KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

LAC Group

Is this your company?

LAC Group

Add a Review

LAC Group Employee Reviews about "professional development"

Updated Feb 21, 2020

3.8
LAC Group CEO Robert Corrao
Robert Corrao
Pros
  • "Numerous professional development opportunities to be had if you're willing to invest the time and effort(in 6 reviews)

• "Company provides great benefits package and invests in their employees(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Very low pay, no benefits for part time(in 2 reviews)

• "no longer(in 2 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "professional development"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good Company

Feb 21, 2020 - Manager in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management listens and pushes you to be better a employee; they support and encourage professional development and even provide money each year for classes or conferences or training.

Cons

I really wish upper management would offer more PTO each year

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Supportive company to work for

Mar 27, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of really nice people work here. They offer a professional development stipend that pays for me to attend conferences and management seems genuinely interested in and supportive of my professional development

Cons

Less stable then federal government work

Administrator

Thank you for your review. It's nice to work with nice people, and professional development matters to everyone, employer and employee alike. We're glad you're being proactive and taking advantage of available opportunities. For librarians and other information professionals who desire to work in the public sector, LAC Group offers an alternative, though like every line of work, contracting comes with its own pros and cons that must be weighed by each person. Thank you again for your review and your contributions to LAC Group.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Not your average contractor

Aug 18, 2016 - Librarian in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked with LAC for the entirety of my professional career, and their contracts in DC have allowed me to achieve my goal of becoming a special librarian. I frequently recommend for new librarians to scope out contracting with LAC because the company has helped me to break into the federal realm, which can be difficult to enter otherwise. Rather than many other contractors who seem solely focused on revenue, I believe that LAC is legitimately interested in contributing to the information field. The company has provided me with several opportunities to grow and develop, including an annual professional development allowance and other job offers within the company. I also feel as though LAC values me, my work, and that they want to keep me on board. Compensation is fair and I've never felt as though the company has ever tried to "low ball" me. Health insurance and 401K options are very good for a contractor company. I feel confident that the company is in good health and that it is continuing to grow. The CEO and HR director are very accessible, and LAC staff are typically very responsive.

Cons

The major con for me is the leave time system: we are offered "paid time off" without a separate bank of sick time. This was problematic when I suffered a serious illness. As with contracting in general, opportunities (such as promotions and performance-based raises) are based on what's written in the contract. There are some things which the company would like to do, but can't given the confines of contract.

Marketing Content Strategy Manager

Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights. Regarding the paid time off issue, we offer a PTO model that can be used for vacation, illness or any personal time-off needs. If we offered separate pools of time, the total would be the same, and most people do prefer the flexibility. In the event of a situation that needs additional time, we will offer any solution we can. All we ask is as much advance notice as possible to explore options.

4. 5.0
      Former Contractor, more than 5 years

Great Experience

Oct 18, 2014 - Reference Librarian in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

For someone looking to expand their skill sets and learn and use new technologies, a great place to be. The years at LAC built me up to be the Librarian and hold the professional position I do today. I owe them a lot. I worked three assignments during my time with LAC, always learning and developing along the way. Supportive manager and great HR support. Numerous professional development opportunities to be had if you're willing to invest the time and effort.

Cons

None come to mind right now.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Marketing Manager

While it has taken us a while to acknowledge this, we thank you for taking the time to post a review of your work experience for LAC Group. We are especially grateful for your positive, thoughtful comments. Every employer likes to hear when they are doing well and what they are doing right! Thank you also for your constructive advice – we have begun working with our managers and supervisors to encourage more frequent feedback and we have implemented a new ‘employee of the month’ program that allows any employee to nominate another with the reasons why, and it’s becoming an appreciated source of recognition and feedback.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Respectable organization providing competitive salary and benefits package.

Mar 14, 2014 - Document Analyst in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits package, and professional development assistance. The resources were sufficient to attend 1 professional conference per year.

Cons

Limited job performance feedback and a somewhat indifferent attitude toward any career development or advancement. There were also no sick days or personal days, just one type of leave to use for everything. No relocation assistance.

Be the first to find this review helpful