KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

LA Fitness (UK) Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2021

Found 79 of over 79 reviews

2.3
LA Fitness (UK) CEO Martin Long  (no image)
Martin Long
Pros
  • "Free gym membership, Pretty Ladies, Cool atmosphere(in 13 reviews)

• "Free GYM access to all LA Fitness GYM's(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "underpaid, making false promotion deals, no benefits, sketchy co managers(in 5 reviews)

• "First, I was called a master trainer even though I was new to personal training(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Best job ever

Jun 16, 2014 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

I loved working in this environment

Cons

i have no cons for this company

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Unethical Treatment

Mar 15, 2014 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Experience in sales that allowed me to progress into a better job.

Cons

Had I read the reviews (nation-wide) regarding L.A. Fitness' treatment of employees, I would have steered clear. Cold call, door-to-door marketing and sales tactics, chasing people through parking lots to their cars, walking into businesses and trying to secure "x" amount of appointments a day for sales "goals" to be met...was not worth the minimum wage. Being forced to market 2 hours a day, driving your own car around with no reimbursement for mileage or gas to come back empty handed, then to make 100 phone calls to people who complained about being called too many times was such a waste of time. I was sexually harassed on a daily basis, and was actually told by management to use that to my advantage to get sales and appointments. When sending out mass texts for "specials" from our own phones to get people to come in, I was getting phone calls and sexual texts from people I had never texted in the first place with my number circulating and being followed and watched...even when I would be out to eat and off the clock. "Oh, you're the sexy girl from L.A. Fitness (mid bite of my meal). I've heard about you." (when I had never met or seen these people in my life) They don't use any money to market and promote- they use the sales reps and pay them less than minimum wage after taxes. The gym was overpopulated, which actually caused people to go elsewhere, but L.A. Fitness just wanted more. Do yourself a favor, and don't waste your time and energy.

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Very easy if you are comfortable on the phone but very unorganized and unprofessional

Jul 23, 2014 - Front Desk
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Free Gym Membership -Great atmosphere for a people person or a person into health and wellness. -I make more base pay than sales counselors and commission is very rewarding and easy to get if you don't mind calling people.

Cons

-Working with sales team can be crazy. Often untrained and unprofessional. Counselors would curse in front of guests, even had one curse AT a guest which is awkward either way because the guest always looks at me like I should be saying something. -Not a very strenuous job so people think they can just call off whenever, even the day before, leaving you to pick up their shift. More money but would rather not feel obligated to take your shift. -Management structure is very strange. Don't know who I should be reporting to half the time.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

No clue how they made it as big as they have

Jul 9, 2014 - Personal Training Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

free membership, opportunity to meet a ton of people, fast track management

Cons

Too much fast track management (which they often promote people before they are ready to handle a larger role), multiple conference calls that waste 2-3 hrs a day yet they complain about "maximizing time", typical corporate sales pitch, Personal Training prices are very out of control, Hire unqualified trainers quite frequently, zero customer service skills, will move you from club to club to help avoid you getting "too comfortable" (they do this to avoid people becoming too friendly with members so they dont offer discounts, free services...to members the employees get to know well, NO FACIAL HAIR even if well kept (they seriously think theyre the NY Yankees of fitness clubs), little to no leadership from the top on down, all hype and no show (management would always tell this is going to happen or that is gonna change here and nothing ever did as long as the club is profitable)...I could clearly go on and on for days

5. 3.0

Personal Trainer

Jul 15, 2013 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free membership. You create your own schedule and very flexible.

Cons

Some of the downsides working for LA Fitness as a personal trainer are: no benefits, poor management, and low commission rates. Depending on management, there is no formal training once you are hired. There is no guideline in conducting assessments and creating training programs. You have to be willing to learn as you go. You only get paid when clients show up but can charge them for a no show. Unfortunately, this is where it gets controversial and in many cases results in disputes and arguments.

6. 1.0

personal trainer

Dec 6, 2013 - Personal Trainer
      Business Outlook

Pros

coworkers enjoyable to work with, free gym membership, enjoyed working with clients

Cons

This company has shady business practices. First, I was called a master trainer even though I was new to personal training. I did very well on my exam and passed on the first try, and I believe I knew the personal training material very well; however, I felt uncomfortable being listed as a master trainer without enough experience. I had clients who seemed to very much enjoy working with me, but the company charges too much to attract enough clients to make a decent living. It also appears that the personal training sales people do not divide up the new clients fairly, but probably keep them for themselves and train them, even though they may not have certifications. Also, the company appears to change how much they charge for both membership and training based on how much they think they can get from each customer. Basically, the company seems shady and needs to charge for personal training based on the financial abilities of the population that resides around each company location. The company's business policies are too rigid and lack integrity.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee

Former General Manager at LA Fitness (multiple locations)

Jul 9, 2014 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you are single, need a job to get you by and want to meet people. As a sales person, you will also learn great sales skills which you can take with you else where.

Cons

You are a number. Most of the locations are a revolving door. Only few people can make it long term and you will have no work life balance. As you move up the ladder you will work more and more hours (I used to work 70+ hours) and had no life outside of work. Also, the sales goals were very arbitrary. You are at the mercy of your Super Regional VP to set your club goals which was usually a guess on their part until they figured out the market.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Okay, nothing spectacular.

Jun 4, 2014 - Personal Trainer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Free gym membership - AWESOME clients - Make my own schedule - Good PTD at time of employment - Easy Job for the most part

Cons

- Pay is lack luster - Hiring process was very unorganized - No opportunity for growth - Segregation among departments causes everyone to be on a different page. No one knows whats going on due to lack of communication. - Okay place to work, there isn't much motivation to go to work or exceed expectations due to lack of incentives, bad pay, and less than ethical company morale.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Front Desk

Jun 14, 2014 - Front Desk
      Business Outlook

Pros

Get to meet new people everyday and as well as networking. You are given a chance to make good money from commission. There is a lot of free time at night which is great if you are a student. I get the chance to study for my classes while at work.

Cons

Stupid rules. Must answer the phone in a certain way. No guest passes after 8pm. Stupid things but doable.

10. 3.0
      Current Employee

I have not spent too much time here, but I have noticed a lot.

Jun 24, 2014 - Front Desk Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free membership, don't have to dress up, friendly environment, flexible scheduling

Cons

ZERO training, cold call customers, ONLY focused on making commissions and sales and updating peoples credit cards. The focus is not on good customer service, customers do not get greeted because of constant calling of people.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 79 Reviews