La Clinica de La Raza Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Jane Garcia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Executive Management Flawed, Experience Depends on Supervisor"

I have been working at La Clinica de La Raza full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most co-workers are pleasant and most are competent and committed. The organization does a lot of good in the Bay Area lower-income and disadvantaged communities.

Cons

Executive management overall is lacking and in some cases detrimental to the organization at its core. HR is definitely not on employees' side and one of the greatest obstacles to improvement. CFO makes flawed decisions. CEO is hardly present and doesn't seem to notice the company starting to crack.

Advice to Management

Question what you're told by upper management, stand up to bullying and BS, and stop viewing employees as the opposition.

2. "Medical Assistant II"

I worked at La Clinica de La Raza full-time

Pros

It's a non profit organization

Cons

No pay increase. Too many responsibilities that are not even part of your role andnp pay increase.

3. "Horrible place to work!!!!!"

I worked at La Clinica de La Raza full-time

Pros

You will find a small group of people that are good and pretend to not have a idea what management is doing , they'll do everything with a smile, tell tell you off with a smile , there so fake it's discusting.

Cons

I wanted to work here because I thought this place would help people but I left so disapointend , Horrible pay,horrible parking, many employees including providers have to pay for there parking!!!65 Dls a month , they over work you ,they will not be considerate of you at all ,but tell you everything with a fake smile, management is so funny there like robots ruthless but with a smile, endless your one of there elites they'll be sympathetic or pretend to care , I am not sure were all the money is going because there always trying to cut back on everything , there always under staffed , but they have so much going on there appointments are always far far out there ,all the departments are always so busy, there so stingy that they have employees use ,second hand supplys , all these savings , and were does it go???? it would just make me wonder All the time, were all that money is going? used desks ect, and the people that have been there the most are very territorial ,disrespectful, no one wants to teach you anything , no team work at all ,there unprofessional and I could go on on on, save yourself from this horrible place!!!!!! I'm glad I left!!!

Advice to Management

They don't pay good, they enslave people, it's a crappy place to work at, at least be nice, if you know that all of these people are being taken advantage change things , promote more team work , don't have favorite's, train your employees right.

4. "Please train your managers"

Current Employee - Health Educator I in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Health Educator I in Oakland, CA

I have been working at La Clinica de La Raza (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and providing direct services to the community but apart there's nothing else I can to the pros section. I'm just adding words to reach the 20 word minimum requirement.

Cons

Management, Communication, Office Ettiquette and management all around the company because the only thing managers do is create stress upon their employees.

Advice to Management

Go to trainings where you can learn how to manage a team.

5. "Great mission; needs better business leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at La Clinica de La Raza full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We do good work in the world by providing healthcare to people who really need it. I love our patients and the other staff.

Cons

We're worried about what losing Obamacare might mean for our patients and our clinic.

Advice to Management

Even though the organization is 40 years old or so and large it's still operated like a small volunteer grass-roots place. Those are good things, but there's a lot of turnover because salaries are low and the administrative people make it hard for us to work in the clinics.

6. "Slow but gradual steps taken towards IMPROVEMENT in many areas of the agency."

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at La Clinica de La Raza full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

FLEXIBILITY - Many staff have children & La Clinica values Families. Depending on your role & location, management tries hard to work w/each persons needs. SUPPORTIVE ENVIRONMENT depending, again, on location. You will learn a lot as the intent is to allow individuals to work to their maximum capacity. Some feel this can be overboard but in the end, the employee is benefiting from the wealth of experience. Some managers really try their best to build leaders within their control which allows for growth. For the most past, COMMITTED employees trying to serve their absolute BEST to the community at large.

Cons

Can be challenging at times. There are a lot of employees at La Clinica and some departments do not have enough management / leadership to assist with supervising an entire site. This leaves room for some employees to not work to full potential. Can be demoralizing and a greater challenge in the end. Like most health centers, too much work, not enough pay.

Advice to Management

Provide more leadership support to the leaders who are actually trying their best to manage their workforce. It takes a village to make big strides of change and without adequate support, it will remain a challenge for La Clinica to be at the forefront. Probably a good idea to reassess from the top down to ensure the individuals in the positions are the RIGHT fit. Continue to choose wisely and hire only experienced candidates.

7. "Lots of red tape but we do great work"

Current Employee - Health Educator II in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Health Educator II in Oakland, CA

I have been working at La Clinica de La Raza full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission, I love our patients. My personal supervisor tries hard to make employees feel valued. Good medical coverage, some education benefits

Cons

Any projects take eons to be approved by higher ups. Our clinic lacks basic things and is very unattractive. LC is a huge organization that is more focused on being safe than expanding and improving services

Advice to Management

Check in with the employees who do the day to day grind on the clinic floor, management seems out of touch with the reality.

8. "Case Manager"

I have been working at La Clinica de La Raza full-time

Pros

Great support from supervisors, good benefits, pay is competitive for sector, great work environment, respect for work/life balance.

Cons

Hours are fairly rigid/no opportunity work from home, but this is common and expected in healthcare.

9. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at La Clinica de La Raza full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

La Clinica is committed to the community and the diverse population we serve. I feel that work-life balance is encouraged and supported. The health benefits are really great/rich.

Cons

Since this is a non-profit, at times you need to be able to wear different hats and really be able to master the art of multi-tasking. Overall I believe that my experience here is very rewarding.

10. "Health Educator II"

Former Employee - Bilingual Health Educator II in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Bilingual Health Educator II in Oakland, CA

I worked at La Clinica de La Raza full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-school based setting so services are accessible
    -La Clinica is a recognized organization and lots of community and family buy in
    -providing empowerment models to youth in decision making
    -some sites have full support and good relationships with school administration and staff who help with parent teacher partnerships

Cons

-at the time-unclear supervisor roles (some turnover lead to people feeling overwhelmed)
    -school policies can be oppressive to population and working with them means having to support them
    -youth that are most in need often do not show due to poor retention efforts from the school

Advice to Management

more spanish speakers in supervisor roles.