LIFE Pittsburgh Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
LIFE Pittsburgh CEO Joann Gago
Joann Gago

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Employer and Company"

I have been working at LIFE Pittsburgh full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

LIFE Pittsburgh is like a family. They value their employees and Participants. Salaries are competitive, excellent health benefits with reasonable employee contribution, great retirement plan. Provide an annual Founder's Day Celebration and Summer Picnic with gifts for employees. Offer incentive gifts for 5, 10, 15, and 20 years of service.

Cons

Some positions have high turnover. Non profit so can not provide large bonuses or salary increases. Multiple locations doesn't allow opportunity to interact with all employees.

"Stay away."

Current Employee - Scheduling Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Scheduling Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at LIFE Pittsburgh full-time

Pros

Healthcare and that's about it.

Cons

Everything. It's not even worth the interview.

Advice to Management

Fire all and begin new!

"not a good fit"

Former Employee - Accounting Manager
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager

I worked at LIFE Pittsburgh full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good staff people, good concept

Cons

High turnover, Not clear goals, Scattered leadership

"Run away from job openings here! You will see a TON due to the revolving door work environment! RUN"

Former Employee - Corporate Office
    Former Employee - Corporate Office

I worked at LIFE Pittsburgh full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The elderly people that you can make smile. Benefits were ok until they changed. I can't submit this until I have 20 words as pros? And yep I've got nothing.

Cons

Where to start? First I would look at the reviews and notice the pattern of the positive reviews all occurring within a few days in September. That's likely when someone finally noticed the truth about the company coming out. The positive reviews were likely written by the directors or management. Do yourself a favor, if this company comes up in a job search delete it. The directors are horrible people. They spend their time behind closed doors mainly gossiping about their employees and coworkers. They have code names for people and use them. Some are so careless that they accidentally send emails to the wrong people. It's happened often. The time I spent here reminded me of grade school. I processed weekly terminations and then the next week shuttled in new employees who were lucky to still be working there a few months later. If they were good employees and brought ideas on how to improve the program, they were made fun of, discredited and typically some lie was made up to get them fired or they made it so impossible to stay in the environment that they tendered their resignation. Totally wish the government would step in and make changes to management. Seriously, run!

Advice to Management

Why waste your breath? The clique does what it wants. This should read "Advice to Government" and it should be - fire everyone at the director level and start over with employees who have a heat.

"Great employer and company"

I have been working at LIFE Pittsburgh full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at LIFE Pittsburgh for over 6 years. The mission is incredible as is the company. Having the ability to work with a team of individuals from varying departments all devoted to the frail, elderly population is amazing. Some of the comments within the reviews are unfair given the devotion and dedication the management and leadership team has to preserving the quality of life and well being of the population. Some of these individuals are working incredibly hard (some well over the typical work week) to promote the mission and well being of participants. While every company has individuals who may not be in it for the right reasons, the employees devoted to the mission and cause (including all directors that I have encountered along with management) for the most part are empathetic, caring, have an open ear, and want what is best for he participants that we serve and the employees that work here. I would recommend this company to anyone willing to serve the geriatric population and fulfill their wishes to age in place.

Cons

As census grows with the company, staff and management / directors have to take on increased responsibilities and work load. While this isn't unusual, consistent analysis of workload and feedback of staff should continue to be taken to monitor burnout.

Advice to Management

See above.

"Great Mission, Not a Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at LIFE Pittsburgh full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The concept of this company is great. The idea of being able to help Senior Citizens maintain their independence is heart warming and makes you feel like you're making a difference.

Cons

The Administrative staff is run by a nightmare clique of Directors/Managers who routinely degrade their employees. Employees are micro-manage, under-appreciated, and mistreated. Good performance is futile and goes unrecognized.

The clique of Directors/Managers do not like to integrate anyone new. The level of it all is quite ridiculous for grown adults. Any innovative processes a new talent might bring is quickly squelched by insecure Management. The narrow-minded clique perpetuates stagnation within the company’s potential to expand its mission.

Management/Directors are unprofessional and unethical; making blatant lies and gossiping about their employees. Employee reviews are passed around to various staff members in an attempt to discredit them. I was shocked when a Manager began gossiping about one of her staff then proceeded to disclose to me how poorly the employee was performing. At one point, a Director accidentally sent an email to me that she had intended to send to a Manager; it was an email gossiping about me.

Overall the administration in this company is very unprofessional and unethical. There are people in high level positions that simply do not understand how to respect their employees. Please consider the reviews for this company before accepting employment; there is a clear repetitive message being conveyed.

Advice to Management

Please learn to treat your employees ethically and with respect; it is an imperative aspect to maintaining the companies mission.

"Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at LIFE Pittsburgh full-time (More than a year)

Pros

LIFE Pittsburgh was an absolute joy to work for. As an employee, I never felt taken advantage of or under appreciated; in fact, I was uplifted, encouraged and celebrated on a normal basis from all of the upper management. My job was difficult due to the wide variety of directors I served and the extent to which I supported each of them in detailed and extensive projects, however, each director was understanding and very realistic about goals and deadlines.

I know a couple of the other reviews talked down on the management in LIFE Pittsburgh, but I believe that there is often a disconnect between management and employees. In particular, LIFE Pittsburgh had 4 operating centers and then an administrative office when I worked there and employees often do not see the amount of work that goes on behind the scenes, especially being in the healthcare industry.

The directors often worked 10-12 hour days and then took work home at night and worked over the weekend just to complete all the required paperwork. They tirelessly go out of their way to be advocates for not only the participants that LIFE Pittsburgh serves but also the employees that are so vital to the organization. My time at LIFE Pittsburgh will always be held in high regard as the organization was more of a family working together than a company.

Cons

The directors often had so many responsibilities that took them outside the office that sometimes they were difficult to communicate with, which was unavoidable considering the tasks that they needed to complete daily were substantial. This would be my only complaint.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Had I not been moving to a different state I would still be working there.

"Heart-filling Opportunity to Make a Difference"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

The first time I walked into the building and saw the staff interacting with the participants - average age of 79-80, average of 7-8 chronic medical conditions, all paid for my medicare and medicaid, I was literally in tears. I thought, I want to do whatever I have to in order to be in this environment. I have been a member of the management team, a group of about 40 people who gets together every month. Every single person in the organization has an opportunity to be heard. The CEO founded the organization about 15 years ago and she is a remarkable human being. Her door is always open to anyone at any level in the organization. This is a great way to make a difference with the people in the region who need it most. The staff are wonderful and there is a real team environment. The participants are so very appreciative - to a person - that it makes going to work there (for me, at least), a true privilege.

Cons

My biggest frustration is that, given that the organization is Medicare/Medicaid-based, there are quite a few things that the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) needs to approve, and they are slow. Want to change a page on the website? It literally might take CMS up to 45 days to approve it. This, combined with the fact that it's a healthcare organization, means that most change moves slowly. As a can-do, impatient, results-oriented worker, initially this frustrated me to no end. However, since I changed my expectations (too me about 6 months!), I no longer get upset by this.

Advice to Management

I think more town-hall type meetings might be a great way for people to express themselves. Even though the CEO has an open-door policy, many people probably feel intimidated or like they might be wasting the CEO's time. However, when the CEO goes out and solicits feedback, it can be less confronting to provide it.

"Great organization, mission, growing with opportunity"

Current Employee - Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at LIFE Pittsburgh full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This organization has a unique mission for keeping the elderly independent. This is not a nursing home or hospital and is extremely rewarding. Company continues to grow which is good but sometimes with growth comes challenges. Offers good pay and unbelievable benefits. Medical coverage is very cheap per pay, but only has $10 co pays and no deductibles. Been here for years and there is a commitment to providing benefits at good costs.

Cons

No company is perfect, but seeing some reviews on here is not fair to the company. Everyone is committed to the mission and works hard to be a good employer. There are a lot of staff who have been employed for longer than 5 years, and lots of employees who have been offered promotions and advancement. With growth, comes challenges and management development is needed. Managers at times are just too busy with the management of Participant care and staff can feel put to the side. Never see this at intentional and there are some great managers to work for.

Advice to Management

As above, everyone is busy but employees want to be recognized and supported.

"Excellent Employer"

Pros

I'm very happy to be associated with a group of people at all levels that really understand their missions and give 110% every day to make that mission possible. Where most companies have the bottom line at the top of their list, this company is all about the good work they are doing.

Cons

There is a lot of work to accomplish and not enough hours in the day.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing. You are making a real difference.