LGI Homes Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
LGI Homes CEO Eric Lipar
Eric Lipar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "This is a great company to work for hands down" (in 12 reviews)

• "Great company culture and benefits" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Their work hours are too long for any work/life balance" (in 7 reviews)

• "I have no cons for this work place" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Opportunities Galore"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at LGI Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great senior leadership who is incredibly accessible
    - opportunities to take on leadership positions pretty frequently

Cons

- I wish bonuses for non-sales employees were performance-based with a higher ceiling instead of loyalty-based (which they are now)

Advice to Management

- keep it up

Dec 5, 2018 – LGI Homes

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We agree there are so many opportunities to shine at LGI Homes. We appreciate your hard work and will take your feedback into... More

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at LGI Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, Culture, Flexability, Advancment, Perks

Cons

You will work weekends

Nov 12, 2018 – LGI Homes

Thanks for leaving us a review! We agree - LGI offers great pay with a rich culture. Keep up the great work - we appreciate your hard work on the weekends!

"Sincerely Disappointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at LGI Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They promote from within, and you have the potential to grow quickly in title (and title only). They have a good bonus, and they have low expectations, so it takes little to seem exceptional.

Cons

The short version-
    Take what you will from these very telling and often repeated mottos around the corporate office. 1) “We don’t have a suggestion box.” 2) “It doesn’t matter if its helicopters or houses, we will sell it.” 3) “Build them cheap and stack them deep.” 4) “You have to have rhino skin to work here.” 5) “Not my monkey” (not my problem, I won’t help you)
    The long version-
    The first and primary problem with this company is that you will quickly run out of learning potential. If you are the kind of employee that is comfortable repeating the same job day in and day out, and don’t rock the boat with new ideas, you will be fine. However, if you are looking to grow and expand as a professional, you will have a rough time. They say that they look for “Constant and Never-Ending Improvement”, but they also tell you on the very first day that “we don’t have a suggestion box”. I was with LGI for over two years, and eventually made the decision to leave because I didn’t believe that LGI had the capacity or desire to improve, and that directly affects the employee’s ability to improve.
    Secondarily, but not insignificantly, they tend to make the mistake of thinking that if an employee is good at their job, they are qualified to manage somebody to do the same job. Over time, this led to an overabundance of poor managers with poor intentions. In my case, it became clear to me that my manager had been intentionally concealing my success to boost his stature. A qualified manager knows that having a great team is what makes a manager great. A good manager will fight for their employees. A good manager will do what his best for his team, not what is best for purely himself. This was missing from my manager and is missing from most managers there. They read a book called ’13 Fatal Errors that Managers Make’ but seem to skip the chapter that states that an employee comes to work for two things: A paycheck, and for self-esteem. So, when you have a manager that will pay you well under market, and a manager that will steal your successes to boost themselves, you run out of motivation to keep coming to work. I left feeling personally betrayed and taken advantage of. Unfortunately, this is not rare in this organization. This problem is perpetuated beyond your manager, even if your direct manager is one of the few good ones, because of the overly hierarchical structure. Decision making capacity is diminished for managers. Even things like seating arrangements and scheduling decisions must be discussed all the way up the chain, even involving the CEO. There is no escape from toxic mis-management.
    In general, LGI suffers because they cannot grow past small company decisions. Hiring/promoting friends and family, regardless of qualification, refusing to adopt standard technological processes, and operating off an “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mentality. As the company grows larger and larger, these problems will expand, and new ones will arise. But I wouldn’t hold my breath that there will be a change any time soon.

Advice to Management

I would stop making employees compete for basic recognition, i would stop operating off of nepotistic values, I would stop assuming that management is an intrinsic talent, and I would start returning the loyalty you demand from your employees. I truly believe LGI could be great, if you started to realize that good employees are your most important asset.

Dec 5, 2018 – LGI Homes

Thanks for the feedback. Reading this review is extremely upsetting as we can feel your disappointment and passion. The relationship with and behavior from your manager is unacceptable and truly not... More

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Sales in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Sales in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at LGI Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and good atmosphere.

Cons

Just a pretty rough schedule if you want to make any money.

Dec 5, 2018 – LGI Homes

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We know that weekend hours can be long - and we appreciate that dedication. Keep up the grind and we will see you at the Circle of Excellence!

"Corporate Employer"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at LGI Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Culture is incredible
    - If you work well with a set in stone process (that works), this is the place for you
    - Everyone in the office is positive
    - It is all about support from management to upper level executives

Cons

- None at this point - all good!

Advice to Management

Continue getting to know your newer employees. People appreciate feeling appreciated and I have felt that this far.

Dec 5, 2018 – LGI Homes

Thanks for the great review! We are so pleased to hear that your short time at LGI has been incredible so far. We pride ourselves on a positive culture and atmosphere. Keep up the great work - we... More

6. "Manage home building"

Current Employee - Construction Superintendent in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Construction Superintendent in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at LGI Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company to work for hands down

Cons

I have no cons for this work place

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Dec 5, 2018 – LGI Homes

Thanks for the great review! Keep up the good work as well!

"A place for growth - personally and professionally!"

I have been working at LGI Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for LGI Homes for three years. Starting with a comprehensive interview process that allowed me to learn so much about the company before “doing business” with them, to where I am today operating at peak efficiency in my role, I am still just as excited to be working here as I was when I signed on the dotted line.

LGI Homes takes all the necessary steps during the interview process to provide candidates with a clear picture of what it is like to work here – the interview consists of three parts, with one of the interviews dedicated entirely to ‘shadowing’ the position. They invest so much in training their employees, so it makes sense that they would want to be transparent about what the job will entail. Everything I was told on day 1 three years ago about the company and the opportunity is true today, except now we have expanded into even more states and moved in 26,000 families vs. the 13,000 moved in when I first came on board.

Everyone likes to talk about culture, but it’s not something to be misunderstood as filler comments for why it’s great to work here. We have six core values and a defined culture here at LGI that serves as the foundation for all decisions we make, which allows us to be consistent as we grow. The culture, core values, and processes are enforced from the top down with the CEO and COO at the helm of a very well-run ship, and trainings/retreats/boot camps for management allow for best practices to be passed down to all employees. The President and CEO are relentless in the training we offer new and existing employees, and are very in tune with what is happening in the field. That is because they dedicate their time to conducting sales trainings each quarter, and provide other training opportunities across the nation year-round. They define what it means to be people-focused. We have an LGI Way that serves to enforce the We, Us, Together culture, and I’ll say that while it was very different from other companies I have experience with, LGI has provided the most positive, productive, and fun work environment.

I see reviews on here that talk about “having to drink the Koolaid”, but I’m compelled to say that just like with anything else in life, your career at LGI is what you make it. What you put in is what you will get out of working here, and if they want to complain about leadership wanting everyone engaged in the business and to be excited to be striving towards the same goal, then they probably won’t be satisfied anywhere. Who wants to show up to work every day and not be challenged? Who wants to show up every day just to be content with being disinterested in their own career? LGI is a place for people who want to be on fire for their career, and who can rise to the occasion to accomplish their goals while following the processes that have proven success. I would rather work for a company that gives me something to believe in and to get excited about when I wake up each day, with a process and set expectations in my role, rather than show up at an office to crank out meaningless work.

Working here has changed my life professionally as well as personally. I feel valued here, and I am grateful for the positive change I've experienced in this environment. I am happy to work for a company that gets me excited about the future!

Cons

No cons to share, I truly believe this is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue to hold middle- management accountable. That is where the difference is made to your employees - their managers directly impact their experience working here. Continue training and setting the clear expectations starting at the top so that all employees at corporate and in the field can be set up for success, be enabled to to their job well, and have a consistent experience.

I believe the discrepancy between what is discussed during training and what is executed in the day to day by the managers responsible for taking that knowledge back to the field can be a training opportunity for us. Continue to keep everyone on track and excited about what we will achieve together!

Dec 5, 2018 – LGI Homes

Wow, what an incredible review! We love the passion that you have for this company! We appreciate this feedback and absolutely agree that LGI Homes is the vehicle to achieve success. We are just as... More

"Avoid LGI Homes at all costs"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at LGI Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros to working at LGI Homes

Cons

My experience with LGI Homes was negative in every way. This home building company could care less about the homes they are building, LGI is too busy bragging about success and "culture". Experienced construction managers need not apply, LGI would rather hire someone who is moldable and can conform to their own poor quality way of building homes. The benefits are terrible at this company, poor compensation, poor insurance, truck/fuel allowance is not enough to cover gas (and is taxed), and you better expect you bonus per house to be just barely enough to call it 3 figures. You make up the bonus in volume, 60-70 houses per year at 50-70 days per house. Dont worry, you are given a 150 page manual of which to build the houses from, treat it like a bible, but only 10 pages pertain to actual homebuilding. Constant meetings and one on ones with your manager add to your weekly routine. You are constantly reminded how awesome LGI is and setup to "buy in" to the culture, but it ends up coming off as brainwashed and robotic in the end. On top of all this, the non compete for construction staff sets you up so if you leave LGI in any way, you aren't allowed to work for another builder for 12 months following your termination.

There are enough builders hiring in the market, you shouldn't even consider LGI homes. I struggled to find anything positive while at the position, and was happy to leave.

Advice to Management

I don't even know where to begin.

Dec 5, 2018 – LGI Homes

Thanks for the review. LGI Homes recently acquired Wynn Homes, and we know that assimilating to a new role, system and company culture can be difficult. We only wish that you could have given LGI a... More

9. "Sales Consultant"

I worked at LGI Homes full-time

Pros

Pay is good for sub par product.

Cons

Long hours, no life balance and incapable leadership

Advice to Management

Stop lying to protect yourselves and get all the praise when sales is the reason you have a job.

Dec 5, 2018 – LGI Homes

Thanks for the review. It is no secret that salespeople are the most important people at LGI Homes, and we reward accordingly. Sales personnel receive the largest rewards and have the most... More

"Shady people and practices"

Former Employee - Construction in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Construction in Raleigh, NC

I worked at LGI Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros. Nothing at all

Cons

Lies, deception, intimidation, manipulation and disrespect to be the best and make the most money for themselves is the name of the game here. Their sales practices are used car sales like. They don’t care about real building experience in their CMs. There house bonus for CMs is so far below industry standards is almost none existent once taxed. You have to pay a portion of you own Benefits. They tax your auto allowance. They bully you into making quick decisions regarding your job or they fire you. Still waiting for my termination paperwork from HR. I guess I am dead to them now.
    Worst experience I have ever had with a building company. So much so I actually have stepped away from new construction to do something different.
    Run for your life.

Dec 5, 2018 – LGI Homes

LGI Homes acquired Wynn Homes earlier this year, along with many of Wynn's existing employees. We know it was incredibly hard to have been told this news, and along with it have to assimilate to new... More