LGS Innovations Reviews | Glassdoor

Kevin L. Kelly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Okayest Place To Work"

I have been working at LGS Innovations full-time

Pros

-Interesting Problems
    -Real world impact
    -Localized teams of employees can be strong and supportive places to work
    -Business is doing well which presents a lot of opportunity
    -No BS like riding scooters around the office to the ping-pong tournament. People have real responsibilities and are expected to get real work done.

Cons

-Support organizations (HR, Finance, IT, Facilities) are stuck in their ways and are either unwilling or unable to change to better support a growing, evolving company leading to a lot of frustration.
    -Bell Labs roots mean it's an older company with culture, people, and processes from another era.
    -Fast growth strains the employees who have to keep up with it.

Advice to Management

There will probably be a comment about how I can discuss my concerns with my manager or HR business partner. How can we actually make our company better when I have a manager who knows these things but feels powerless? They took down the public CEO suggestion box (where some good-yet-uncomfortable issues had been raised) so that shows you how interested they are in having a conversation. This is a solid place to work but let's start a dialog--with opportunity for real change--about what we want to be as a company and how to make this a better business.

Aug 15, 2017 – Marketing

Thank you for your candid opinion and suggestions. You are right that we usually advise bringing concerns to the attention of your manager or local HR partner, but we also understand that this might... More

2. "Caution Advised"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Westminster, CO

I have been working at LGS Innovations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart people doing good work for national security. Very interesting tech; you'll be exposed to a variety of good stuff to put on the resume.
    40 hours weeks. No pressure to work OT.
    Decent pay and benefits.

Cons

Senior leaders appear to be out of their depth and clueless esp. on business matters. Short sighted and seem to always be putting out fires. They take forever to make decisions and rarely resolve tough problems, especially wrt personnel who are poor performers and/or a bad fit. Incompetent managers are destroying moral. Many should have been moved on years ago.

Company culture is kinda weird - no one is held accountable (esp. management) and general vibe is "get along/don't rock the boat".
    Very dependent on gov't funding - not sure it is a good time to be with a defense contractor.

Advice to Management

Weed out bad managers and bring in new blood. Your company has settled into mediocrity.

3. "Unique, mission driven innovation company"

Current Employee - Director, Solutions Management in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Director, Solutions Management in Herndon, VA

I have been working at LGS Innovations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exceptional talent and innovation. Truly leading edge in the areas they focus on. The only company I've worked for that can go from an idea to operational deployments in 1-2 years. Invests in ideas and people to create new technologies with a longer view than most defense companies. Company's products and software make a real difference for Special Forces and IC customers.

Cons

Rapid growth is out pacing staffing. Very high standards and requirements limit applicant pools. Unable to use best technologies for commercial market and other a Gov customers.

Advice to Management

Commercialize or sale royalties for non classified cutting edge technology

Aug 15, 2017 – Marketing

You are right that LGS puts a high priority on exceptional talent and innovation - our creative and smart people are our greatest asset! This spirit of ingenuity keeps us fast and agile when it comes... More

4. "Engineer"

I have been working at LGS Innovations full-time

Pros

Corporate morale is overall positive.
    There's a good diversity of experienced and new hires.
    Management seems to be doing a good job of getting new work by winning proposals.

Cons

Very hard to work remotely.
    Security clearance is majorly backlogged, which makes it difficult to find unclassified work as a new hire. There's needs to be a policy of what new hires can/should do while waiting for clearance.

Aug 15, 2017 – Marketing

We’re excited about new work coming our way (and about our existing projects too, of course) – we’re glad you are too!
    As you know, much of the work we do demands high levels of security clearance... More

5. "More than just a job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at LGS Innovations full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Highest quality technological challenges
    Mission focused environment
    Accessible management
    Very consistent feedback from the CEO on the achievements and direction of the company
    Lots of future growth potential

In my early years with the company many folks took the time to help me learn and understand our technology as well as how to navigate the world of government contracting. As time has gone on I have had the opportunity to grow with the company and build a career I'm proud of.

Cons

The clearance process can be arduous but its worth it

Advice to Management

The innovation program has evolved well over time, keep it up. The town halls and other lines of communication with employees are all very helpful.

Aug 15, 2017 – Marketing

Thanks for your review! We're excited about the growth of the company as well, and the opportunities this presents for our employees. It's great to hear you have built a career you are proud of... More

"Great Company with a Culture of Innovation and Technical Excellence"

Current Employee - Management in Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Management in Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at LGS Innovations full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The corporate culture at LGS values and rewards technical excellence, innovation, and collaboration.
    The work is extremely interesting, technically challenging and personally rewarding as it directly impacts national security and makes a huge difference in the world.
    The quality of the employee base is top notch with many world recognized technical experts in wireless communications, signal processing, optical communications, optical sensing, and cyber security. Due to the culture of collaboration, these experts routinely mentor and jointly work side by side with all of the project technical staff. This ensures a great working/learning environment for all, especially the more junior members of the project team.
    Company is growing and continues to invest resources in development of the technology base, hiring technical experts, and upgrading of facilities.
    Due to the fact that the company is growing, there are many opportunities for professional career advancement.
    Management is positive, informative and supports employee empowerment.
    Flexible work schedules.

Cons

Security clearance required for most jobs.
    Project/proposal deadlines occasionally require very long days and extra effort.

Advice to Management

Technical excellence and state of the art innovation are two attributes of the company that set LGS apart from the competition, therefore, continued corporate commitment and investment in these areas is vital to the success of the company.

Aug 15, 2017 – Marketing

It's great to hear that you find your work rewarding! It is our goal to hire and retain the best and brightest, and our focus on technology and innovation not only helps our teams express their... More

7. "Wonderful Company and Career"

I have been working at LGS Innovations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Working with fellow patriots
    -Contributing to national security
    -Sense of purpose
    -Competitive compensation
    -Great camaraderie
    -Friendly co-workers
    -Great diversity in staff
    -Fair treatment of others
    -Not another beltway bandit....you can have a career here
    -Lots of effort to recognize contributions, even within the corporate centers

Cons

-Culture is somewhat slow to change on some issues, but improving. Resistance to change is due to historical successes, so warranted in many cases.
    -Some perception of lack of opportunities due to long tenure employees enjoy limiting some to move up in some cases, but overcome due to company growth where new opportunities arise.
    -LGS is renown for getting its customers what they need. This can sometimes impact work-life balance. Most people understand what is at stake though at this time in our country.

Advice to Management

Staying true to your values can be challenging when you have revenue demands. Do not forget what got you here and that will help you continue to grow.

Aug 15, 2017 – Marketing

Thanks for your honest feedback! We love the sense of camaraderie and purpose here as well, and are glad to hear that you have built (and continue to build) a career with LGS.

8. "Great place to work"

I have been working at LGS Innovations full-time

Pros

Technically challenging, good leadership, strong sense of purpose throughout with a desire to do the best possible for customers and employees, excellent benefits

Cons

Security clearance process takes time, multiple locations can lead to some collaboration challenges.

Aug 15, 2017 – Marketing

Glad to hear that you enjoy the technical challenges and strong sense of purpose here at LGS! Our people are our greatest asset, and we always put a high priority on the needs of our customers and... More

"Interesting work for system design, telecom, software engineering"

Former Employee - Consultant in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Consultant in Westminster, CO

I worked at LGS Innovations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of resources, many strong team members, supportive management, interesting problems to be solved. Lots of growth and new business coming in.
    Great location between Denver and Boulder, Colorado.
    Nice new facilities.

Cons

Growth and up-staffing might be too much, too fast.
    Security clearance requirements are a stumbling block for many people.
    High-security environment can be an irritation at times.
    Travel necessity might be too much for some folks.
    Project and product management is sometimes haphazard, confusing, or burdensome.
    IT support quality varies.
    The company was spun off and sold to a private investment group a couple years ago - some uncertainty about the future - will they split it up and sell it to a few bigger companies, or will LGS hold together as an independent entity?

Aug 15, 2017 – Marketing

It’s good to hear you had a positive experience during your time with LGS – we love our strong, creative teams and are excited about the cool projects coming our way.

When we came under private... More

"Amateur hour at the circus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at LGS Innovations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Products are used to do some very good things.

Cons

The political drama and rampant in-fighting is the worst I've seen. Incompetent people and people devoid of people skills have been promoted to high levels of management. The company resists changing to logical and industry accepted processes and tools. Developers are stuffed into overcrowded open labs which are far worse than cube farms.
    They recently added an entire layer of management which didn’t add value but in fact made decisions more cumbersome. Project management is a joke with non-technical managers “leading” teams. The classified environment is difficult to work in and adds burdens to your personal life.
    LGS is the second worst (out of half a dozen) company I’ve worked for. They are shopping themselves to be bought so be careful.

Jul 6, 2017 – Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We agree that our products and services are something to be proud of – a culture of innovations and new ideas is a high priority at LGS. Employee... More