LASIK MD Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Dr. Mark Cohen & Dr. Avi Wallerstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work hours which help balancing personal commitments with work schedule (in 6 reviews)

• Friendly work environment, good location in downtown Montreal, bonus incentive (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Fast paced environment which forces employees to adapt quickly (in 3 reviews)

• For those reasons, I sometimes feel that it is difficult to adjust myself to the rigidity of administrative rules (in 2 reviews)

1. "Get ready to work"

I worked at LASIK MD full-time

Pros

It is always very busy so time flies by.

Cons

No time to have lunch. You have to swallow your food and run to the next patient.

Mar 7, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Thanks for taking the time to post a review on Glassdoor! We love to get feedback from our staff on areas we can improve.
    It is true that whether you are working at one of our clinics, or at our... More

2. "staff"

Pros

Lasik MD offers an amazing service and we strive to give the patients the best experience possible. I enjoy working with the many people that are committed to providing excellent care. . We have many excellent and dedicated surgeons. Staff are encouraged to cross train in different positions so our days are always varied. Lasik MD promotes from within and recognizes hard work and dedication. Lasik MD also promotes a great work environment through regular R&R activities, it promotes health and exercise, and we also work hard to directly reduce our carbon footprint.

Cons

Lasik MD is a very fast paced. Changes are guaranteed and you need to be able to adapt quickly. Some people thrive in this type of situation and some find it difficult to adjust.

Advice to Management

Lasik MD has grown very quickly and is one of Canada's Best Managed Companies, I think that they should consider investing more in the employees by implementing a pension plan.

3. "Growing Company"

I have been working at LASIK MD full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Flexibility With Hours
    Multiple Career Opportunities
    Unlimited Access to Management
    Many Learning Resources
    Good Health Care Benefits
    Longevity in Market Due to Innovation and strategic Future Planning
    Modern Technology Available In the Workplace

Cons

Lack of RRSP Contributions / Pension Plans / Profit Shares
    Annual Performance Increase Program Lacks Structure
    Employee Perks Are Outdated
    Company As a Whole Does Not Have the Employee Resources to manage new Ventures

Advice to Management

Focus on revamping competitive compensation packages
    Look to offer more rewarding annual performance increases
    Update Perks to be more relatable to the general workforce population

Dec 2, 2016 – Director of HR

Dear employee,
    Thank you kindly for your feedback! In regards to the annual performance increase program, I would be curious to know what specifically lacks structure in your view, to ensure that we... More

4. "Good company but needed better pay."

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at LASIK MD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and decent pay

Cons

Long hours and very long days

Advice to Management

Be prepared to work long hours

"Clinical Assistant"

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at LASIK MD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits/Dental/Gym/Vacation-Time-Off. Job Security, stability, great entry-level position.

Cons

No growth opportunities. Lack of encouragement for moving up within the company. New hires are often over qualified for the position (lot's of Bachelor degree holders, whereas management lack any professional certification thus sometimes under qualified for maintaining professional etiquettes at times and/or upholding corporate spirit/culture. Playing favouritism between those who've been with the company longer than new hires, often discouraging new hires to quit as a result due to lack of motivation, encouragement, positive constructive feedback, thus increasing employee turn-over. Small teams, so dynamic depends from clinic to clinic. However, most long standing clinics can harbour a toxic unwelcoming vibe to those just starting their careers at the company.

Jan 5, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We strive for a work environment where people feel valued and empowered to succeed and grow - whether it is through a promotion or within their... More

6. "Human resources"

Pros

Many benefits for being a member of the team, good team bonding activities

Cons

May not really pay much but they balance it with the emplyee's programs

"Not a bad place"

I worked at LASIK MD full-time

Pros

Lots of hours, Great learning experience in the field

Cons

unhappy employees, very hard to get time off, management needs to listen to employees more

Dec 27, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We strongly believe that employee experience is crucial to our success. Each year, we conduct an employee satisfaction survey to take... More

8. "Great work-life balance and a cool team!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at LASIK MD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at LASIK MD for almost three years in the Marketing department. The team is young and motivated, and the work environment is very pleasant (especially the new 5th floor offices). I learned a lot and the challenge was very rewarding. I also made great friends!

The work-life balance is very appreciated by the head office team, and flexible hours are also a major perk. More so, they offer summer hours. If you make up the time during the week, you can leave earlier on Fridays during summer.

If you're a candidate for LASIK, you can get it for free or for a minimal fee (certain conditions need to be respected).

Insurance plan offered (dental/medical) - costs are split between the employer and the employee.

Gym membership reimbursement and OPUS card giveaways.

The upper management team is very approachable and encourages the team to pitch creative suggestions. LASIK MD acts as a client and an agency, meaning ideas are pitches and there is a creative studio team that creates them. It's a great way to work and keep the resources internally.

Cons

With regards to my personal experience, my main challenge was that there was no opportunity to grow within my role. I think it was a question of timing, maybe. I would have likely not accepted another offer if my role had evolved.

The rules for telecommuting should be officialized since some people benefited from it, and other didn't. I think it would help to make that clear. It's a great perk to have and it should be universally offered to people who would like it (and deserve it based on merit and role).

No vision coverage for people who are not a candidate for LASIK or do not wish to have it. (Vision coverage is however offered to family members only if you're on the family plan)

There is an RRSP plan, but it's only suggested. The employer does not match contributions.

The way annual salary increases are allocated should be reevaluated (at least to match the inflation rate, if possible).

Advice to Management

Continue to trust and challenge your team! The Marketing team is comprised of some great people. Don't take them for granted by not offering them compensation or room for advancement.

Keep up the great work, and continue to create campaigns that make laser vision corrections stand out.

Consider introducting a company-wide RSSP matching option or pension plan.

"Good, depending on location"

I worked at LASIK MD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good staff, great teamwork, central location, decent health benefits

Cons

Poor upper management, unethical steps carried out, low salary, not enough support/emotional intelligence, zero room for growth. If you're a suck up then there is a slim chance of growth. But that means leaving your morals at the door & doing everything as upper management wants

Advice to Management

Nothing. In order for the company to be great, overhaul would need to be done on upper management

"OK if you are a student"

Former Employee - Patient Care Representative in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Patient Care Representative in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at LASIK MD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly work environment, good location in downtown Montreal, bonus incentive

Cons

Although largely advertised, there is no room for growth. Managers tend to favor some employees over others

Advice to Management

Take into consideration that good employees will leave if there is no more room for growth. Make it possible for them to move up in a job in their field.