LRN Reviews in Westwood, CA | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
LRN Chairman and CEO Dov L. Seidman
Dov L. Seidman

Pros
  • Work from home facility is rocking (few employees abuse it though) (in 11 reviews)

• Good work life balance, Friendly colleagues, Flat Culture (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • flat, self governing structure can at times create role confusion (in 11 reviews)

• Seems to be a struggle for work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

"An inspirational company and with a bright future in improving Corporate Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA

Pros

-Employee Benefits
    -Fun culture
    - Inspirational Leadership

Cons

-Compensation
    - Lack of Career advancement opportunities
    - Do not hold company holiday events.

Advice to Management

I'd recommend offering employees clearly defined career paths so that they can make more money and stay with company.

"Wonderful colleagues"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA

I worked at LRN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met many wonderful people there that I am still friends with and who have helped me along in my career path. The mission of the company attracted smart, loyal and ethical people. Unfortunately, they couldn't keep many of them.

Cons

I worked there many years ago (before 2012 but that was the earliest option on the pulldown menu) and at that time the atmosphere was dysfunctional beyond belief. There was a 40% voluntary turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Don't sweat the small stuff.

"Sounded so great at first..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA

I worked at LRN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ping pong room (old office)
    Coffee machine
    Breakfast granola cereals and drinks in the fridge
    Nice looking office
    Lots of smart and talented people who ended falling for the same trap I did

Cons

At first this workplace felt like a utopia but very quickly all your hopes and dreams got crushed.
    Freedom to work from home and unlimited vacation turned out to be a complete myth. I could feel that some of my senior peers were not happy I took 2 weeks off work once since they haven't taken any vacation themselves (so they could boast about how hardworking they are), even though it was my second year on the job at the time. The most ridiculous part was when an email was sent out to everyone asking to share reasons as to why you need to take some time off or need to work from home "in the spirit of transparency". I was almost tempted to share that I have a rectal exam with the proctologist as my reasoning for the sake of transparency. Tearing down the org chart into a flat organization can work wonderfully but only with the right processes in place. This work environment has 0 guidelines, 0 processes and when you ask around on how to get something done, everyone gives you a different answer. They just throw you in the fire and you have to figure it out on your own which quickly creates a frustrating work environment. Some people there were bullies and enjoyed working there because they could get away with it, especially since an HR department was practically non existent. Also you can completely forget about career growth here since there is no management to recognize how hardworking you are. Raises are a myth and bonuses are extremely rare and very petty, but personally that's not a problem for me since I always believed in getting my own promotion by looking elsewhere. Everyone else like myself who is smart, self-confident and not scared to go back in the job market has done so and left for much better opportunities.

Advice to Management

This is not a true flat organization. Getting rid of middle management only created a greater divide between the executives and everyone else. The executives are completely shielded and clueless about the challenges in this work environment that everyone is going through. If you want a true flat organization that WORKS, do it the way Zappos did by implementing coordinators in between each and every group.

LRN Response

Oct 24, 2016 – Company Response

Thank you for providing this feedback - although some of it made for a tough read as it does not reflect the employee experience we strive for. The flat structure we have today isn't going to be ... More

"Mixed feelings..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA

Pros

I had the opportunity to work with fantastic people and for a while I felt that there was a great opportunity to change the world at LRN. The salary was good and took a lot of good ideals away with me.

Cons

Working at LRN felt like a whirlwind of negativity. There was a lot of indecision and it felt like the company was full throttle in Drive and Reverse at the same time, ultimately going no where. There are so many people who, some justified some not, had very strong feelings against upper management and create a toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

I feel like Dov is a fantastic speaker and writer and should focus on what he is good at. Unless he gets some training, I see a lot more "learning" in LRN's future. Get better executives who are better leaders and tone down the hypocritical behavior then employees will trust you more.

"LRN job seekers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA

Pros

The people make or rather should I say made that place, though most have left or been laid off. There was an atmosphere of collaboration within the different departments, and shared recognition of the big goals presented to us daily.

Cons

Lack of interest or knowledge and communication from the top to really get a sense of the working persons jobs and day to day problems.

Advice to Management

Find out what people do, and don't just try and please the number one.

"It should be "How Not"..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA

Pros

The LRN message is fantastic.
    The employees are smart, nice, and really good people.

Cons

LRN is the antithesis of what they preach. It is the worst corporate culture out there. There is absolutely no integrity, no respect, and no trust. The management asked employees to post positive messages here (back to integrity), which did inspire me to post. It is truly a case study on how not to drive a positive culture. Culture is talked about constantly, and employees have meetings on parts of Dov's book - no one wants to go to the meetings, no one wants to express their feelings, no one trusts management. Every employee wants out, many leave without finding a job. It is debilitating.

Advice to Management

Listen and trust your people. You are not always smarter than everyone else.