LA Fitness Reviews
42% would recommend to a friend
(4977 total reviews)
44% approve of CEO
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Free membership & people are great not the company" (in 183 reviews)
- "The coworkers are great and the atmosphere of the gym is that of a smaller one." (in 104 reviews)
- "Fun work environment and coworkers" (in 82 reviews)
- "had a flexible schedule and most of my co workers were fun to be around." (in 79 reviews)
- "Staff itself can be friendly and fun to work with" (in 78 reviews)
- "Low pay even if you have a good amount of experience and they are not willing to give promotions to group ex" (in 565 reviews)
- "poor management can cause the environment to be better or worse" (in 302 reviews)
- "Long hours are expected but they do make sure u get paid for every second you are there!" (in 216 reviews)
- "workers (mostly the trainers) were mad creepy and tried to get me to pay for personal training." (in 132 reviews)
- "The managers have no management training." (in 124 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of LA Fitness and is not affected by filters.
Found 4,977 of over 5K reviews
Updated Nov 29, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 1.0Nov 28, 2023General ManagerFormer Employee, more than 1 yearHuntingdon Valley, PA
I worked here for 2 years. From day one, they will tell you HOW you can get paid instead of WHAT you actually get paid. Expect to work 6 days a week too with no work life balance... horrible 10 hour days for slave wages.... even if your club is doing well in sales the VPs will still belittle you and tell you that you can do better. I was GM making 40k salary running memberships and personal training sales. I'm a single guy with no kids and still lived paycheck to paycheck with this horrible company. They lie and manipulate you on a daily basis. Micromanage you to get 100 phone cold calls out of you in 2023 thinking that still works.. The computers and systems they use are from the early 2000s, (still using Microsoft Windows computers from the 1990s) and Skype with phones that don't even have buttons on them. They are too cheap to even get newer decent technology in their gyms to help their employees out. They would rather defend predators who still work in management over people like me who made some more less mistakes and constantly hit the numbers they asked of me (bonusing etc,) .... you are better off working at McDonald's then dealing with the headaches of this corrupt cheap company!
6 day work weeks with 1 day off a week if you're lucky. Not including you don't get paid time and a half for holidays etc.
- 4.0Nov 29, 2023Sales CounselorFormer Employee
You can learn a lot about sales from this job. A lot of downtime so it is not a straining job.
Management was all over the place. Lots of drama. I went through 3 different bosses/teams within 9 months of working there.
- 3.0Nov 27, 2023Master TrainerFormer EmployeeTigard, OR
No sales pressure, just train clients.
You got to work hard if you want to make money, but if you're good at training the general population and all levels of fitness you'll do well.
- 3.0Nov 27, 2023Operations ManagerFormer Employee, more than 1 yearMiami, FL
The members are nice and you can make friends.
You are responsible for everything, but sales. But most of the time, you are responsible for salespeople too, and the issues they constantly cause.
- 3.0Nov 26, 2023Personal TrainerFormer Employee
You get to set your own schedule
The pay is very low for personal trainers. If you have one session for the day, that is only half an hour of pay
- 2.0Nov 28, 2023Customer Service RepresentativeFormer Employee, more than 1 yearTemecula, CA
Decent environment, free membership, nice regulars.
Minimum wage pay, annoying regulars, lack of organization.
- 2.0Nov 27, 2023Certified Personal TrainerFormer Employee, less than 1 yearSan Diego, CA
Free gym membership, friendly atmosphere.
Low pay, lots of no shows, unable to choose clients, long in between hrs with nothing to do.
- 4.0Nov 25, 2023Operations ManagerFormer Employee, less than 1 yearTucson, AZ
Chilled, good community of customers
Little challenge, little pay and not for analytical folks or overachievers academically
- 4.0Nov 23, 2023Front Desk ReceptionistFormer Employee, more than 1 yearLeesburg, VA
easy work and free membership
You are basically part of sales, you main job when not checking in customers is calling those that have not paid membership
LA Fitness Reviews FAQs
LA Fitness has an overall rating of 3.1 out of 5, based on over 5,095 reviews left anonymously by employees. 42% of employees would recommend working at LA Fitness to a friend and 34% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.
42% of LA Fitness employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated LA Fitness 2.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.8 for culture and values and 2.9 for career opportunities.