LUSH North America Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
LUSH North America CEO & President Mark Wolverton
Mark Wolverton

Pros
  • with a 50% discount you would not believe how generous I look when I give presents (in 56 reviews)

• Great ethics, generous employee discount that makes you feel appreciated (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management can be a little more useful (in 27 reviews)

• They would also criticize the local store managers so much that it made the sales associates lose some respect for their store managers (in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Inclusive, supportive and fun!"

Pros

Everyone who works there, whether staff or management, is super kind, welcoming, and wonderfully educated about the LUSH mission, history, and products.

Cons

There is a lot of product knowledge to learn quickly, but there's always the reassurance that you will continue to learn it all better over time.

2. "Get ready for drama"

Current Employee - Sales Ambassador in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Ambassador in San Jose, CA

I have been working at LUSH North America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment
    Friendly Team Members
    Awesome product
    Awesome discount
    Great ethics
    Always getting new stuff to try
    Gratis
    Easy to get feedback that makes you become a better sales person

Cons

Passive aggressive management
    Employees have no respect and will talk behind your back and be nice to your face.
    You're guilted if you don't make bonus
    Cliquey and Easy to tell that you're not wanted.
    Have too learn so much PK in a short period of time to the point where you are shamed if you don't know it all.
    Extremely low minimum wage pay even though the company pretends like they pay us a living wage.

Advice to Management

My biggest thing is when customers say a manager is literally awful maybe don't keep giving them chances. Also don't pretend to be so ethical to your employees when we make no where near enough to live off of.

3. "Sales associate pros and cons"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at LUSH North America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-50% discount
    -Beautiful updated shop
    -Product knowledge
    -Consistent scheduled paid breaks
    -Rewarding customer interactions

Cons

I was initially really excited about this job but I found after a few months that it was not everything that I had hoped for. I feel that it is really important for there to be a positive environment for employees to want to move forward with a company and it just wasn't there for me. Lots of contradictions within the company vs actually working there. For example LUSH repeatedly states that they are all for letting people be themselves and really letting your true self shine yet on the sales floor it seems that it is really hard to form a genuine connection with customers because management or floor leaders are constantly watching your interactions and create a very uncomfortable environment where it is hard to feel natural and relaxed. It seems that high sales are attempted there by creating a workplace where the staff feels obligated to approach and re approach customers even if the customer has stated that they don't want help. The position is very sales driven but the employees do not get paid by the sale it is by the hour, and it seems like most employees try to push higher sales only because they are afraid that they are going to be put down or corrected by management. A lot of the people that work there created a very welcoming environment but there were just as many people that seemed to do the opposite. It seemed hard to form a genuine connection with some of the managers, like they are always trying to be super high energy and it just comes off as being disingenuous. If you are an outgoing person that is ok with pushing products on customers even when they don't want it then 100% this job is for you. But don't expect to work a single shift without a manager/floor leader (still not sure what the difference between the two is) delegating what your every move is. Also LUSH proudly stands for handmade cosmetics and grassroots efforts but if that is the case then why are they putting ingredients in the products that are known to cause harm to people.. a lot of customers have the perception that LUSH is "all natural " but in reality you will be hard pressed to find a product that is 100% natural or that has all organic ingredients. It seems like another company that is just trying to market themselves to be eco friendly because it is trendy and allows them to raise their prices. I know this is lengthy but these are things that I really wish I would have known before starting with the company and I hope it will be beneficial to someone reading.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like they are equals not like they are there for you just to talk down to and order around. If your employees are on edge and feel uncomfortable then that energy is going to transfer over to the customer.

5. "Floor Leader"

Current Employee - Floor Leader in Miami Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Floor Leader in Miami Beach, FL

I have been working at LUSH North America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, PTO, education, opportunities for growth. The company really trusts its staff which gives so much room for growth, development, improvement, and autonomy. They understand their people. They understand that people sometimes make mistakes and help you to correct things.

Cons

Like anywhere, management can sometimes be a little micromanagey, but seeing as Lush is very much a coaching culture, you're encouraged to give that feedback and talk it out and come to an understanding with your leaders.

Advice to Management

Keep on working hard, hiring amazing people, and living the ethics of the brand!

6. "My experience is great nice friendly staff, hours are flexible great job for students."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at LUSH North America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the pros to working at lush is the atmosphere is very light hearted and fun. Made great friends

Cons

The cons to working at lush are long 8 hour days, never any weekends off, miss out in a lot of family stuff.

7. "Fun Work Environment"

Current Employee - Floor Lead in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Floor Lead in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at LUSH North America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lush is a fun and fast paced work environment. The company pays well compared to other retailers, offers a great discount to employees, and has a bonus structure that can allow you to make bonus on a monthly basis. There are opportunities to grow into other roles within the company including promotions to management positions and "specialty roles" such as visual merchandiser and store operations specialist.

Cons

Lush has very high expectations for the level of customer service that it offers. Employees are asked to talk to customers in a way that is sometimes seen as pushy, annoying, or overbearing, yet it is what is expected by management. Most cons are derived from management within a specific shop however.

8. "Fun retail job for short-term"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Ambassador in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Ambassador in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at LUSH North America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great brand values (no animal testing, environmentally-conscious, charitable)
    - you end up working with a lot of awesome people
    - leave work smelling fantastic since you play with soaps, lotions, and bubbles all day
    - 50% discount

Cons

- not very green (SO much paperwork)
    - management isn't held accountable for anything
    - generally disorganized -- rules depend on who's managing the floor at the time
    - your compensation is disproportionate to the amount of work you do

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Sales Ambassador in Aventura, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Ambassador in Aventura, FL

I worked at LUSH North America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

50% off, that's about it.

Cons

- Silly titles to make you feel like you're doing something exceptional without getting compensated for it properly.
    - Unsanitary demos
    - Performing facials and foot services without qualifications on customers is questionable
    - Required to be pushy when customers don't need that type of shopping experience
    - bath bomb dust
    - No HR department, only a hotline to call

Before joining the team, I notified the MIT I'd like to work between above 20 hours up to 30. She wrote down my request but never mentioned anything. Once I started, I noticed I was only scheduled to work about 12 hours in a week! Are you kidding me? She told me that 30 hours in considered full-time within Lush's standards! Maybe that's livable in somewhere here, but definitely not down here in South Florida. The main reason why I left my previous job before joining Lush is the low hours with low pay. So coming to work and finding out that I'm only working 12-16 hours a week (close to 17 if I'm lucky) was a major slap in the face. I wasted the majority of my earnings on transportation getting to work than actually being able to earn something decent. Our MIT is a sweetheart, but the team sees that as a weakness and did things and said things as they pleased. One of the floor leaders was crazy and that's an understatement. When I found out one of the new hires left after me, she told it was because of the floor leader. AFTER LEAVING, the floor leader sent her unwarranted messages on Facebook. We're both glad we left, to say the least. I jumped shipped in time because the shop closed for some time for renovations, meaning the entire team had to temporarily transfer to other shops, which ultimately means they had to fight for decent hours with the other shop's employees. The new manager also left after we did and that was shocking honestly.

Advice to Management

Check your staff's attitudes and see how their approach is towards their own co-workers. Give your employees a livable wage with enough hours to earn something decent. It's unethical to require your employees to learn SO MUCH yet only work 4 hours in a single shift. It's simply disrespectful.

10. "Fun and Encouraging"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlantic City, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlantic City, NJ

I worked at LUSH North America part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, very fun and interactive, very supportive team

Cons

Minimal pay, constant change in schedule, late hours for inventory

"Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at LUSH North America part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great ethics, generous employee discount that makes you feel appreciated. Fun monthly competitions that would come with prizes/bonuses, which were often shared among the team and not individually, so it was healthy competition. Coworkers usually share the same ethics and are happy and enthusiastic at their job.

Cons

The regional managers were consistently horrible and everyone would dread their visits. They would come in from out of state with a know-it-all attitude and push terribly aggressive sales tactics on everyone, criticize everyone, and just have fake corporate attitudes that never translated to the reality of local stores. I worked at multiple locations and visits from upper management always caused drama and left everyone feeling drained and unappreciated. They would also criticize the local store managers so much that it made the sales associates lose some respect for their store managers. Seriously, this happened consistently across multiple retail locations and with various regional managers.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to respect local retail employees and managers. They also need to realize that each location is different and corporate sales theories do not always translate into local culture. Also, please hire and promote from within, it was very frustrating having new store managers brought in from outside when the sales associates were much more qualified and knowledgable.