is also really encouraging. Whether it’s coming in on a Monday after a long weekend or that last hour on a Friday before a weekend trip, my co-workers are always positive and making it fun. I also love the fast-paced environment here, it keeps me on my toes and keeps me growing for bigger positions. My supervisor is the best mentor I have ever had. Hands down. He’s taught me a lot about my professional career but has also given me a very unique perspective on tough challenges. I’ve learned life lessons that will absolutely help in my personal development and my future career.

Cons

This industry isn’t for everyone. And this agency certainly isn’t either. Although I don’t believe this to be a con, it may be to others-- You are expected to work hard here. You are expected to hit deadlines here. You are expected to take ownership of your projects here. It can be stressful at times and it’s not always easy but it’s a dynamic career, in a fast-paced industry. The outcomes are truly rewarding, and I mean that. Watching hard work and dedication come to fruition is why the sometimes late nights are worth it. It’s hard to own a project where multiple people don’t touch it, give their insight and offer their skills/expertise. It’s a great learning environment and when you watch your projects take shape over days and weeks of hard work, it is so awesome to be a part of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing your thing. Continue to better define the work process since we’re growing rapidly and let the lower level sit in on the “bigger” meetings for growing opportunities.

5. "Bring your passion to the office everyday. Do quality work & care about your client's goals as if it they were your own."

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

L7 Creative has an incredible reputation for producing high quality work. In fact their work has changed the course of many client's brand and business.

Today, It has set a course of growth and innovation and to develop unique internal projects that will position L7 Creative as an agency leader. To support this new positioning L7 Creative is growing leaders and actively seeking top agency professionals to fill critical roles within the agency.

As the first advertising agency to define and use the principles of digital brand engagement, L7 Creative is committed to growing brands by integrating creative strategies with online technologies.

For over a decade L7 Creative has been applying its proprietary Square Method² to reinvent, grow and connect brands with their audience.

Inspired by the pulse of today, L7 Creative shapes the brands that will own tomorrow.

Cons

The business is not for everyone. It takes an incredibly skilled person to work in today's agency environment. You need to be a smart problem solver who is passionate about creating, ideating and building great brands and relationships.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on short and long-term agency growth strategies. Hire nothing but the best people who are focused but flexible enough to evolve the business in the incredibly fast moving industry of full service digital agencies. Continue to evolve and learn new technologies, and acquire the skills and work processes needed to make clients great.

"Pretty good"

Former Employee - Intern in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Everyone in the office is so nice and accepting. It is a relatively relaxed environment, where everyone is friends but still gets all of their work done. They are flexible with hours. I really enjoyed this experience and would recommend this company.

Cons

My advisor often did not have work for me to do. I realized a week before I left that I should have been sending out mass emails to ask for work instead of relying on the person in charge of interns.

Advice to Management

This company has had interns for a while, so this concept is not new. I would recommend having a more expanded intern program or at least having work prepared. If their isn't work that needs to be done regularly then have a program that teaches them about the industry or something like that,.

May 23, 2016 – Director of Client Strategy

Our goal is to immerse interns with training opportunities and to this end we make every attempt to assign meaningful intern work. Fortunately we give interns project ownership and often find this ... More

"Great work environment!"

Current Employee - Account Service Assistant in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Account Service Assistant in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

I have had great experiences working here! The energy and vibe within the office couldn't be better. The group within our office all work great together, and are always willing to help each other out. I feel like I am learning a lot within all aspects of advertising and marketing and loving my opportunity here at L7 Creative.

Cons

I can't think of any so far!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

May 23, 2016 – Director of Client Strategy

It’s all starts with an open flow of communication and an attitude that is receptive to feedback – whatever that may be. In order to build trust and work together, the team is encouraged to be ... More

"Great Industry Experience!"

Pros

Working at L7 Creative has been an amazing experience! The company culture is one of the aspects i like best and everyone at this company has made me feel welcome from day #1. The weeks fly by and i genuinely love the people i work with. There is a huge sense of teamwork here and everyone works extremely hard to deliver the best results to clients. I have learned SO much about the industry while working here.

Cons

Working in an agency is a super rewarding experience but to see results and make clients happy you have to put in the time. Online marketing is a fast paced industry and to work at L7 you have to learn quickly and really jump into projects.

Advice to Management

Define stronger work process, keep gaining employee feedback! And more vacation days :)

May 23, 2016 – Director of Client Strategy

We get to work with fantastic clients on exciting projects. Oftentimes we are privileged to lead the strategic charge for our partners. We’re pleased that you believe your coworkers are smart and ... More

"It's impossible to do your job well here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at L7 Creative Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many talented people who work here, L7 Creative has amazing designers that do an incredible job

Cons

I think the biggest problem at L7 Creative is that the owner of the company (CEO or CCO) continually sabotages projects. It's very frustrating to work here. Employees are micromanaged and not trusted. The CEO has to touch and approve every project and minor detail that comes through the agency, it's exhausting trying to manage projects this way. Sometimes you will have to wait 2 weeks to get something approved by him. A project may be going smoothly, then the CEO will inject himself into the project and screw up everything! It's a nightmare. Timelines are lies, nothing can get done on time because of him. It's really unfortunate because the CEO is actually very creative and adds a lot of value to SOME projects, but since he cannot let go of control and trust his employees to do well, there is a major problem meeting deadlines at L7 and this frustrates clients. The agency is extremely inefficient, time is wasted internally at L7 Creative and the client is charged for it. Adding to this issue: The CEO does not adhere to the workflow process that everyone in the agency is required to follow, therefore his destruction of projects becomes even more pernicious, as account managers/production are left in the dark to changes to their account's projects.

Another way the CEO sabotages things at L7 is by lying to clients about timelines. He will tell a client that something will be done by a certain date, without even checking with production, or checking that the agency has the resources available. This ultimately becomes the account managers problem and they get the flack from the client. I'm not sure if he actually has memory problems or if he just chooses to lie, but he will make a decision, and tell you to act on it, and then change his mind the next day- swearing that you are the crazy one and that he never said the first thing. Keeping track of his whims is impossible and maddening.

If you are looking for a work/life balance, please don't work here. If you leave at 5:30 p.m. you will be scrutinized (especially by the owner of the company). There’s this weird believe/myth at L7 that if you work late it means that you are working harder. It’s unfortunate that those who can complete their work in 8 hours are looked at as lazy employees. There are employees here who stay until 7/8pm every night, not because they are working extra hard, but because they are inefficient. Another reason you may stay extra late at L7 Creative is because of the CEO's ever changing mind and his ability to sabotage every single project that comes through the agency.

Lastly, this is a "family" business, so expect there to be favoritism. The "rules" in the employee handbook are not applied fairly to all employees. There is so much at L7 Creative that is wrong, but I don't have the space to write a novel. If you choose to work at L7 Creative you might meet some really cool people and get some pretty good experience BUT I guarantee you will be frustrated to the point of madness and you won't be able to do your job well (and YOU will be blamed for this).

Advice to Management

STOP sabotaging projects, TRUST your employees. You hired these people to do a job, let them do it!

"Very Disapointing Employment Experance"

I worked at L7 Creative Communications full-time

Pros

Depending on your career path marketing agency experience could look good on your resume.

Cons

Where do I start… I’ve never worked at a company who was so untrusting of their staff. Employee emails, phone calls, personal conversations were monitored and then used against you in various ways. The owner’s family members work for the company and watch you like a hawk.
    Don’t think about leaving before 6 unless you want to be judged or given dirty looks. I can go on and on, I’m not sure why the employees aren’t trusted but it definitely makes for an awkward work environment.

Advice to Management

Trust your staff and consider working with them on career pathing unless you want to continue to turnover staff and remain a small mom and pop design shop.

"Stand clear."

Former Employee - Digital Account Coordinator in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Account Coordinator in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at L7 Creative Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gain some basic work experience in a cool office. You can learn a lot from Harley. Some clients are special and great to work with, but overall this company isn't doing anything innovative.

Cons

Micromanagement, big company level politics, and inflated egos at a family business. You cannot work less than 40 hours or leave early, but overtime isn't recognized or appreciated.

Advice to Management

Follow your own rules and let your employees do what you hired them for. Pay decent salaries. Hold yourself accountable.
    Do you realize everyone begins counting down the week on Monday morning? No one is happy.