LA Quinta Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Keith A. Cline

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You get a chance to meet a lot of new people from all over the country" (in 13 reviews)

• "They always make an effort to live by their core values" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "I was supposed to be a front desk rep" (in 22 reviews)

• "Hard to move up and low pay to start" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Front desk rep"

I have been working at LA Quinta part-time

Pros

Love meeting the guest and their pets

Cons

Nothing is bad about working here

2. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Irving, TX

I worked at LA Quinta full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Open Door
    Great Compensation
    People are great

Cons

A few employees, as there are everywhere, can cause strife. Ignore them!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "Nice friendly motel"

Current Employee - Housekeeper in Boone, NC
    Current Employee - Housekeeper in Boone, NC

I have been working at LA Quinta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are good to work for. I like the job and it's a nice hotel.

Cons

The beds are heavy, rushing us to get the rooms done when we give it our best and work the whole time.

Advice to Management

On the beds they would look alot better with the top spread draping down around the bed instead of all tucked in.

4. "Could be so much more."

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member
    Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member

I have been working at LA Quinta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount on hotel stays.
    It’s a fun job.
    You get meet different ppl from all walks of life.

Cons

Favoritism with coworkers from managers.
    Low pay.
    Horrible benefits.
    No sick days. You must use your PTO.
    No lunch. You work 8 hours straight without a break.
    No Team Work.

Advice to Management

This company has the ability to be so much more. But, with low pay, no team work & not even a break, it’s just not worth it. Pay employees what they are worth & give them a lunch break. Not being able to eat all day, is BS.

"Not a bad place to work, just not forever."

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in South Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in South Burlington, VT

I have been working at LA Quinta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close knit, simple, good hours, ability to earn gift cards through rewards program, employee rate, pet friendly, occasional tips from guests

Cons

Challenging guests, multiple tasks, underpaid, dress code, very corporate, higher ups don’t care about base workers, coworkers earning more money for the same job

Advice to Management

Make sure employees are happy and that they feel treated fairly

6. "Inside look at Pittsburg, KS La Quinta..."

Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Pittsburg, KS
    Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Pittsburg, KS

I worked at LA Quinta part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked front desk at this La Quinta, and the pros are that its not a difficult job and you get to interact woth the customers. There is very little to do during the evening shift (3 to 11) besides check customers in, assist with laundry, and set up for breakfast, so there is a lot of free time. Most of the time, the manager (more on her in a bit) has told me to do a little of the work and then leave it for the night person to do so they have something to do.

Cons

The management is a couple who live at the hotel half of the week. Manisha is the manager's name, and while she probably tries very hard, her moral compass is badly skewed. Do not work here if you want to be treated fairly or if you would be uncomfortably and/or say no to being asked to do something against the law because it would be for the greater good (the hotel). She has asked (told, really) multiple staff, myself included, to delete or alter email addresses of the guests at the hotel so they will be unable to leave bad reviews. She has directed staff to do this after guests have had any issues with the hotel or even if guests were satisfied in spite of things going wrong (the hot water went out for about an hour one day, so I was told to alter the email addresses on file so none of the guests could report this, since all guests are emailed a survey link after their stays.

I am a former employee, rather than a current employee, because I had the audacity to ask for a day off - my first ever, I kid you not - when I got such a bad cold I was literally dripping through tissues and sneezing over the house. Manisha told me I would still have to come in, and I replied that I would but that she's putting our guests at risk of getting sick if she has me come in anyway (since, you know, my job is 100% interacting with customers, their laundry, or their breakfast dishes). She immediately fired me for saying this. She fired the person whose job I took despite him being one of only two employees who were repeatedly lauded on customer reviews (the other was promoted to assistant manager over him for reasons unknown to pretty much everybody lol) for "being lazy". That is the last thing that she texted me, after firing me: I was lazy and she didn't need that in her hotel. I'll freely admit I'm not the hardest worker, but it's a little hypocritical and unfair to tell an employee, pretty much every shift, to do less so the night clerk has something to keep themselves busy with, and then fire that employee and claim they didn't do much. In truth, she's just bad people and I recommend you avoid this. Had I not gotten a second job (for which - you guessed it - she almost fired for getting!) I probably would have had to load up on cold medication and just hope I didn't get anybody sick. It felt good, though, to call her on her insane business practices. I'm waiting on a call back from Corporate Management, so they can have my official testimony in the event they choose to take action against Manisha. They should, and I hope they do, but if they do not, I could not more strongly recommend to you not to work here. The company's BBB rating is suspended, so I doubt corporate has the necessary moral backbone or organization to take appropriate action, but I guess we will see. :-)

Advice to Management

Don't keep firing your best people (best per your online reviews and best because it's obvious to us who the hard workers are and who show up just to collect a paycheck) and don't keep engaging in shady and illegal business practices, because you will eventually be caught if you do.

"A great place to work"

Former Employee - Interior Design Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Interior Design Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at LA Quinta full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong core values, Company culture makes coming to work the best part of your day, nice working environment, nice people

Cons

Just acquired by Wyndham, many jobs eliminated due to duplication. It’s hard to know what the new company culture will become

8. "Terrible Upper Management"

I worked at LA Quinta full-time

Pros

My colleagues at my property were great.

Cons

Regional Vice Presidents and above are terrible people and have no idea how to effectively lead a team. When I started with the company, most of the upper level management was great. From the CEO to the Executive Vice President...they were all great and cared about the employees. Every time they were at a hotel, they would say hi to every employee and take the time to get to know you wether you were a front desk rep, maintenance person, or a room attendant. Those days are over. This new leadership that came in a couple of years ago is so cold and truly vile. They make it impossible to enjoy your job and do it effectively. I would never work for them again. They are 100% the worst people I have ever worked for. Go figure they are all friends and come from the same company. Hopefully the acquisition by Wyndham will push some of these vermin out of the door. LQ is losing a lot of great talent at property level right now because of these fools. Funny that two of their core values are People and Integrity...
    Also, benefits are terrible.

Advice to Management

Executive Leaders: Take some leadership classes. Learn how to LEAD a TEAM. Care about every single employee at the properties you oversee. I will give you a free tip: happy employees make happy guests.

"General Manager"

I worked at LA Quinta full-time

Pros

Was a great company prior to purchase by Blackstone.

Cons

Too much emphasis placed on irrelevant issues instead of practical business operations.

10. "Decent job"

I have been working at LA Quinta full-time

Pros

Coworkers, talking to guests, different people and things every day

Cons

Sometimes rude guest, can be slow, working alone at times