LRN Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
LRN Chairman and CEO Dov L. Seidman
Dov L. Seidman

Pros
  • Work from home facility is rocking (few employees abuse it though) (in 11 reviews)

• Good work life balance, Friendly colleagues, Flat Culture (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • flat, self governing structure can at times create role confusion (in 12 reviews)

• LRN says it is a flat organization (in 11 reviews)

"Not for the timid."

Former Employee - Geek in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Geek in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LRN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A whirlpool of learning opportunity.

Cons

It's a lifestyle - they just need to not run over themselves.

Advice to Management

Listen

"Bringing Your Best Self Matters"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at LRN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Without discounting some of the experiences some employees have had, I want to note that withholding judgement is a lost art in our culture. If you choose to work in a non-traditional environment, you really have to keep your mind open for a while and settle in before summing up the place. Non-traditional workplaces also evolve more consistently than other types of organizations; that doesn't mean there is no goalpost. That said, LRN offers its employees the ability to be self-accountable, creative, and innovative. I've worked at a wide variety of places in a number of fields, and I've never experienced this level of trust and freedom anywhere. After many years as an adult in the non-work world, I am finally viewed as a grown-up within my own workplace. How refreshing. With that trust and freedom comes a responsibility to deal with your own internal motivators and the lack of an overt external rewards system. I think people should really consider that carefully because it will color your day-to-day experiences. Are you really someone who wants to rely on yourself to bring your best self to your work each day? Will you continue to be excited to use your skills and work hard if you are for the most part your own "boss," and therefore it may feel like no one is patting you on the back (though good work at LRN definitely does not go unnoticed)? If so, you will likely be quite happy at LRN. This is not to imply that people who have had negative experiences are lazy or not motivated—to flip it: some people are fully accustomed to highly structured environments with external rewards and are happy with that, and some are not. The rewards of being at LRN are weaved in to the day-to-day experiences of working with outstanding, intelligent, and morally conscious people; being able to draw a clear line between what you do and how it has benefited the company as a whole without someone "holding it over your head;" having room to grow and utilize your skills in ways that might fall outside the lines of your day-to-day work, as well as explore new skills; and, being valued holistically as a human, as opposed to being just a worker who is good/bad at their job. These rewards and others are your own if they are meaningful to you. Still, LRN also offers great "traditional" professional development opportunities, compensation incentives, and an outstanding benefit package. As a prospective employee, it is also important to look carefully at the mission and philosophy of LRN and understand and respect that it is actually alive within the company. Does the company mission resonate with you? If not, it is not the best opportunity for you. I have personally felt inspired that there is much more than lip service given to LRN's mission. I would also like to add there is a friendliness and joyfulness at LRN that I have not experienced elsewhere. Like every other work environment, it is not pure perfection, but there is a tangible "can do" vibe that comes from a positive place of caring, rather than a negative fear of retribution or loss.

Cons

Not everyone is wired to be self-driven and accountable; or, sometimes it takes time to learn how to be when given the opportunity. This can create a sense of imbalance with regard to who is "working hard" and who isn't.

Advice to Management

The focus on the positive is great, and operational changes are really having an impact. With so many super smart, quick-thinking people on board, the promotion of active listening as a day-to-day practice during collaborative efforts might be beneficial.

"A Wonderful Place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at LRN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees at LRN are fabulous. Never have I met such a dedicated group of people who not only are very serious in their work, but maintain a sense of compassion, humility and warmth that I have never experienced. The workplace is open and conducive to sharing different opinions, which is very important .is a company is to grow and be successful.

Cons

There are some very long hours, but it is definitely worth it

Advice to Management

Keep the momentum going. Things are only getting better!

"Passion and growth while working for a meaningful purpose"

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at LRN (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Opportunities to innovate and take leadership
    - Smart and friendly colleagues
    - Collaborative environment
    - Inspiring leaders
    - Trust is extended
    - Transparency

Cons

- Some organizational difficulties in adapting to change
    - Onboarding process can be improved
    - Career path needs to be clearer for most employees

Advice to Management

Do not be discouraged by opportunistic and disloyal employees. Trust and empower passionate colleagues. Be optimistic. You have great people, outstanding products and a unique organization.

LRN Response

Oct 21, 2016 – Company Response

Thank you for this balanced review. The pros reflect areas where we've been intentional in setting a different kind of tone which is designed to be empowering. Having gathered very talented people ... More

"A Unique Company with Unique culture and leadership"

Former Employee - Director Technology in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director Technology in New York, NY

I worked at LRN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you decide to work for LRN, please note that this company innovates in area of culture, governance and leadership. The way Apple innovates in the consumer computing & smartphone industry, the way IBM started from Tabulator to giant computing and software to enable businesses. LRN has been doing the same from past 22 years, they innovated from educating millions of people on compliance to the core issues for organizations, which is Culture, Governance and leadership. They discovered that if organizations have this three things correct, rest will fall in right place, the question is HOW do you do that. Similar to any other company, they research and implement the innovative ideas on culture, governance and leadership within LRN. As a part of the exercise they try to do things differently compare to traditional organization and management style, having a flat structure , self-governing , build transparency , participation in decision making process , open meetings (key ones) etc. This is what positions LRN differently and challenging for many of them who are coming from traditional organization and management style. Let me give you an example, you being senior person may experience that your juniors are able to share an idea or question your decision in an open forum, and they become the hero of the moment, I have seen that not everyone can take that in positive spirit, interestingly few blow their frustration on sites like Glassdoor again and again (many are repeated). LRN given immense opportunity for one to grow, it provides platform through their flat and self-governing culture to show your talent and skills without following through the ladder.

Bottom-line, LRN has been doing this for past 22 years, their success speaks by itself by standing tall in the industry and came out healthy from recent US recession. You will be surprised with all the reviews here, as it was the same CEO since the inception of the company who built LRN and has gone through many ups and downs while still marching forward.

Cons

consider all above which can turned out "cons" for you

Advice to Management

LRN always had highly talented people and it is your real assets, stabilize the team. Identify passionate & hard working people, getting your work done, reward them and build sustainable future for them. LRN has highly innovative products and service offerings, keep the focus on sales, think of different platform for sales in the era of e-commerce.

LRN Response

Oct 21, 2016 – Company Response

Thank you for sharing your perspectives - and for dedicating so many years of your career to contributing to LRN's mission. Your comments honor the ongoing experiment that is LRN's flat and ... More

"Think You're Good At What You Do? Find Out Just How Good You Are."

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

Pros

Work with a collection of some of the smartest, most passionate, and mission driven people you'll ever meet. Great opportunity to become a leader and support an important cause.

Cons

A bit of a learning curve for new hires to adapt, but after a few weeks, things really start to click

"Be yourself, work hard, find success"

Current Employee - Colleague in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Colleague in New York, NY

I have been working at LRN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As I continue along my career path, I find it to be incredibly valuable to engage in the kind of work that I enjoy, that I’m good at, and that I find rewarding. When that work is toward something that improves the world we live in, even better. Working with like-minded people? Better still. Ultimately, what I’ve found here at LRN is that I’m both empowered and trusted to do my work with the full confidence of the leadership. It helps me stay focused, keeps me optimistic, and fuels my creativity.

The flat-aspirational structure at LRN is not perfect, but if you have an entrepreneurial work style and are able to execute your work without micromanaging and with a strong ethical compass, you will do well. No one is looking over your shoulder; the assumption is that you are capable and that you are a grown up. In other words, it’s not the kind of place where you’re going to be coddled, so if you like or expect hand-holding, LRN may not be right for you.

As others have mentioned, the NYC office has experienced high turnover. One perspective is that there was a talent gap that is in the process of being rectified. Over the past few months, I’ve seen the water-cooler complainers and gossip mavens move along and several bright, energetic people join. Whether or not they come from a very similar workplace that happens to be the former workplace of the new president should be beside the point; professionals in sales, marketing, product, and strategy are here to add to the success of the team at LRN.

Though I’ve been with LRN for less than one year, I’ve never witnessed the behavior by the CEO that disgruntled former employees have flagged. I disagree with a recent review that the President only interacts with “his” people brought in from his recent former workplace. Want some 1:1 time? It’s easy—arrive before 9:30 and grab a coffee.

I’ve visited the LA office, and there I met colleagues who are hardworking, warm, and mature business professionals. Similarly, the field colleagues I interact with on a daily basis are effective, collaborative, and professional. With the latest new hires, both in NYC and abroad, I find the atmosphere enthusiastic and productive.

Bottom line: This is NYC. Successful people work hard and get things done. If that’s intimidating for you, or if you prefer gossip and speculation to output, perhaps you don’t have the appropriate mindset to be considered a keeper. I correlate the anonymous, negative reviewers found on this outlet with those who bash restaurants because the portions are too small.

Cons

I would be more productive if there was a work-from-home option. I understand that not everyone has a role that suits this flexible work style, but with an office that has field employees who work from home, allowing those of us in city centers with commutes the option to work from home and perhaps get an errand in before 8 pm would make for a happier workplace. After all, we are self-governing. Let's extend our mutual trust in this area.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the people who are getting the work done and ensure that they have a roadmap for their career future, including KPIs and appropriate compensation that is communicated expressly. Consider tools to help the staff work in concert in a flat structure; don't assume they can figure it out for themselves and always make the right choices for the health of the business.

"Office Manager/Receptionist"

Current Employee - Office Manager/Recepionist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Office Manager/Recepionist in New York, NY

I have been working at LRN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working for LRN since January and it has been such a blessing. LRN treats its employees with the utmost respect. Employees also enjoy free drinks and snacks, which saves everyone money! I work a very long day, but it is very gratifying knowing I work for such a great company. I love taking care of clients and my coworkers.

Cons

As with any company, everyone can improve with communication.

"Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at LRN (More than a year)

Pros

This incredibly exciting and positive collaborative atmosphere is in the midst of an exciting change that everyone at LRN can feel.

We are practicing what we preach and really "going for it" in 2015. Our flat leadership style leaves communication channels open for anyone in the organization to be heard.

Furthermore, I feel like I have quickly been accepted into the organization and we are continuing to build the cohesiveness of our outstanding team of professionals. While in my first few weeks at LRN, I made some technical mistakes. These experiences were utilized by leadership in the organization with which I work closely in order to create a very collaborative and constructive critical analysis.

Cons

The onboarding process is difficult. Sometimes, finding your way at LRN was difficult however with a "flat organization," this is entirely to be expected.

Advice to Management

Continue the successful effort you are making to be accessible to everyone in the organization.

"A Philosophy that the world needs"

Current Employee - Leader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at LRN full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

LRN is a company that is really trying to help companies become more successful and sustainable. They do this through a focus on culture and behavior, but blend that with a real focus on education and knowledge of legal and compliance issues. Inside the company, its a flat organization with lots of freedom for employees to get involved in lots of interesting work. Comfortable office space, flexible hours and work styles, and really great people across the company make it a very enjoyable place to work. The work is intellectually challenging and very rewarding. By and large the people that work there are very smart, very experienced, diverse and very welcoming.

Cons

The company has pursued "flat" and "self-governance" radically but has not yet addressed some of the issues created by a lack of hierarchy, specifically around decision making. Get that right and the company will really hum.

Advice to Management

Move to make decisions more quickly.