LA Fitness Employee Reviews about "gym"

Updated Sep 23, 2021

Found 213 of over 4,087 reviews

3.1
LA Fitness CEO Louis Welch (no image)
Louis Welch
1,263 Ratings

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Free membership & people are great not the company(in 157 reviews)
  • "The coworkers are great and the atmosphere of the gym is that of a smaller one.(in 84 reviews)
  • "Staff itself can be friendly and fun to work with(in 67 reviews)
  • "had a flexible schedule and most of my co workers were fun to be around.(in 64 reviews)
  • "It was a fun work environment most of the time and I enjoyed most of my coworkers.(in 62 reviews)
Cons
  • "Low pay even if you have a good amount of experience and they are not willing to give promotions to group ex(in 438 reviews)
  • "poor management can cause the environment to be better or worse(in 248 reviews)
  • "Long hours are expected but they do make sure u get paid for every second you are there!(in 182 reviews)
  • "workers (mostly the trainers) were mad creepy and tried to get me to pay for personal training.(in 115 reviews)
  • "Sometimes a manager is bad and even stupid.(in 113 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of LA Fitness and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "gym"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Cool

Oct 6, 2020 - F45 Instructor in Tucson, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cool cooll cool kinda boring

Cons

Just played out nothing new with la fitness nof a lot of serious trainers or gym goers

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not the best of jobs

Mar 3, 2021 - Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Isn’t a hard job physically, does not require high level of intelligence. Co workers are as friendly as you would expect. You get to work out at the gym for free of course. You interact with many people for the job and learn about them. Can be fun when potential new members talk about themselves.

Cons

Terrible work life balance. You work every day in the week but 1 day. They tell you that your have a 1 day off and the next day is a half day. A half day at LA FITNESS isn’t actually a half day. It’s you working 2 less hours or so. Generally the work shift is 8am-6pm. And if your night shift is 11 am-9pm. That’s pretty insane. The job is all about numbers. They want you to bring in roughly 4 people a day to join the gym. This can be different depending on the gym and the season. At one point we were supposed sight 7 people up a day to make numbers. That’s insane, you would run out of people to sign up in fairfax county after a month. The pay isn’t great earlier. Your being in 5-6 dollars a hour and 20 dollars per a person you sign up on a average. There is no employee break room or microwave. If you want to eat a warm meal you’ve got to go out and buy it. Cold leftovers suck. Spending money on eating out sucks.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great way to make extra cash and have a free gym membership. Napervilel RT 59 location

Feb 9, 2021 - Cycling Instructor in Naperville, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pros are that if you work in a new signature facility, you get to work out there too whenever you want. You can also bring a guest in at any time. You can structure your classes however you want. They might tell you at the beginning that there's a certain way to do it, but no one checks in on you, and they pretty much just give you an hour to teach how you want to teach. This is a big plus. I taught once a week for months before they moved it two because I just wanted the free gym membership :)

Cons

It's a big company and communication is very low. I once didn't even know my boss was fired and had to find out later through a co-worker. Half the time you don't know who you're supposed to be in contact with. If you teach at an old LA fitness, it's not the best facility. I would say this is midtier gym group coaching. As opposed to high tier such as equinox. Overall not a bad experience and a great way to get some extra cash and a free gym membership.

4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good place to start out

Feb 15, 2021 - Group Fitness Instructor in Rochester, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule of classes, different types of classes, keiser bikes were great, co-workers were nice, most of the members were great people.

Cons

Per class rate was terrible, the music you were supposed to use was on a limited number of CDs. There were never any staff meetings for aerobics, no communication between staff other than giant group texts to try to cover shifts. The turn over was crazy and no one took pride or care of equipment. The headset was broken a lot, and the stereos. Took forever to get anything replaced and fixed. Gym was dirty and kids Klub care was like lord of the flies at many occasions due to lack of staff. I was furloughed due to COVID-19 and didn’t go back as it simply wasn’t worth it to me and family. If they were filthy before the pandemic I cannot even imagine what it looks like now. Yuck! Corporate doesn’t allow the management enough payroll hours to really run the clubs well. I had to fight with corporate payroll in CA because they messed up my w-2 for 2020. They put my wages earned for a training session in OH, when I only went to Buffalo,NY. They tried to say I was lying. I asked them what would I have to gain by lying? Why would anyone go out of state for a CE class...It was so terrible it wasn’t even comical. I had to threaten to go to the BBB unless they sent me a w-2c.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee

Sales driven

Sep 23, 2021 - Assistant Personal Training Director APTD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work environment is for those with a sense of humor, money motivated, fitness enthusiast. gym membership team environment

Cons

Long hours...you must love to work or at least not mind being in a gym environment. tough quotas to make bonus you must learn to sell fast or youre not young to make it here

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

decent for a gym atmosphere

Aug 11, 2021 - Yoga Teacher in Hartford, CT
    Business Outlook

Pros

free membership, babysitting, good place to start, interested clients, sauna, responsibility for my own class was nice.

Cons

they were not kind when I told them I had to leave. The position was not working for me. They said I would have 2 classes and only had one. They put me at a gym that I had to drive further for, that I did not want to do with my infant in the car.

7. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

An Anomaly of a Bad Work Environment

Aug 28, 2021 - Front Desk Operations in Kirkland, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get a free gym membership. Some people grace you with conversations throughout the day.

Cons

You quantify your mental health for that free gym membership. Seriously, no one should have to go through the bull that this company throws at their disposable workers making less than minimum wage. You are effectively a call center, forced to make a certain number of EFT cleanups and PIF renewals or you get threatened by upper management with docked pay. You are the person that will deal with the angry members complainig about things that are out of your control and depending on if you have a good Operations manager, you may or may not be able to do anything to help with said complaints other than apologizing and getting screamed at. The sales team is ruthless, depending on the specific gym you work at, you may not be able to properly coordinate with the other departments if someone who's is waiting at the front needs help, leaving you to apologize for nothing being done. You can't really call out, since usually no one is willing to cover for you, so there is little to no flexibility with emergencies. You manager should cover but that can create a hostile work environment if you don't have a good relationship with them. There is little room for growth, you will be here until they fire or wear out the nearest operations manager, only then will you have the chance to fight with other FD workers to be promoted and shoved into a new position with little to no training. The work environment in general is pretty toxic, you can't complain to HR because they won't do anything, allowing upper management to take advantage of workers (usually sexually abusing female workers).

8. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Lacks respect for employees

May 6, 2021 - Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Free gym membership -casual work attire

Cons

Pay less than the minimum wage (they can get away with this by saying you can make commissions). This is technically true, but you are expected to make 100+ phone calls per shift to members that have had their credit card declined. They have their front desk staff call these numbers three times a day from all over the country. Working here I feel like a pawn for managers to make half (yes, half) of mine and all my coworkers commissions. No benefits (other than gym) Unsanitary Management is unorganized They offer promotions that flaunt one week free but they are all ploys to get people to sign up (have to sit with a sales counselor).

9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place to work

Jul 7, 2021 - Sales in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

What a great experience. It is a grind but worth it.

Cons

Long hours. You will be at the gym for most of the day.

10. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Complete joke of a company that is sexist and allows sexual harassment within the company

Jun 21, 2021 - Operations Manager in Port St Lucie, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Basic 9-6pm schedule Good if you have other things going in your life and use this as a side job

Cons

-It’s a male driven company. If you are a female you better be willing to sleep with one of the VPs to be taken seriously; otherwise your opinion will count for nothing -it’s a gym…so the pay is among the lowest you’re going to receive for management -HR is a joke. They do everything to protect their male VPs so if you’re being sexually harassed and you report it they will look the other way

1 person found this review helpful