LEWIS Global Communications Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
LEWIS Global Communications CEO and Founder Chris Lewis
Chris Lewis

Pros
  • Managers generally push people out end of day to encourage work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Good handle on social media and creative (in 8 reviews)

"Growing, rapid-fire environment"

Current Employee - Copywriter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Copywriter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LEWIS Global Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

LEWIS offers plenty of opportunity for career growth. It's culture encourages building old and new career skills and constantly tests your abilities.

Cons

Sometimes different projects can pull you in different directions. In crunch time, which occurs often, you can get conflicting asks with little guidance - so you'll need to be able to research, organize and generally operate on your own as soon as you join.

"Complete SF Makeover"

I have been working at LEWIS Global Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wow, what a year it has been in 2016. I have been with the agency for a little over a year and there has been so much change in San Francisco. Good change, well great change I should say.

When I first started in 2015, I noticed a real disconnect in the way certain managers lead teams. It was inconsistent and there were VPs that never took initiative or volunteered to support me and my team. Because of this, I ended up working more hours only to be rejected because the idea didn’t come from them. Talking loud, collaborating openly with my team or having fun in my area was forbidden and looked down upon. I often questioned why I accepted the position in the first place.

Needless to say, those leaders are no longer with the company and for good reason.

We have a new management team - managers, directors and vice presidents, all of which are smart, creative and strategic. More importantly, they are open to my ideas, support me and my team, encourage and support us and also roll up their sleeves and work, when needed. It’s a breath of fresh air and this truly feels like a team.

Everyone seems to be excited to come in to work everyday. There is an energy that is present. Our clients are happy. We are growing organically. We are hiring. We are winning new clients. The work environment has truly turned around. Sounds corny but it is inspirational and that means a lot to me and my career goals.

Cons

Agency life is agency life. Work life balance is at a minimum. Some clients are rude and obnoxious It goes with the territory.

Advice to Management

There has been a lot of change this last year. As we move in to 2017 I would suggest to keep up the momentum, support the team and continue to go with the vision that was set forth.

"Great people"

Current Employee - Account Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Director in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I've never worked with a group of people that I like and respect more.
    People are motivated and work hard and generally like each other, which is rare in my experience.

Cons

Work life balance is always a struggle in PR agencies. The organization is putting in a lot of effort into fixing this -- but its a continual process.

Advice to Management

Happy employees do go work. Good work makes happy clients. Happy clients make a profitable organization.

"I am truly inspired to work at LEWIS"

I have been working at LEWIS Global Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I just read some of the negative reviews and I can understand why some employees (current and former) feel the way they do. There was a time when I felt the same exact way. I was one signature away from accepting an offer from another agency last year.

That has changed and I am glad that I hung in there.

For a long time I was unhappy but too afraid to look for a new job. I wasn't confident in myself or my skills. There were times when I would have some pretty good ideas that my clients liked but the senior leaders shot them down because it wasn’t their idea. There were promises made that were never delivered on. I saw many employees get promoted that shouldn't have. Favoritism was common among the VP ranks. They very rarely acknowledged me or members of my team. They stayed in their offices for most of the day or worked from home.

In my opinion, the core problem was having a husband and wife in charge of the office. I think they had good intentions but it was just a weird scenario that everyone thought about and struggled with but never said anything publicly. I always thought it was a conflict of interest but what do I know? There were always “secret” meetings happening and I never knew what was going on. I was afraid to express my feelings because of the politics so I kept my mouth shut. I pretended that I was happy but always looking for other opportunities.

That has changed. Maybe I drank the kool-aid, I don’t know. But I have seen some really good changes in the office over the last 6 months. I can be myself. There is positive energy in the office. My ideas are being heard and implemented. I am empowered to own my client relationships. I truly feel inspired to come into work everyday. It sounds corny, I know. But it’s the truth.

I can honestly say that I love my job. I wouldn’t waste my time writing this if I didn’t.

Cons

Six months ago, I would have a laundry list of complaints. And while every job has its challenges, I have nothing but positive things to say about the current work situation. Well, some clients are really difficult but that’s about it. I guess that’s the nature of PR.

Advice to Management

Please continue to treat all team members as equals regardless of their level. It’s good to see senior team members do work. I learn that way. Keep it up. And I am really impressed with the new leaders being brought in and love the fact that they sit with us in cubicles.

"Optimistic and evolving"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LEWIS Global Communications (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative environment - coworkers are non-competitive, supportive, and always willing to help each other.

Work-life balance is reinforced frequently - the hours are very reasonable, flexible WFH policy, and support for colleagues with family.

Those who excel at specific activities are recognized and rewarded (in terms of spot rewards and deserved promotions). If you put in the work and passion, there's no limit to growth opportunities.

Cons

Every company has ups and downs, and while LEWIS is going through a period of transition with staffing and approach to accounts, I feel like the outlook is overwhelmingly positive and the changes needed to be made in order to grow.

Advice to Management

Keep rewarding those who work hard and providing feedback to those employees who aren't contributing at the highest level, and the rest will fall into place.

"Out with the old, in with the new!"

I have been working at LEWIS Global Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office vibe in SF has changed and I love it. Finally we have some leaders that care for employees and actually communicate with us. Everyone is treated equal and that means a lot to me. We are definitely headed in the right direction.

Cons

Long hours but that's expected in any agency environment. Some clients aren't so nice either but that's also expected. Most clients are technology & B2B so it would be nice to branch out into other markets.

Advice to Management

Keep up the change. There's a vibe and energy in the office that hasn't been around in a long time. I am excited and inspired, so please continue to do what you are doing. We see it.

"New Leadership = More Collaboration, Integration & Stronger Culture"

I have been working at LEWIS Global Communications full-time

Pros

The new leadership in SF is dedicated to improving the work environment for all employees. It’s evident and over the last 6 months there has been tremendous (POSITIVE) change at the senior level. There is a resurgence of passion, motivation, openness, transparency and people like myself are inspired to come into work everyday. There is still work to do but we are definitely headed in the right direction.

Cross office collaboration, which did not exist before, is now allowing us to work with new colleagues, learn new skills and we can now match the right skill sets with clients needs, without any distractions or unnecessary drama.

Cons

No agency is perfect and yes, there is employee turnover. It’s common. But the previous leadership did not hold team leads accountable for their work (or lack thereof). There was no accountability for losing a client. No accountability for employee turnover. No accountability for winning new business. No accountability at all. Shared decision-making and indecisiveness was common which lead to no action and failed promises.

Additionally, several of the previous leaders did not feel like they had to “do work” because they reached a certain level in the company. That is changing. I can see it every day and it makes me happy that we are all now collaborating to do amazing work for clients - as ONE TEAM.

Advice to Management

Continue to build a strong, collaborative culture where “all employees” voices are heard. Focus on rewarding creativity, entrepreneurship and flawless execution for clients.

"Account servicing"

Former Employee - Account Servicer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Servicer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LEWIS Global Communications full-time

Pros

The opportunity to grow and the benefits are really competitive. The CEO is also inspirational and cares about the staff.

Cons

The company has seen lots of churn in the US and specifically in the San Francisco office. New leadership seems lost and isn't as engaged, responsive or as involved as previous leadership.

Advice to Management

Hire the right management for the office who can handle the job.

"Man the lifeboats!"

I have been working at LEWIS Global Communications full-time

Pros

Initially a very positive environment. Decent benefits. Generous (and abused) PTO.

Cons

Management does not know how to nurture or build business. They are lost in outdated marketing principles and out of touch with today's market place.

Everyone is very green, short-sighted and amateurish in their marketing abilities - they get very excited by shiny things and pats on their backs. Anyone with the least bit of real-world experience can see through the cracks in the facade of this place. Innovation and new ideas are rarely embraced.

To say "out with the old and in with the new," as one canned reviewer puts it - diminishes the many talented people who have been burnt by this agency and diverts the root of it's failures elsewhere. This type of unprofessionalism abounds here.

Ignore the company values, they don't really care about their people because management is unable to engage enough with them. This is not a place to grow, but if you want to excel in average, then this is the place for you!

Advice to Management

Actually develop and live your true culture and values, not just as a company but as individuals, because you are not walking the walk when it comes to fulfilling the promises that you espouse.

"Senior Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LEWIS Global Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good people, decent office space in SF

Cons

Terrible culture, very clicky. You are expected to work very long hours with no comp time. Management has only one way of doing things, outside ideas are not welcome and clients can be very boring

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like a cog in a wheel