LBB Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
LBB Director Ursula M. Parks
Ursula M. Parks

1. "Jedi Knights of State Government"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at LBB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If Texas was a country it would have an economy the size of Australia. The Legislative Budget Board is the agency that manages the two-year budget for the state--and staff at the agency are intimately involved with virtually every policy decision with a budgetary impact. Given the small staff this means that even fairly junior LBB analysts are assigned to important, major issues.and interact with very senior people in other agencies. Management is very flat, however the agency has an excellent promotion system that keeps talent at the analyst level without needing to go into management.

Cons

Potential employees need to understand two things. First, your ability to be successful will hinge on understanding that the LBB ASSISTS those who were elected to carry out their goals. The agency is not a conduit to pursue your independent policy goals. Second, the agency is extremely mission-focused on getting the budget done right--that's a good thing but it also means that jobs not directly in the budget cycle will often become second-fiddle to the immediate workflow needs of the agency. This also has a profound impact on careers at the LBB--most of the management structure is composed of people who went up through the budget analyst career track.

Also note that you WILL have to work hard and long immediately before and during Legislative sessions. Be sure you are ready for this--while I am listing this as a "con" the truth is that people successful at the agency enjoy the rush.

Advice to Management

Don't think it has escaped anyone's notice that the last two years involved refocusing us on the core mission of the agency and imposing significantly greater accountability and expectations on senior level analysts. Good work.

2. "Budget Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at LBB full-time

Pros

educated staff, various backgrounds, great institutional reputation

Cons

uneven work pace, very high work requirements during the Legislative session, pay starts very low considering the qualifications of individuals LBB hires.

Advice to Management

Increase beginning salary to keep individuals past their first Legislative Session

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at LBB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Much nicer office building and more collegial atmosphere than most state government.

Cons

Women make less than men in the same positions.

"There is definitely an in crowd, and if you're not in it, you're SOL."

Former Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX

Pros

You can take plenty of time off and come and go as you please as long as it's not during session.

Cons

Management promotes people that they like, not people that will make good managers.

Advice to Management

Management should do more to foster their employees. The numbers are important, but if you're not good managers of people, employee dissent will cause an even larger problem.

6. "Good people, location, benefits; very stressful at times, and nontechnical managers over techies"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Management is very good with what they have control over. The location is great, and most employees (except IT) have private offices, many with views of the Capitol or of the UT tower. They have a wellness program, with an exercise room, yoga classes, and a massage therapist who comes in. Most of the employees are professionals who got advanced degrees to be able to make budget and policy recommendations to the legislature. The Capitol grounds is a beautiful park to walk in at lunch. Museums and restaurants in walking distance.

Cons

It is a very stressful place to work. If you're young and resilient, you can probably do it fine, but three 50+ people died in a two-year period. They may have died anyway, but work-related stress had a lot to do with it, in my opinion. Upper management is frankly out of touch with the rank-and-file. You can get a promotion by kissing up and not have the support of your peers who'll now be reporting to you. You also have nontechnical people managing technical people and making decisions that affect them without really understanding the consequences, not a good situation, in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Bend over backwards to treat your good technical people well. They aren't there because they're policy or budget experts. The benefits and pension are attractive. They can easily leave and get jobs elsewhere. And if they do, it will simply take a long time to fill their shoes.

"If you leave, you will come back"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Great people. Supportive work environment. Job security. Interesting work. Work/life balance. Investment in the people and opportunity for growth within and among state agencies. Great retirement plan.

Cons

This is a government agency so we do not receive the perks of the private sector -- no stock options or company-paid ski trips. Our offices are basic.

Advice to Management

We need more analysts during the session, and they need to come up to speed beforehand. We always seem to be shorthanded during the session -- can we add two more people than we think we will need so that our top analysts can be offloaded somewhat? When an analyst is overloaded and underslept, they may make mistakes and we cannot afford mistakes.

8. "Analist"

Pros

It is a prestigious government agency

Cons

Not an easy job during Legislative Session

Advice to Management

Keep the good work