LIS Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Linguist"

Current Freelancer - Linguist in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Freelancer - Linguist in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at LIS Services (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working for LIS since 2015 as a linguist, great people working there and I love to be part of this company.

Cons

the payment should be 30 days not 45 days after the job.

Advice to Management

They should send the payments on time, I always go to the office to pick up my check so I know I will have it on time.

2. "Interpreter"

Current Contractor - Certified Interpreter in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Certified Interpreter in New York, NY

I have been working at LIS Services as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

interesting assignments, staff is polite

Cons

Never pay on time min. per contract.45 days sometimes 60 days, payments incorrect too often. Poor management caused LIS to lose a national contract w/SSA. Interpreters lost big time from loss of assignments!

Advice to Management

Be careful w/accounting as someone most likely will report LIS to DOL, IRS & all govt agencies they contract work from. There's a new NYC law called Freelance Isn't Free. LIS can be sued for not paying on time or not paying correct amounts due to subcontractors.

3. "HORRIBLE COMPANY"

Current Employee - Linguist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Linguist in New York, NY

I have been working at LIS Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only reason I work for this company as a contractor is because they are the only company being awarded projects due to their low bidding.

Cons

This company forces you to wait "45" days until payment but they don't even pay you on the 45th day, you have to beg them for payment. They claim usps loses your check in the mail every other week, or they send you a check with no funds or a signature. At the end of every year they overstate what you actually make so they pay less taxes and you pay more. I don't know how this company actually gets awarded projects.

Advice to Management

Close your doors and start over again when you're ready to act like an organized business with cash flow. It's only a matter of time before the government, IRS, DOL, picks up on all your scams. The owners should be extremely ashamed of themselves but I'm sure they aren't.

4. "Spanish Interpreter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Social Services. Working for ACS workers is rewarding and educational in all backgrounds.

Cons

The job is a freelance and it is not a Full time job opportunity.

Advice to Management

Outreach experience as well as Call Center Experience.

"Horrible company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at LIS Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can gain experience within the industry. The company has alot of clients that you can later put on your resume and say that you worked with. Close to the train station.

Cons

Poor salaries for employees. CEO doesn't know anything but collects all the money, the COO pretty much runs the company. Turnover is very high. The company likes the fire or push employees out in order to hire new people for cheap. Then its rinse and repeat.

Examples of situations that have happened with regard to employees.

-One employee quit the same day she came came into work because of the stress of the position.

-Another employee stopped coming to work completely after being overworked.

-A third employee was laid off while on vacation with no severance pay.

The company has no respect for you unless your Jewish and even then its still no guarantee.

Advice to Management

Share the money. Stop being greedy. Pay employees decent salaries.

"temporary gig"

Former Freelancer - Spanish Language Interpreter in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Freelancer - Spanish Language Interpreter in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at LIS Services (More than a year)

Pros

Acquiring experience in certain governent fields.

Cons

Do not expect growth. They also don't care about interpreters, you are just a number in a balancing budget sheet and they will not take into consideration your credentials, they just want to get you at humiliating low rates. They also take about 2 months to pay.

Advice to Management

You are selling Professional Services from your freelancers, this is your product and you have fallen into the unfair business practices treating your Professionals as cheap computer chips from China.

"Not recommended for quality staff"

Former Employee - Freelancer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Freelancer in New York, NY

Pros

The colleagues are mostly highly qualified, well-educated people who are very dedicated to providing an excellent service. It is wonderful to have such colleagues and blend into that kind of whole-hearted dedication.

Cons

Staff is underpaid. Freelance gigs often require long travel, travel expenses and lots of patience in return for a meager to almost nothing compensation - after 45 days of providing the service (or even later). Frankly, how come that they still find staff willing to put up with such treatment?

Advice to Management

Improve management of salaries, be punctual

"Great company & amazing team members"

Current Employee - Recruitment Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Recruitment Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at LIS Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Legal Interpreting Services is a place i would recommend for everyone looking to find a place where you feel valued and encouraged everyday. The culture that this company has is like no other, the employees are treated with respect and are paid attention at all times. The open door policy is literally what this company is all about. Everyone is able to communicate very efficiently with upper management and any issues that arise are targeted on the spot to ensure all parties are able to move forward. Time off policies make sense, PTO's are allotted after the 3 month mark and other benefits kick in around the same time. This company has a lot to offer and will improve in the next years.

Cons

There is a lot to be done, however everything is manageable and resources are made available to improve your production.

Advice to Management

I believe that management is doing an outstanding job and should continue to do the same.

"Freelance Linguists Beware!"

Former Contractor - Linguist in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Linguist in New York, NY

I worked at LIS Services as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Assignments are interesting. Staff is cordial, though they can't provide any real administrative support when it comes to accounts payable.

Cons

Their payment cycle is 45 days after assingment completion, per contract.

However, even with the extra-long payment cycle, they are still unable to make payments on time. This company's finance is badly managed and has an ongoing cash-flow issue, read. no pay for freelancers.

Calls and questions about when checks might be mailed out are simply brushed off by staff with no accountability, no ownership or the crux of the issue no real power for resolution.

The manager has no cash to pay the freelancers or run this business like a buisness - on both ends.

I would not recommend working for this company unless you are okay with being jerked around and getting your money who knows when... Oh

Advice to Management

Have sufficient cash on hand to cover the operating costs of your business so you don't leave your freelancers hanging w/o $$$ and your staff having to fend for your poor financial acumen and management strategy.

"High turnover and uncomfortable environment to work in."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at LIS Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best part was the people I worked with. Most of the people I met at this small company were brilliant, multi-lingual, funny, and hardworking.

Cons

The president has a very strong personality and is very hands-on, so if she rubs you the wrong way you are never going to be happy there. The hours were very long for the meager compensation. During the interview process they made it sound like it was an amazing place to work, and I'm guessing this is how they managed to get so many amazing people to work for them. But turnover was extremely high, morale was extremely low, and I couldn't wait to move on once I had the full picture. The last straw was when some of the freelancers we hired actually showed up in person because they had been getting the runaround for so long and just wanted to collect what they were owed for their work. No-one from upper management would see them, and we low-level employees had to apologize for a situation that was out of our control. One woman was actually crying with frustration. It was a valuable learning experience and I don't regret trying it, but unless they've done a complete turnaround in terms of how they treat their staff, I'd run away screaming from any opportunity to work for them again.

Advice to Management

Compensate your employees fairly, don't hold pointless meetings that waste everybody's time, and don't micro-manage every single second--people who are under constant scrutiny are not productive.