LUSH North America Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
LUSH North America CEO & President Mark Wolverton
Mark Wolverton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get an amazing 50% discount on Lush products (in 66 reviews)

• Great pay, great discount, company has a fun environment (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be kinda iffy (in 19 reviews)

• Upper Management can be a little more useful (in 29 reviews)

1. "I am always excited to go to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Omaha, NE

I have been working at LUSH North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

LUSH is a very upbeat company to work for! Paid vacation and sick leave even for part time hires!

Cons

Sometimes availability expectations are unrealistic but that's tre in most retail positions because they're open every day & night.

2. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LUSH North America (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great perks of 50% off and smells nice

Cons

long standing hours and sometimes weird customers because of downtown location

Advice to Management

get a security personnel for stores not in mall

3. "Awesome"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Phil Campbell, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Phil Campbell, AL

I worked at LUSH North America (More than a year)

Pros

Great products and people

Cons

None.. Wonderful place to work

Advice to Management

Keep Going!

4. "Senior Sales Ambassador"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Ambassador in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Ambassador in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at LUSH North America part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very transparent company. Amazing supportive co-workers and management. They really take the time to develop your skills. This company lives to promote from with in.

Cons

Hours can vary. I wish they paid a little more.

5. "Alright but high expectations for employees"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at LUSH North America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The coworkers are great and the employee discount is 50% off all products. Employees got a bonus based on hours worked if the store met its monthly goals.

Cons

I never felt like I was good enough and was always told I could do better even if I was meeting goals.

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees know when they did something good, dont just say what they can improve upon.

6. "Horrible management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at LUSH North America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The few pro's were the flexibility, discounts, and easy all black dress code.

Cons

The management at this Lush location was an absolute mess. Scheduling was based from favoritism, micromanaging on the sales floor (even in front of customers), and overall stress from being pushed to aggressively sell products to any man, woman or dog that walked in expecting to simply buy a Lush mask and go.

7. "A lot of work but fun"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at LUSH North America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great development and opportunity for growth, awesome discount

Cons

Very busy traffic, it's retail so your usual unhappy customer during the holidays

8. "Bad Management, Disorganized,"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate Less Than A Year in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate Less Than A Year in Bloomington, MN

I worked at LUSH North America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

coworkers were great, discount was great

Cons

So first shift went great, the gal I was buddied with was really attentive, and helpful and made everything easy to understand and didn't just leave me alone.
    second shift was Black Friday I was left alone in a section I wasn't trained in, and kept getting pulled aside sometimes while talking to a customer to be reprimanded for not forcefully engaging a customer in conversation so they buy more and shame you for being introverted. like were condescending about it. Was told they are supportive didn't feel supported at all. Also kept being snapped and or critiqued at the whole shift as I didn't yell loud and excited enough for a bath bomb demo.
    then the store closed for two weeks to move and didn't receive clear communication about scheduling or when the training for the new store was. So I reached out as I didn't see myself on the schedule and never got a response to it besides the dress code for training which I was not aware of. Then I got severely ill with an ovarian flare up thought it was appendicitis and was throwing up and had to go to urgent care and told them I couldn't make it to training and I could make it up. I was rudely snapped at, saying it wasn't possible and hope you have a doctor's note. Which I did send to them with a reminder that I had not been enrolled into ADP or the Hive yet, to which I got a response from the same dude who was a floor leader in charge of the manager's email for the store? being snipey and rude and saying he's confused and that I'm on the schedule turns out it was the wrong name and it was for hours I wasn't available for which they had no recollection of me communicating as I was never really asked what my availability was, I had said mornings in this case didn't work for me as I had other commitments and then demanded to know what those commitments were. Instead of being supporting and cooperative they were disrespectful or this floor leader who thought he was in a managerial position was to me. I was not able to get in touch with anyone else to speak to about this. Also I not being trained in the full store and only in gifts, bath and shower and then expected to sell in a section I was not trained in and the terrible disorganization and problems with respecting me was the last straw for me.

Advice to Management

fully train and spend more time doing so of seasonal hires, be more accommodating and cooperative and professional, organize better. back off with constant criticism and maybe more encouragement and let go of the pushy aggressive salesman tactic, respect your employees more instead of doing mass hires, hire less and train them fully.

"Stay away from this place"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lake Grove, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lake Grove, NY

I worked at LUSH North America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Do you like leaving your job covered in glitter and germs smelling like a pez dispenser?! Then come work at Lush! A place where you’re forced to talk trash after every customer interaction within earshot. A place where you’ll have no choice but to loudly discuss numbers every hour on the hour in front of customers. A place where you’ll be told to go home for arriving in a jacket with faux fur lining but your boss can wear a leather skirt. A place where you’ll be confined to a section featuring products that no one wants, only to be reprimanded by your boss for not selling enough product. And a place where you’ll be directed and encouraged to force products on customers (products they don’t need) for minimum wage! At Lush you’ll probably sell at least 200$ worth of product a shift only to see about 175$ as a paycheck for the entire month. Like being treated like a welcome mat? Like being made to feel inadequate and expendable?! Then LUSH is the place for you!

Cons

You’re selling products like bath bombs, body conditioners and fancy soaps that no one actually needs. About 85% of the people that come into this store are preteens with 10$ from Mommy and Daddy looking to buy a bath bomb. Rest assured your floor managers will watch you like a hawk and yell at you when that’s all the customer purchases. Be prepared to make people feel uncomfortable as their business model encourages that. Be prepared for customer complaints due to the fact that barely any products are packaged so the store smells like an 8 year old got into their grandmas perfume. Be prepared to be given one to two shifts a week only to be told it will downsize significantly due to the fact you’re not selling enough. How am I supposed to sell more if I am not allotted hours on the floor?! And if it isn’t clear already be prepared to feel that no matter what move you are making, that it’s the incorrect one. The Training was poorly constructed and unhelpful. All the company cares about is that the customer leaves with 3 products or more. They hide behind a facade of “fair trade” and “naturally sourced” “eco friendly” “vegan” products in an attempt to make themselves look better. Don’t let it fool you, this company cares not for those causes.

Advice to Management

Seasonal Hires should get a full training & be allowed to advertise all products in the store. As opposed to being limited to bath, shower and overpriced gift sets. The company claims they are trying to be “eco friendly” by not using packaging but it’s clearly because it is more cost efficient on their end. I was hired at the beginning of October, heard nothing from them until November, it took my managers a solid two weeks to put me in the system to get paid and to add insult to injury they still owe me bonus check money. The company claims “fair trade & fair wages” but that honestly just means minimum wage. I would regularly sell more product on the floor during my shifts than I took home at the end of the week. The group goals and group commissions are nonsense. It benefits no one other than the managers. There is no other reason as to why they’d push us to “make goal” so hard. My location was all about “putting more money back into the store” ... as a hard working employee working two jobs with bills to pay I’d much rather put the money into my pockets. I’d constantly get emails from my bosses saying “you need to buy your hours on the floor.” Who would ever want to work for a place like that?

10. "Sales Ambassador"

Former Employee - Sales Ambassador in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Ambassador in Paramus, NJ

I worked at LUSH North America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

room for growth
    great staff
    employee discount
    great cause

Cons

pay
    very aggressive selling required of sales staff

Advice to Management

Give more hours to current staff who need it before hiring more employees! And we work so hard to learn everything about this company and should be compensated more fairly for all the work we do.