LRN Reviews | Glassdoor

LRN Chairman and CEO Dov L. Seidman
Dov L. Seidman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • After all, we are self-governing (in 14 reviews)

• LRN says it is a flat organization (in 12 reviews)

""Thanksgiving Thoughts" on working at LRN"

Current Employee - Counsel in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Counsel in New York, NY

I have been working at LRN full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to use your talents in the service of a laudable mission, and to have some fun, too

Cons

Not really a "con" but an observation: we are still working to perfect that proverbial "perfect union", and have made, during my six-year tenure, very substantial progress toward that end

Advice to Management

On this Thanksgiving Eve, I reflect (but doubtless not nearly enough) on the many things for which I should be profoundly thankful: a loving family; (relatively) good health; the unimpaired use of all of my faculties (most of the time! 😊); the cultural and social stimulations of working in New York City; and many other unmixed blessings.

Among those blessings, I count my employment at LRN.

I have been working at LRN for almost six years, at its New York City offices near Central Park.

Over that time, I have witnessed LRN not only aspire to make great progress - but take concrete, effective steps to achieve that progress - in both the appeal and innovativeness of the governance, culture, and ethics & compliance solutions it offers to Fortune 1000 companies in the U.S. and abroad, but also in its own internal culture, management effectiveness, and attainment of business goals.

As an unabashedly mission-driven organization, LRN seeks to contribute to making the world a better place by offering insights and solutions on how organizations can elevate the behaviors of employees at all levels and, by so doing, improve the cultures, levels of constructive employee engagement, "durable competitive advantage" (in Warren Buffett's memorable phrase), and regulatory compliance of those organizations.

LRN is not for everyone. The standard is high, as it should and must be for an organization with the mission, and correspondingly ambitious goals for growth and enhanced reach, which LRN sets for itself.

But the standard, though high, is attainable - as demonstrated by the many colleagues who have more than five, ten, and even twenty years of continuous service to LRN.

In my experience, well-rounded, intellectually curious, and energetic self-starters - of all ages - who embrace the Company's mission and who can and do "think for themselves" are most likely to thrive in the Company's fast-paced and dynamic environment.

Having said that, LRN recognizes - better than most companies for which I have worked - that achieving ambitious organizational goals is a "collaborative art," and particularly values individuals who can not only make substantial individual contributions within their respective spheres, but who can also provide assistance and mentoring to others, in intersecting spheres. Being a "force multiplier" is especially valued at LRN, as it is elsewhere.

We also believe that "work should be fun" - and I can honestly say that, given the sorts of accomplished, rounded, and committed individuals LRN tends to attract - my "fun quotient" has been higher at LRN than in any of my prior professional roles (at a large NYC law firm, a college, and a museum.)

For example, only a few weeks ago, LRN invited New York Times columnist Tom Friedman to offer his thoughts on the various social, technological, political, and geopolitical forces that are rapidly shaping, and transforming, modern life. It was a stimulating and provocative evening, and fully resonated with the sorts of issues LRN confronts in its own work.

So if you find any of this intriguing and are looking to make a change in your own career journey, please connect up with us and see whether LRN may be right for you, too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

"LRN is Gaining Momentum"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at LRN full-time

Pros

Our mission to “Inspire Principle Performance” is a mission that is as lofty as it is worthwhile.

LRN has a real opportunity to grow its business with hard work and focus. Individuals that are self-starters and are driven have the chance to take on as much real and meaningful work as they can handle and make a real impact on the business.

LRN is going through a revitalization of its ethics and compliance education business. We are committed to improving itself in all areas: content, technology, sales, marketing, support, etc. It is hard work, but we are seeing tangible positive impacts on our colleagues’ experience here and on specific business metrics. Employee retention is at a high point. Content and technology is being created at a more rapid rate than in the past. Sales are increasing. All of this, and more, have helped LRN to achieve its mission while at the same time improving our colleague’s work-lives (and business success has certainly helped most colleagues financially as well).

While no place is perfect and each has its own limitations, our mission is of the highest import and our business is on a very good path.

Cons

Like any organization, we are not perfect. Striving to be self-governing requires effort and energy, though the promise of the effect is transformational.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your colleagues and don't sweat the small stuff.

"finding a shared work-life ethos"

Current Employee - Colleague in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Colleague in New York, NY

I have been working at LRN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve been with LRN under the “new guard” for more than two years, and in this time, I’ve seen tremendous growth in the sales, platform product, and course content initiative. Being part of a positive trend is as fulfilling as it is challenging.
    But just like any place else I’ve worked, hard work pays off.

True, there is an unconventional ethos at LRN, where we aspire to be self-governing, but I find that if you show up as your best self and work in concert with others, you will not find it all that different. It really is a “mission with a business.” In that regard, it’s “mission-critical” here to be accountable to yourself and others. Isn’t that a good thing?

Though there’s not a traditional organizational structure, there is leadership and support. In this regard, you don’t have to carry a certain title of a certain weight to make a difference or make decisions; you are personally empowered. To me, it’s actually quite liberating to not have to ask permission to try something new. You might just try it, test the experience, and discover a better way forward. Or, maybe it doesn’t work, but if you’ve done your homework, if you’ve enlisted support from your colleagues, and if you tried your best, you get back up and try again, maybe with fresh energy. If you have the mindset for this type of environment, chances are you can be successful here.

That being said, if you are uncomfortable with asking questions, seeking out advice, and being proactively in charge of yourself, LRN may not be for you. Some people like a lot of formal authority. That’s fine. Here, we stress an ethical approach: what is the right thing to do? With this simple framework for self-inquiry and decision-making, it’s really not that hard to get things done, and done the right way. You may be asked from time to time if your acted with this notion of moral authority at the center of your ethos. If you have, that’s not a tough position to speak to. What is tough is justifying unethical behavior. You will get some honest feedback. If you are open, it will be a learning experience that will help you be better at work and carry over into other aspects of your life.

Working at LRN for me coincides with what I hope continues to be a great awakening and conscious-raising here in the United States. I wasn’t quite sure what I would find here, but I can say I try to bring an ethical practice to every aspect of my life. I’m not perfect, but I’m learning and growing. LRN supports me on this journey.

Cons

Decision-making can be slow when others don't understand why processes can be long --share more

Advice to Management

Be clear, be mindful of perceptions (this is improving)

"The LRN Experience – My Truth"

I have been working at LRN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you’re reading these posts because you are thinking of a career with LRN, I hope that sharing my experience and my observations will be helpful to you.

There is a lot to be said about being part of an organization dedicated to helping companies and their people operate in principled, ethical ways. Both individual employees and the organization as a whole are held to a higher standard, as they should be. Of course, neither are perfect. However, during my tenure at LRN, I have had the opportunity to speak with ethics and compliance executives at hundreds of companies who are seeking a partner to help them create and enable a corporate culture where their people understand that trust, values and ethical behavior lie at the heart of a sustainable business. It’s an important decision, and they have many choices. It is always a privilege when they select LRN as the company to help them do that. It is then our responsibility to lead with our values and principles and support them with an exemplary standard to continue to earn their trust.

Over the past 22 years, LRN has achieved a deep connection and partnership with many of our clients. This has given us the opportunity to do creative, innovative, important work and has created a need for accountable, creative, and innovative colleagues.

I accepted a position at LRN 16 years ago today. Like many before me and after me, I was inspired to join a company that was mission-driven and people who are committed to making society better by helping people understand how to do things the right way. I have had the privilege to work with some of the smartest, experienced professionals in the industry. Hard-working, caring people who support each other and go out of their way to make new colleagues feel welcome.

For me it has been an environment that has encouraged and challenged me and allowed me to grow personally and professionally. It has not always been easy, and I have not always agreed with decisions that we have made as an organization. But I have always been encouraged to voice my dissenting views. When I have done so, I feel that I have been heard and that my opinion has been respected.

Full participation in this type of open culture requires the ability not only to speak out and hold yourself and others accountable, but also to be willing to give and get candid feedback. If you’re not used to it, it can be uncomfortable, but it becomes easier when you think of feedback not as positive or negative but as truthful.

We have a capable, caring group of people on our governance council who are applying rigor, accountability, and transparency in setting the direction of LRN. There is a focus on diversity, inclusion and career paths. We have a sales organization that is collaborative, eager to help each other succeed and committed to do what is right for our partners and prospects. We’re making a big investment in innovation, technology and our support teams. We are welcoming many new companies into our partner community who have been referred by existing clients, and our year-over-year renewal rate is increasing. Companies who left us for other providers are returning to our partner community. It’s a great time to be at LRN.

I need to say a few things about our CEO since almost all of the posts on this site mention him. It’s true I don’t work out of the New York office, but I have worked very closely with him for 16 years, and I believe I know him well. He’s incredibly smart, demanding, with a strong moral compass and very high standards for himself, the company, and the people around him. He wants us to be our best selves and LRN to be the best company. He does encourage and participate fully in the notion of real-time, honest feedback which can at times feel intense. He knows he is not perfect, and he encourages all of us to give him truthful feedback as well, either real-time and/or in performance reviews. He cares about our partners and our employees, and I’ve experienced and observed some incredible acts of kindness on his part. He truly wants LRN to make a difference in the world.

Cons

I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the turn-over LRN has experienced. LRN attracts smart, committed, dedicated professionals. When they leave, not only is it sad on a personal level, but it also drains institutional knowledge that is hard to replace. I have developed some deep friendships with people I have met at LRN. Some have left, but they have acknowledged that their experience at LRN made them better. Some have actually returned to LRN. I was at a team meeting recently where the collective tenure of the 13 participants was almost 100 years—that speaks volumes about a young company.

The lack of an organizational chart and titles can be challenging for some, and it can be a difficult place to work for individuals who need structure.
    LRN, like most companies, is a very lean organization which results in many of our colleagues working long hours. If you are seeking a 40-hour work week, LRN might not be for you.

We have high standards and aspirational goals. Sometimes we make mistakes, but we work on self-reflection which allows us to identify and address those flaws. You need to be willing to be an active participant in the culture.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage and embrace open communication throughout the organization and listen and act on the feedback you receive.

For all of my colleagues: continue to speak up, collaborate, celebrate our successes, hold ourselves and each other accountable when we veer off course, and most importantly, let’s be proud of what we’re doing.

"Intern at LRN!!"

Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at LRN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, good energy. Very nice people, not like every other environment, no one is above you. All at the a same level. It is on 5th Ave!!

Cons

Only 6 month contract, I don't want to leave. They need to hire permanent Desktop Support Technicians.

Advice to Management

Keep everything how it is and help more companies do the same.

"Not for the timid."

Former Employee - Geek in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Geek in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LRN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A whirlpool of learning opportunity.

Cons

It's a lifestyle - they just need to not run over themselves.

Advice to Management

Listen

"Bringing Your Best Self Matters"

I have been working at LRN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Without discounting some of the experiences some employees have had, I want to note that withholding judgement is a lost art in our culture. If you choose to work in a non-traditional environment, you really have to keep your mind open for a while and settle in before summing up the place. Non-traditional workplaces also evolve more consistently than other types of organizations; that doesn't mean there is no goalpost. That said, LRN offers its employees the ability to be self-accountable, creative, and innovative. I've worked at a wide variety of places in a number of fields, and I've never experienced this level of trust and freedom anywhere. After many years as an adult in the non-work world, I am finally viewed as a grown-up within my own workplace. How refreshing. With that trust and freedom comes a responsibility to deal with your own internal motivators and the lack of an overt external rewards system. I think people should really consider that carefully because it will color your day-to-day experiences. Are you really someone who wants to rely on yourself to bring your best self to your work each day? Will you continue to be excited to use your skills and work hard if you are for the most part your own "boss," and therefore it may feel like no one is patting you on the back (though good work at LRN definitely does not go unnoticed)? If so, you will likely be quite happy at LRN. This is not to imply that people who have had negative experiences are lazy or not motivated—to flip it: some people are fully accustomed to highly structured environments with external rewards and are happy with that, and some are not. The rewards of being at LRN are weaved in to the day-to-day experiences of working with outstanding, intelligent, and morally conscious people; being able to draw a clear line between what you do and how it has benefited the company as a whole without someone "holding it over your head;" having room to grow and utilize your skills in ways that might fall outside the lines of your day-to-day work, as well as explore new skills; and, being valued holistically as a human, as opposed to being just a worker who is good/bad at their job. These rewards and others are your own if they are meaningful to you. Still, LRN also offers great "traditional" professional development opportunities, compensation incentives, and an outstanding benefit package. As a prospective employee, it is also important to look carefully at the mission and philosophy of LRN and understand and respect that it is actually alive within the company. Does the company mission resonate with you? If not, it is not the best opportunity for you. I have personally felt inspired that there is much more than lip service given to LRN's mission. I would also like to add there is a friendliness and joyfulness at LRN that I have not experienced elsewhere. Like every other work environment, it is not pure perfection, but there is a tangible "can do" vibe that comes from a positive place of caring, rather than a negative fear of retribution or loss.

Cons

Not everyone is wired to be self-driven and accountable; or, sometimes it takes time to learn how to be when given the opportunity. This can create a sense of imbalance with regard to who is "working hard" and who isn't.

Advice to Management

The focus on the positive is great, and operational changes are really having an impact. With so many super smart, quick-thinking people on board, the promotion of active listening as a day-to-day practice during collaborative efforts might be beneficial.

"A Wonderful Place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at LRN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees at LRN are fabulous. Never have I met such a dedicated group of people who not only are very serious in their work, but maintain a sense of compassion, humility and warmth that I have never experienced. The workplace is open and conducive to sharing different opinions, which is very important .is a company is to grow and be successful.

Cons

There are some very long hours, but it is definitely worth it

Advice to Management

Keep the momentum going. Things are only getting better!

"Passion and growth while working for a meaningful purpose"

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at LRN (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Opportunities to innovate and take leadership
    - Smart and friendly colleagues
    - Collaborative environment
    - Inspiring leaders
    - Trust is extended
    - Transparency

Cons

- Some organizational difficulties in adapting to change
    - Onboarding process can be improved
    - Career path needs to be clearer for most employees

Advice to Management

Do not be discouraged by opportunistic and disloyal employees. Trust and empower passionate colleagues. Be optimistic. You have great people, outstanding products and a unique organization.

LRN Response

Oct 21, 2016 – Company Response

Thank you for this balanced review. The pros reflect areas where we've been intentional in setting a different kind of tone which is designed to be empowering. Having gathered very talented people... More

"A Unique Company with Unique culture and leadership"

Former Employee - Director Technology in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director Technology in New York, NY

I worked at LRN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you decide to work for LRN, please note that this company innovates in area of culture, governance and leadership. The way Apple innovates in the consumer computing & smartphone industry, the way IBM started from Tabulator to giant computing and software to enable businesses. LRN has been doing the same from past 22 years, they innovated from educating millions of people on compliance to the core issues for organizations, which is Culture, Governance and leadership. They discovered that if organizations have this three things correct, rest will fall in right place, the question is HOW do you do that. Similar to any other company, they research and implement the innovative ideas on culture, governance and leadership within LRN. As a part of the exercise they try to do things differently compare to traditional organization and management style, having a flat structure , self-governing , build transparency , participation in decision making process , open meetings (key ones) etc. This is what positions LRN differently and challenging for many of them who are coming from traditional organization and management style. Let me give you an example, you being senior person may experience that your juniors are able to share an idea or question your decision in an open forum, and they become the hero of the moment, I have seen that not everyone can take that in positive spirit, interestingly few blow their frustration on sites like Glassdoor again and again (many are repeated). LRN given immense opportunity for one to grow, it provides platform through their flat and self-governing culture to show your talent and skills without following through the ladder.

Bottom-line, LRN has been doing this for past 22 years, their success speaks by itself by standing tall in the industry and came out healthy from recent US recession. You will be surprised with all the reviews here, as it was the same CEO since the inception of the company who built LRN and has gone through many ups and downs while still marching forward.

Cons

consider all above which can turned out "cons" for you

Advice to Management

LRN always had highly talented people and it is your real assets, stabilize the team. Identify passionate & hard working people, getting your work done, reward them and build sustainable future for them. LRN has highly innovative products and service offerings, keep the focus on sales, think of different platform for sales in the era of e-commerce.

LRN Response

Oct 21, 2016 – Company Response

Thank you for sharing your perspectives - and for dedicating so many years of your career to contributing to LRN's mission. Your comments honor the ongoing experiment that is LRN's flat and... More