LAC Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Robert Corrao
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A good federal contractor for library work"

Former Employee - Reference and Interlibrary Loan Librarian in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Reference and Interlibrary Loan Librarian in Washington, DC

I worked at LAC Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

LAC Group holds many contracts in federal libraries in the Washington, DC area. If you live in this area and are interested in working in federal libraries, this is a good place to start, especially if you have recently graduated from library school. Once you have worked for LAC for awhile and have proven you are a reliable employee, they will help you in finding positions within the company to advance your career. They also invest in their employees by paying for professional memberships and professional development employees.

Cons

Contracting work can be unpredictable, and sometimes a job can get cut short because the federal agency has decided to rebid the contract. Longer-term contracts tend to have more stability, but there is no guarantee. The upside is that even if you get laid off due to the end of a contract, LAC will actively try to place you in another position within the company. Other contractors could care less when employees get laid off.

Aug 15, 2018 – Administrator

We appreciate your review, which gives anyone reading it a helpful view of contracting because of its balanced, authentic perspective. Contracting does have pros and cons, and our goal is to diminish... More

"Stress-free but not challenging"

Current Employee - Scan/Sort Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Scan/Sort Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at LAC Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After leaving a very stressful job and long commute, this was a welcome respite. The materials we work with can’t leave the building which means that work will never follow me home.

Cons

The pay is under market and after speaking with colleagues, their pay is similarly low for the amount of experience. Annual reviews and raises, including a basic cost of living increase, are slim at best. Married coworkers rely on having their spouse’s income to support themselves.

My biggest problem though is that I feel that if I left one day and never came back, the work wouldn’t suffer for it. My daily activities and skills are nonessential to the role that anyone else with the position could replace me. Roles are firmly set and no cross-training, skill development, or advanced learning is encouraged until you have completed at least one full year of employment. Rather than growing and staying an asset to the company, we are stagnating.

3. "Good pay, good benefits"

I worked at LAC Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the best benefits I've ever received.

Cons

Since I believe most of their work is under contract, day-to-day management of work is done under the guise of the government agency or the organization that the contract is with.

Oct 22, 2018 – Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We're happy you were pleased with the benefits, as we strive to offer a range of diverse options that appeal to all our employees across the US and the... More

4. "AR Billing Accountant, Accounting Software Trainer SME"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at LAC Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Convenient location and flexible work environment

Cons

small office environment, but some may like this.

Oct 3, 2018 – Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Flexibility is a preference by most people, and regarding the "small office environment" it's true that some people may prefer that as well. Employees... More

5. "archive assistant"

I have been working at LAC Group full-time

Pros

Job can be interesting

Cons

no set schedules, management doesn't care

Sep 20, 2018 – Administrator

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review and happy you feel that your job can be interesting. However, we are concerned about your statement that “management doesn't care,” which we are... More

6. "Be aware of ALL the details."

I have been working at LAC Group full-time

Pros

Contract positions with some well known public and private sector organizations.

Cons

If you need to relocate, it will be at your own expense. Some contracts have a low hourly rate, in places where it's expensive to live, and that's all there is. No performance increases, cost of living, nothing. There is also very little feedback, of any kind, in either direction. By any objective measure, for professional job positions, these willful practices are disrespectful and unethical.

Advice to Management

Be upfront and honest about ALL the details and why. Take care of your people. Self-respecting professionals need genuine, good-faith feedback with information they need to do their jobs and to know what's going on. What is your REAL priority? Is it just the bottom line, or is it retaining professionals with knowledge, skills, and experience?

Feb 14, 2018 – Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We appreciate the positive feedback on the caliber of private- and public-sector clients we are proud to support.

However, it appears we may... More

7. "Excellent company, truly invested in employee success"

Current Employee - Library Paraprofessional in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Library Paraprofessional in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at LAC Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, approachable management team, recognizes value and talent of employees, they hire within for better opportunities that arise within the company

Cons

Contracting positions can change easily based on funding, team performance, etc. so you always need to keep your next steps in mind. This isn't a con of LAC per se, but more of a con of the contracting field in general. However, despite what challenges or changes may occur with your contract, LAC will still have your best interests and assist you in finding other opportunities within the company.

Advice to Management

More team bonding activities and networking opportunities with other projects would be appreciated. Ideas could include LAC Group all staff volunteer days, in person leadership trainings, regular employee appreciation events (I think there is a yearly one, but I just started in January and haven't experienced it yet)

Aug 22, 2017 – Marketing Content Strategy Manager

We were happy and honored to read your review, and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and advice to management. As a company with a highly distributed workforce, it can be a... More

8. "Good for gaining experience, but not always a good experience."

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at LAC Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities in the contracting field can prove beneficial. Good experience can be gained.

Cons

Corporate atmosphere not as positive. Cannot say this is an employee first company.

Advice to Management

How are your employees your best resources if you don't get to know them?

Aug 22, 2017 – Marketing Content Strategy Manager

We acknowledge that getting to know our employees better is a challenge, given the nature of our business and our highly distributed workforce. Our corporate infrastructure is quite lean for a... More

9. "Material handler"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

LAC-GROUP was a good company to work for and, I have learned a lot in the different positions that I was placed in and the diversity of people that I got to work with was a pleasure to have gotten to know.

Cons

The company at that time have replaced managers 4 times, with in 2 and a half years, that did not have a positive look on the company for that particular project that I was placed on.

Advice to Management

Take the time to find a qualified person to handle the role of a manager.

Dec 9, 2016 – Marketing Content Strategy Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We do understand that manager and supervisor turnover creates challenges, especially for staff who are directly affected. Life changes can have ripple... More

10. "Interesting and Forward-Thinking Company"

I have been working at LAC Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very forward-thinking company that has an in-depth understanding of the library and information management business. Diversification of business lines makes this an interesting and exciting company to work for. I learn something new all of the time!

Cons

Would like to have more opportunities to be creative.

Advice to Management

Promote from within

Jan 3, 2017 – Marketing Content Strategy Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and for the positive recommendation. While we have hired new people into management roles, it is an important goal for us to promote from within. Your... More