LA's BEST Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I love this job"

Current Employee - Program Worker in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Program Worker in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at LA's BEST part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You know your hours and it's a great 1st job especially if you are a college student

Cons

It's working with a group of kids so it's not easy

2. "Too much work; Too little pay."

Former Employee - Program Worker in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Program Worker in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LA's BEST part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of my co-workers were fun to hang out with. The environment can be jolly. You can teach kids cool and interesting things you care about (with approval from supervisor)

Cons

A Program Worker here is basically a secondary after school supervisor/teacher/babysitter to these kids. We were really un-credentialed teachers, which means our responsibilities, many times, were well beyond our reach. For example, a lot of my co-workers have not graduated college yet, and they expect us to already know child development skills, child psychology, and the like. There was very little to no training on this one. Secondly, upper management sucks. They will take the word of a kid over you and this means you can easily be fired for a stupid reason. Yes, it is correct that they are your responsibility, but kids are kids and they don't interpret the world correctly many times. It is just unfair. Upper management seems too disconnected with our troubles. They say we are the most important part of the LA's BEST mission, but that's just BS; we are as replaceable as a screw in a chair. Don't sugar-coat this.
    In addition to all of this, we are given no time to prepare our activities before our job. We can come early, but we aren't paid for that. Shouldn't something so important to our job be compensated? Also sometimes sites and mandatory trainings are far away forcing you to drive, and not everyone has access to a car. Uniforms are expensive. Also so much nepotism here. Like, the only way to get a job in the summer is to know someone who knows someone else.
    It's also a high stress environment.

Advice to Management

Increase your pay, have more requirements for your job descriptions; this isn't a fast-food place.

3. "Program Supervisor"

Former Employee - Program Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Program Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LA's BEST part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is great for college students to gain experience and continue to pursue their studies. The opportunities for growth to move up can occur if interested and willingness to put in the work.

Cons

There seems to be a level of nepotism here. Traveling staff are more inclined to promote staff they know and individuals with in their cluster region. Working at school means a lot of downtime during summer and winter breaks. Another job might be needed to get you through the financial dry spells.

Advice to Management

Consider taking a chance on employees and who are outside your cluster region. Keep salacious gossip at a minimum to a null.

4. "program worker"

I have been working at LA's BEST part-time

Pros

good pay
    great hours
    supportive staff
    you get to work with kids
    days go by fast

Cons

4 hour days can be jam packed and overwhelming

5. "Fun Job!"

I have been working at LA's BEST part-time

Pros

I have been working for La's Best for 4 years now & I can honestly say I love my job. If you enjoy working with kids being a coach will be super fun!

Cons

It's only part time 4/5 hours a day, If there is no school there is no work so there are a lot of days off with no pay,

6. "LA's BEST"

Pros

You get to work with a community that gives back to the kids

Cons

It could be a lot of work since you have to support alot of elementary schools in LAUSD and you may have to travel a lot.

7. "Site Coordinator"

I have been working at LA's BEST part-time

Pros

Great position to gain leadership experience. Multi Tasking and working fast pace is a must. Must be able to communicate with all school admin and parents. GOOD PAY.

Cons

Part time. Not enough time to get work done. go in 1-2 hours early on my own time to finish all the mandated work.

8. "After School Enrichment"

Former Employee - California in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - California in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Working with Kids, New experience every day, lots of fun

Cons

part time mid day monday through friday
    school ay not be close to you

"Pw"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Pedro, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Pedro, CA

Pros

I loved my kids and my sc at the time! I had my own class unlike many of the pws

Cons

I hated my tps! When I was pregnant they were awful!!! I had a difficult pregnancy and explained it to them as it was happening! They could care less! As well as hr! Who also gave me a run around when I went for my fmla! Aside from that my new sc "lost" my training check! Claimed she mailed it! Although she was never supposed to do that! Then after two weeks of the run around she told me to call payroll to get it if I wanted it!! Just say no!!!!!

Advice to Management

Learn the laws!!!!! And learn to treat your employees better! And remember this is not a full time job nor does it have benefits so don't except us to do above and beyond while treating us like crap!

10. "Good Experience Overall"

Pros

The other staff i got to work with were friendly and always willing to help you out. Good experience and the program offered training in different areas for the staff to be better prepared to interact with their students

Cons

Can be a bit disorganized, and you start out as a substitute without knowledge of when you would become a full staff