LLNS Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sharon Callahan

1. "Decent Place to work"

I worked at LLNS full-time

Pros

Nice people, amazing Creative Director- Dan Chichester, great Starbucks coffee

Cons

Office space needs to be more modern, inspirational.

2. "Run , horrinle place & behind the times"

I worked at LLNS full-time

Pros

People r only positive

Cons

Leadership is an nightmare. Sharon who runs healthcare is a horrible human and threatens employees. Can not believe they still allow a person like that to run an agency. You couldn't pay me $5 million to ever go back there

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees

"Extremely corporate, Bland, distinctly un-creative environment & senior creative leadership"

Pros

Bagel Fridays are good, some of the people are nice, you may be able to coast by if you just don't care that much

Cons

Well, the title of the post says it all. Without good creative leadership, theres just no way to get good work. It's design by committee. Account leadership is completely based on favortism, so it's an absolute joke. Bad pay. Typical top-heavy, disconnected senior management run the show and are completely disconnected from reality, employees and the Pharma industry, Digital, or anything creative. Old and obsolete thinking. Lie to employees. Toxic environment. Employees drop like flies and are at best apathetic with no respect for leadership (rightfully so). I wish I never worked here.

Advice to Management

I guess I'd say pay the actual workers more, besides that, None. There's absolutely no point. Stay away from this place. They worn't be around for long anyway.

5. "VP"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Laid back company with some new talents.

Cons

Too much politics , gossiping and low pay.

"One voice of many"

Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY
    Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I have been working at LLNS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay well for the tasks that are required daily. There is free fruit, water and bagels on Friday. If you are looking to coast and just have an income, this agency could be good for you.

Cons

LLNS has some good people left within it. Sadly after two and a half years of working here I have developed in no way other than resentment for corporate America. This is what they do: Bend the truth of business strategy to impress the clients resulting in a poor return on investment at the client expense. It is excessively top-heavy – there are fourteen VP positions within an agency of about fifty staff members. The fifty includes admins and office services staff.

Within my service at LLNS, development of a career skill set has been at an all time low. Anything that I had suggested to assist in planning and with brand integrity was simply ignored by senior and VP levels. I have no issue being told that my thoughts and ideas are imperfect, though I would like to know why or how so that I may learn. Asking such questions was treated as a taboo. This made professional development nonexistent, unless keeping one’s head down and doing as you’re told is considered development. I will never see being treated as livestock a form of growth. Regardless, this “do as you’re told” mentality is from the top level. I refuse to believe that is how Al Nickel ran the agency when he helped found it and breathed life into it.

Looking through the financial books, I noticed that it took several years for some clients to realize that what they had been sold was not what they had been receiving. Actually, it’s rather astounding how the spin doctors had been able to hide charted data from the clients for so long. You can start to see where in LLNS history things begin going south as they began to lose key clients, such as the Pfizer® brands, Brain Tree®, Afinitor® and so on. The Zykadia® brand like Afinitor® is part of the Novartis® brands so I wonder if anyone from the accounting department at Novartis® will start to wonder why one brand left and another stayed with the LLNS.

I fear that will end the agency, seeing as that is the one remaining large brand. My equals, as well as myself, have a good chuckle over the fact that clients would pay top dollar for such poorly constructed ad materials. These materials sometimes conflicted with Food and Drug Administration (FDA) guidelines, thus resulting in additional costs to the client. When the Office of Prescription Drug Promotion (OPDP) declines ad submissions, it costs the client both time and money. As of late, the LLNS staff has been able to win a few new businesses by default, adding to their portfolio. I can’t see them staying too long unless the spin doctors slip some more misinformation into a presentation deck. Let’s see how long the Zykadia® and Biosimilars lasts within their walls. Who knows, maybe the clients will stay and sign a new deal to get a better price for the output of LLNS quality.

The staffing is dreadfully disproportionate as they have a battalion of VP staff members and so very few to perform client related or internal tasks. Internally, the VP offices are called “overhead alley” and I believe it is an accurate name for such a place. A large percentage of the VP staff I would not trust to get a coffee order correct let alone run a brand. I know it is hard to believe but the number of oversights and budgetary overages are astounding. I am all for people who earn the title and hold their position with tact, but I feel it is more about what looks good on paper when staff is introduced to a client more so than their actual accomplishments or professional roles. This would be the “negligent scholars” portion of the NS in LLNS, the full name being “Lazy Liars & Negligent Scholars.” Just because someone has a degree does not always mean they will work well within your market space or be proficient at understanding your product.

I know there is a post regarding a change in the air at LLNS to reflect the CEO (Sharon F. Callahan) taking action in turning the place around. That post requires a follow-up regarding how people are slipping anonymous notes under the office door of the CEO after hours due to her unapproachable manner. When the note slipping became a reasonable way for people to let the CEO know that there were issues to address the method was considered a brave way to let the CEO know of office issues. The issues had been addressed e.g. “I can’t do my time sheet from home”, “The free fruit needs more variety”, and “the water fountains are too far from my desk.” None of these are real LLNS issues though they had been treated as such. The solutions should have been; Do your time log in the office, bring in your own fruit, and take some of the free water bottles we provide and keep a few at your desk. Instead the CEO opted to spend money from a budget – from which she often commented that the agency didn’t have – by getting laptops for all staff members, adding variety to the free fruit, and adding water cooler systems. Glad to see the suggestions had been addressed, but can you maintain a substantial client base or lower your employee turn over rate? This may also be a contribution to Sharon’s rating of 20%.

All signs are pointing to a merger of sorts, more so than what they have already done with Unified®. When this happens I hope that the Omnicom® powers that be take a good look at the staffing and business development of this agency. I however will not be here to see it unfold.

Advice to Management

Clean house, know your client or close your doors. The way you operate is not in the best interests for any of the parties involved.

"Quick Turnaround of Employees"

Former Employee - Middle Management
    Former Employee - Middle Management

I worked at LLNS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rewarding work and the feeling of being part of something bigger than yourself. Particularly the openness of the management to share information with lesser members of their teams. It feels good when management talks to you as a peer, and not as unimportant.

Cons

Benefits were rather expensive. Turnaround would happen for the smallest infractions. No discussion, just here one day and gone the next. It was almost necessary to hold your breath when upper management would visit on-site teams.

Advice to Management

Avoid interdepartmental gossiping. Envision a person's potential over the course of time and not be so quick to relieve them of their livelihood before they have had the time to embrace what's expected of them, and the ability to implement these guidelines into their business day. Better training would also be of great benefit. Try to avoid the "here's your desk, go to work now". Not the best scenario for success. More so a recipe for failure. Very disappointing.

"Change is in the Air"

Pros

CEO has taken a tight hold of the reigns and is committed to making positive changes. It's still very early, but it feels like things are going to start changing for the better.

Cons

The office space needs to be redesigned to encourage building a strong culture.

"a joke"

I have been working at LLNS full-time

Pros

there are a few good people left

Cons

Don't believe the bogus review the CEO just posted about herself. Taking control of the reigns? Change is in the air? Whatever. Maybe she honestly believes this from her glass tower corner office? The amount of useless, over priced, senior women she has hired is ridiculous. It's a wonder they haven't closed the doors yet.

Advice to Management

Just give it up already.

"I felt totally Unappreciated!"

I worked at LLNS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bagel Fridays, Fresh Fruit and a few good people!

Cons

No Raises! Senior management doesn't have a clue. The culture was Brown Nosing!

"Irresponsible Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at LLNS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bagel Fridays and the hard worker who orchestrates them every week
    Decent benefits
    The building is great to walk into (though the office space is odd and often dark)
    The "lower level" staff (ie, studio, art, project managers, young account people, writers) were often smart.
    One supervisor was greatly loved and respected and served drinks on Friday.
    LLNS mgmt. sometimes had a flair-brought in wine & cookies.

Cons

The highest-level management does not have a clue re: which employees work, are value-added, understand content.

Do not trust either Sharon (CEO) or Janet (President) tho Janet very occasionally reveals she has a heart. BOTH lied to employees and BOTH blamed the wrong people as the firm lost account after account. Those all-company meetings became more and more depressing - it takes a toll on a person to sit and know you are being lied to.

Instead of looking at the VPs and SVPs who were ignorant about the disease or brand, Janet and Sharon pretended those mean, ignorant, arrogant VPs (sheer fluff) were solid and that the general staff (writers, art, editorial, the shop) were the problem. Wrong! Even a client noted that one of Sharon/Janet’s darling new hire SVPs (or VP—who can keep track) spoke in a monotone. Like other of the vps, he did not help the team, did not take notes at meetings, kept asking what this or that was, did not pass on important info from the client to the team.

The new creative director who was supposed to save things and was chosen by Sharon and put on the same level as Janet. Whatever. He was a decent enough person but didn’t have a strong background in pharmaceutical advertising and brought in his people. Like him they were glib but not real workers. LLNS is too small for that. He didn’t pull in new work. Their one big launch was creatively directed by a freelancer - who was good/strong. The current creative team would do better at a really big agency which had room for a emcee kind of person.

The VPS and SVPs were well-paid, as happens in the pyramid scheme that the Omnicom network is. The actual workers were told no raises. One very talented, art person was finally allowed to add “senior” to their title and was given a $1000 raise. S & J should be ashamed.

The choices (made by the creative director, and CEO and President) were boring and the campaign uninteresting.

Advice to Management

What's the use of offering advice? It's been offered again and again here and on the in house surveys.