LTD Commodities Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Michael Hara

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Compared to other retail positions LTD offers a nice work life balance" (in 3 reviews)

• "Good job to have if you want flexible hours and are looking for something easy to do" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "must be exactly on time, pay is low, associates are not compensated for their work" (in 8 reviews)

• "Working conditions/building are poor" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Labor practice"

Current Employee - Loader in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Loader in Aurora, IL

Pros

Season last 4 month at whic time pay rate is higher

Cons

If your are not Hispanic no chance of promotion

Advice to Management

Retain good worker

"Security Officer"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Bannockburn, IL
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Bannockburn, IL

I worked at LTD Commodities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paid weekly, Good PTO, Employee Store, 401K, Annual pay increase, Co workers, other employee's.

Cons

Not always recognized for your work, some higher management was out of touch with the employee's.

Advice to Management

Unknown due to new ownership/management.

3. "Nice place to work"

I worked at LTD Commodities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

All of my years there have been very enjoyable. Some departments are better than others. Were very generous and treated employees well.

Cons

Communication could be a little better

"Buy Out - Restructure"

I worked at LTD Commodities full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employee's really care about the company.

Cons

Given the recent purchase of LTD, the family mentality of caring about employee's is no longer evident.

Advice to Management

While the NEW Management team stated they would observe the company/employee's before making any changes, it appears the observation was from a far distance. Many honest and devoted individuals were impacted by this change (majority of them were middle aged women). Change is inevitable, but at least walk the talk (do a thorough review) and then if you decide to make changes at least be upfront about it and provide a decent severance package.

"LTD Bannockburn"

I worked at LTD Commodities full-time

Pros

Celebration of holidays and employee birthdays with treats. Photography sets were nice to have. Being hourly meant I had a good work-life balance and always got to leave on time, but I was told before I quit that they were implementing mandatory OT for my department.

Cons

Management was clueless, deadlines were unreasonable and the work environment was unsafe. All of the sets were practically held together with chewing gum and tape. Warehouse was hot in the summer, cold in the winter. Little room for growth and very poor compensation/benefits. Extremely high turn over rate.

Advice to Management

You need to keep employees happy to actually keep employees.

"There's just too much to say."

I worked at LTD Commodities full-time

Pros

Resume builder
    Quick advancement is possible if you are liked
    Meet and work with some talented people, most likely make some very good friends if you stay for a while
    Can be very fun at times

Cons

Low compensation for most
    No raises based on merit or reviews
    If you stay for a little while, you will most likely be expected to do multiple positions worth of work, extra work, or the work of a job title that is above you, without any additional compensation for it
    Good employees get run down, bad get cut slack
    Sometimes wrongly promoted or fired
    Having a problem with a coworker? You're pretty much on your own
    Company that feels shady
    Can be incredibly stressful, and emotionally draining
    Communication is an absolute mess
    Filthy, unhealthy working conditions
    Temperature and air quality control does not exist

Advice to Management

You can’t build a business without a strong foundation, and in my opinion, the foundation of LTD is cracked and made from unsustainable materials. It seems it was built solely for quick profit, and has overlooked the consequences of not building for long term stability.

The higher ups at LTD were told over and over of the issues that needed resolving, issues that effected the people working hard in the back bone of the company on a daily basis, but were not willing to spend the money to fix them, even though it always appeared that there were plenty of funds. Even if there really were no funds, it took years before anyone deemed the issues worthy enough to even think of reallocating resources to solve a problem. (It always came down to money, and that was something they weren't willing to give up. But that never made sense to me - investing in your own company and employees is a benefit to you as a business owner to keep your company successful and profitable, so even if all you care about is profit, its still bad business to ignore the issues and hoard the money for yourself.) No one seemed to make any of the major concerns outside the higher ups circle a priority. They either did know and didn’t care, or plugged their ears and yelled so as not to hear about problems at all. Instead, they placed band-aids over the problems, attempted to mask the symptoms, and turned their heads away from things that need to be addressed. I rarely saw a CEO make an appearance, and when they did, they didn’t introduce themselves or ask our names. They didn't know who we were, and never seemed to care. As long as we kept working, and made them more money. They often were critical, downright rude, condescending, and demeaning. Some comments could've easily been labeled as workplace harassment. It seemed obvious that they saw us as dollar signs and nothing more.

If you work in the photo studio, though, you will gain a lot of experience shooting and styling a wide variety of products (albeit, cheap products that fall apart on you while you’re setting them up, or just don’t work altogether, which can make your job of trying to make them look good, and get as many shoots done a day as possible, a lot more difficult). If you stick around, you will befriend some really great talented hard working fun people. There are no merit raises however, so you better be strong-willed and intrinsically motivated. The thing that sucks is that all of these wonderfully talented and hard working people stick around because they genuinely care to do good work… the kind of people that are too nice and too giving to lash out and walk away. Unfortunately, good people in these types of situations get used. Instead of giving those people a bonus, the company takes the work that the slacking employees won’t do, and dumps it on the ones who they know will rise to the occasion. All that does is foster an environment where good people are turned into worse versions of themselves, getting more and more agitated to the point where they feel so disgruntled and so unappreciated that they just walk out. All the studio employees form a pretty tight bond, and thats half because of how great of people they are, and half because of what happens when you all are in the same, rapidly sinking, boat.

Great place to work if you want to learn a lot and make some great friendships. Awful place to work if you want a company that has integrity, or you want a place that you can have a promising future with. Safety inspectors, communication experts, and organizational psychologists would have a field day with this one.

Overall, LTD was one of the best learning experiences of my life, for good reasons, and for horrible reasons. I have some very fond memories working with some stellar caring and talented people, and other memories of crying while on the clock, and becoming so angry I wanted to scream and smash things, which is not like me. I began to not recognize myself. This place can change and suck the life out of you, if you're not careful. I know that I am one of many with these experiences. I learned a lot about myself, my craft, and what I want to look for in a company. I miss my coworkers dearly. I will never miss the company and they way we were treated. It is unfortunate, because if things were handled differently there, it could’ve been a long-term, dream job for a lot of us.

7. "Quality control inspector"

Former Employee - Inspector/Packer in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Inspector/Packer in Aurora, IL

I worked at LTD Commodities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

over time, affordable job schedule, three brakes, nice coworkers

Cons

Bad management, poor safety regulations and absurd pace work

"Company Review"

I have been working at LTD Commodities full-time

Pros

LTD is a excellent place to grow and develop your skills in your chosen field.

Cons

Not really any cons, other than you gain what you put into your work.

"Avoid this place at all costs"

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Bannockburn, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Bannockburn, IL

I have been working at LTD Commodities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None really. Look elsewhere to start your career. This place is not even worth it by any means. The company sees a bad review and has someone write a fake positive review to bump their poor ratings

Cons

Management and employee compensation. This company is headed downhill. Assistant buyers have such a high turnover rate because this place is so bad and there is not much room for growth. No entrepreneurship is encouraged at all...you try to go out of the box and you fail miserably, they’re stuck 50 years in the past. It’s not a fast paced environment, it’s just simply boring. Certain buyers/buyers in training have their head up managements behind all the time. Favoritism is definitely noticed throughout the office. If you’re not one of the favorites, good luck, they’ll try to run you out of the office. I’ve seen at least 7 people leave here in my first year, which goes to show why this place is failing

Advice to Management

Close the doors.

"Catalog Retail"

Current Employee - Buyer in Bannockburn, IL
    Current Employee - Buyer in Bannockburn, IL

I have been working at LTD Commodities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are a bright, driven individual, LTD is a good place to start and grow into a career.
    Compared to other retail positions LTD offers a nice work life balance.
    Training and workload are addressed on a personal level if you are willing to communicate and seek out the help that you need.
    There is a wealth of information once you learn how to find it.
    Ltd encourages entrepreneurship and creativity.

Cons

It is a fast paced retail environment and expectations may seem high if this is not what you’re looking for.