LYRASIS Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Miller
1 Rating

1. "Change is going to come"

I have been working at LYRASIS full-time

Pros

I've worked for LYRASIS for almost 10 years and can honestly say the company is heading in a new direction. Whether that's good or bad remains to be seen....

Cons

If you're not from the library world, this experience will be eye-opening.

"Terrible Leadership & Horrible Morale"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LYRASIS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are able to work remotely and they have pretty good benefits. Helping the libraries is rewarding.

Cons

The CEO is not a good leader and isn't trusted by most employees and that sentiment of mistrust is evident in every department. Morale isn't good and they blame the employees instead of looking at themselves.

Advice to Management

CEO and senior leadership need to realize the poor morale is generated by poor leadership.

"Just when you think it can't get any worse..."

I have been working at LYRASIS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

management doesn't know what is going on or what should be happening so you don't have to work very hard

Cons

new CEO never took time to learn our business. he and his friend just wanted to do a merger and didn't care what happened to the LYRASIS members or employees. This place is so messed up, the other company refused to merge with us!

Advice to Management

Please quit so we can get a CEO that cares about the LYRASIS members!

"sinking ship"

Former Employee - Account Support in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Support in Washington, DC

I worked at LYRASIS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have promised employees a two year severance package in the event they go bankrupt.

Cons

The organization never pays their bills on time. We were continually told to lie to both members and vendors. This services company will eventually go the way of most of the others and will take their members money with them.

Advice to Management

maybe a class in ethical business practices is due?

6. "Library associations can be fun"

Former Employee - Senior IT Administrator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Administrator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at LYRASIS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back, very quiet. They let me learn a lot about how libraries operate. I learned a lot about certain applications and made some good friends there. The general tone in my department was laid-back and intense. The work time was pretty flexible, and telecommuting was an option.

Cons

Non-Profit-level salaries. Quarterly meetings where they rained doom and gloom. I probably worked more hours than they really wanted me to, but they had misguessed the amount of hours of work required, so the team was always either doing not so much or feverishly working.

Advice to Management

Set guidelines and refrain from criticising employees if they have done the best they can do.

7. "Lots of great things happening here"

I have been working at LYRASIS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A library organization that is staying on top of things. Lots of the staff work remotely and they accommodate family needs well. We have some new leadership in the organization due to retirements and it looks like we are continuing to grow. We are proud of our national recognition with foundations and library organizations, having staff connected to these agencies has been a great way for us to connect. Constantly trying to develop new ways to generate revenue is great since we are a non-profit and want to stay viable overtime.

Cons

Biggest negative is the home office in Mid Town Atlanta- dreary and hardly anyone working there anymore (due to remote hires) Staff are a bit cliquish with old work habits. "Change" is easier on the remote side of the organization.
    Communication across the organization is getting better, but still need to figure a better way to keep everyone in the loop to better help our members.

Advice to Management

Review policies and enforce consistently with all staff in Atlanta and remotely. Advertise promotion opportunities, I do not hear about an opportunity until the person is announced in their new role!

"Not a good experience-lack of direction and business experience"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at LYRASIS full-time

Pros

Nice people, relaxed environment, family friendly

Cons

Selling internally the need to change

Advice to Management

be more open to new ideas and external changes in the environment

9. "Fair to positive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LYRASIS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance, co-worker support, ability to speak up without worry of retaliation, benefits, tangible results of how we benefit our members/communities, everyone focused on one target- meet the members' needs, size and reserve$

Cons

Slow to no action with under performing senior manager(s), change happens too slow, overall a tough market to compete in as a third party and even harder with bringing new services to market but definitely heading in the right direction

Advice to Management

Make communications to staff and staff concerns as important as meeting members' needs to ensure a motivated staff that proactively engages members with a positive attitude. Affect change from the top down and bottom up by enlisting support from the rank and fie for new initiatives. Good job on turning around a company that merged at such a pivotal time for networks/consortia/libraries

10. "I like working at LYRASIS!"

Current Employee - Staff in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Staff in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LYRASIS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative work environment, opportunity for advancement, management team that values employee input, strong advocacy for libraries.

Cons

Library industry is changing rapidly, lots of changes, adjustments in field.

Advice to Management

Continued opportunity for advancement, growth and collaborative environment where the staff input is valued.

"Overall drudge and unsatisfying, not a place to stay if you can leave"

I worked at LYRASIS full-time

Pros

Benefits are good, life balance with plenty of time off. Of course there are some good people working there, but none stay because they are not inspired or challenged to do their best work.

Cons

Too many to list, but the biggest Con is the executive leader, so called CEO, who lacks any strategic vision or courage to actually lead. When I started I was hopefull for the opportunity to contribute to a non profit, but quickly learned it is a very passive-aggressive org and she/CEO never stays with a single priority for long. The nitpicking and micro management is unbelievably bad, literally every decision has to be approved by CEO, this is because she does not trust employees enough to delegate to them for their expertise.
    CEO keeps the entire staff in constant reaction mode - always chasing the last thing she heard or read someoEd say was a good idea.
    It is truely a sad place and running it for years this has been a collessal waste of library and tax payer resources.

Advice to Management

Clean sweep the exec staff and board and start over.