La Fosse Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
La Fosse Associates Founder and CEO Simon La Fosse
Simon La Fosse

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Super supportive and ambitious environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really supportive culture - if you have an idea for something internally or want to change directions within the company they'll support you to do so. Worth noting that they're really supportive outside of work too if ever people are having personal difficulties. Culture is big on the agenda, but comes down to rewarding people for their work, supporting ambition, and generally being a nice place to work with nice people. Just got back from our company ski trip where they sent 130 of us to the slopes for a couple of days which was a great chance to bond with people from other teams etc. which always gets a bit harder as the company grows.
    The role can be hard at times - it's recruitment after all, but the commission scheme rewards good work, and the company recognises those going through trickier times and will offer additional training and support where they can - but asks for a good work ethic in return.
    Fantastic management at the top - really clued in to the business, and really open. The MD sits on the floor in an open-desk environment and will genuinely make the time for you and listen if you need it.

Cons

Company grew really quickly last year and with that there will always be changes which people need to adapt to. Having said that, all teething problems are are always addressed and rectified.

Advice to Management

Appreciate it'snot easy - keep it up! Look forward to more international expansions - they're an exciting opportunity for people in the business! :)

"Management need to take a step back"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at La Fosse Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great remuneration potential if you sit in the right seat (i.e, if you're given a lucrative market). Great energy in the office and friendly and supportive co-workers and managers.

Cons

La Fosse is not the company it was once sold to me as. It's still selling itself as a small 'culture' lead business, which is still partially true, however senior management are in a tricky position as the company is at a size where this culture and family feel is beginning to fade, regardless of the efforts they have made to retain it.

I noticed KPIs creeping in, which at the end of the day is understandable as it is a sales based job - but don't try to pretend that KPIs aren't in place, because they clearly are (morning stand-ups, whilst sounding like a good idea, were essentially a grilling of associates around the KPIs of their previous day)

I also felt coherent management was an issue throughout my time - My direct manager offered little to no support throughout my employment and I think this should be looked at on a company-wide scale as there are some instances of very poor management that I observed that no one was doing anything to rectify.

The end goal (buyout) is clearly the target here, and the obvious step up in KPIs and performance based appraisals is reflecting on that, be careful because people will (and are) leaving for places that treat their employees better.

Advice to Management

Your turn-over rate is growing (which will happen when a company puts so much pressure on new recruits) and I think this is reflecting badly on the company - For such a culture-lead firm I think you need to take a look at this.

Being a high-biller does not mean that person will be a good manager - this could really damage your business as highly talented people are joining under terrible management and are leaving after a very short amount of time.

to conclude: If you're going to sell the company based on it's culture then you need to make sure that the culture is that of a good one.

Jul 10, 2017 – CEO

" Thanks for taking the time to write this and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your brief time here as much as we both would have wanted . There is great remuneration potential here for everyone but it... More

"Amazing place"

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined LFA over a year ago, having come from a competitor IT recruitment company. Given I was partially influenced by the reviews in here before I joined, I'd like to share my experience of La Fosse as well: it's an amazing business and if you're willing to put passion and graft it can be an amazing platform for your career. There are 3 things that made me join, despite having already accepted an offer somewhere else:
    - The promising business model(proven by the growth and potential in some of the teams that are still developing)
    - The positive culture(it's clear it all started with the founder, but rather impressive that over 150 people with strong personalities still do their best to create live and breathe the lafossian values)
    - The investment in people(candidates, lafossians, clients and anyone to comes in contact with us). The L&D and HR Director is a rare gem, and created a learning and development team that not only breeds high performers( from associates to managers – some who don't have born leadership skills still continue to develop and learn how to nurture and inspire their teams) and it may sound exaggerated but I find it difficult to believe anyone can fail – if they really give it a try and don’t give up. Obviously, like any other profession, recruitment is not for everyone, so the ones that leave, the leave on great terms; In fact in my first week I was shocked one of the consultants was celebrated with flowers, champagne and a parting gift at the company meeting. given she was leaving to another recruitment company out of London, but I quickly learned that's the lafossian way. Last but not least, the MD's approach to anything (from ethical issues to candidate care) is refreshing: he would sacrifice quick financial gains any day, in order to instil an ethical attitude where consultants put candidate and client experience 1st .

Also, the fact that the founder cares so much about everyone's wellbeing is inspiring; There are a lot of perks, and a lot of flexibility where people come and go from the gym whenever, have massages, hypnotherapy, go to events, work remotely etc. but outside the fun it's high performing environment and with all the flexibility, people are very self driven: we come in early, leave late or come at weekends when we feel we need to, would absolutely no pressure from the business or the management team. There is an incredible level of trust, which is empowering as I'd like to think we're conscientious and reliable on our own accord rather than being made to be.

Another thing that's quite special about La Fosse is the social side. A lot of people have become friends, and you can certainly find like minded individuals that you will naturally befriend. This being said, it's rather nice that the social environment is separate from work: it never feels like it's a popularity contest and the company meetings celebrate high performers and culture champions.

Last but not least, it's great to be a in a company where besides the business mindset, there is a lot of positivity and meaningfulness (recycling, giving back to charity, sponsoring a school for orphans in Malawi and many others, as well as encouraging healthy eating, exercising and general wellbeing) . I've gone through a few life changing experiences recently and it feels great to come to work every day, see positive people and an unspoken acknowledgement of the small but important role and impact we all have in making our environment better. Or maybe I'm overthinking, but either way it’s great.

My manager is a genuine human(unlike someone who speaks like they're reading from 101 Management rules book) who is passionate about what he does and probably unknowingly inspires the same in others- you'll find that often in LFA.

To conclude, if you want to know more about the company, feel free to reach out to any random lafossian directly. Also, we're a recruitment business, but if recruitment is not for you but you may want to experience the coolness everyone is talking about and make a strong impact, worth keeping on eye on vacancies in the ops & finance teams- they rock as well. :)

Cons

You need a lot of resilience. It's not as much a con but a challenge of recruitment in general. Amazing ups but sometimes extremely frustrating downs.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!
    We're growing and some key performance indicators are probably inevitable, but remember we don't do cookie cut success recipes so it would be great if you continued allowing people to have their (sometimes alternative) work styles.

4. "Great place to work!!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am quite new to the business but already it is blatantly obvious that the culture and general work environment is brilliant here and that everyone is treated with respect regardless of their level. Too many companies treat employees as a disposable resource but it's evident that La Fosse couldn't be any further from that if it tried. Simon and JP, as well as the rest of the senior management, do a fantastic job in ensuring that each and every member of staff is fully engaged and striving to be the absolute best that they can be in line with the initial foundations that the business was built on! Even down to the 'little' things like a free gym membership, free breakfasts and flexible working - it's all geared up to make La Fosse stand out from a very crowded market and a genuine industry leader! Equally speaking, it's refreshing to work in a business where everyone is determined to succeed but not at the cost of integrity, honesty or their fellow colleagues - a rarity nowadays, especially in the world of recruitment!! Couldn't be happier to have made the move

Cons

I must admit, I'm yet to experience any!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Recruitment Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Great training opportunities and support from all staff members

Cons

Personal development support could be improved

6. "Important time"

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time

Pros

Excellent, fun, nice people with a huge spectrum of talent
    Great internal culture in a rapidly expanding company

Cons

Definitely feels like an important time so more should be done to ensure we pull together.

Advice to Management

Keep it up but don't forget you once started your career fresh-faced and young

Mar 24, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your comments and I couldn't agree more with both your points. We're now 150 people and our culture will only continue to be strong if we focus on it every day. We are determined to do... More

7. "La Fosse Associates- an honour to work here!"

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Genuinely the best company I have ever worked for. La Fosse makes every single employee feel hugely valued. From day one you have a career road map paved out for you along with mentoring programs, extensive training from a fantastic L&D team, free gym membership & an annual ski trip. Treating people well is at the core of La Fosse, and it's an honour to be working somewhere that is changing the face of recruitment.

Cons

Consultants & experienced hires don't always get offered enough mentoring & training to up-skill themselves and it sometimes feels a little like you are 'lost in the system'.

Advice to Management

No advice needed, they're all great. Keep up the good work!

8. "platform to succeed"

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great working environment where leaderships' main priority is the success and progression of everyone in the business, whilst maintaining a strong positive culture in a fast growing company.

Cons

a small con: CRM system could be better, feels a bit outdated and clunky, quite time consuming. To be fair it's as good as any other I've used but I don't think the bar is particularly high.

"Senior Consultant"

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time

Pros

I have previous recruitment experience and can honesty say that La Fosse is the best place I have worked in my career so far. I joined the company specifically to surround myself with top recruiters and inspiring managers and I have not been disappointed. There is a warm collaborative feeling from day one and everyone is willing to help you as you work to understand the existing client base and case studies.

I never truly understood the value of culture or what great culture looked like. It's extremely hard to get this right when a company is growing at pace. Having been at La Fosse now for nearly three months, my understanding of culture, what this truly means and what a great place to work looks and feels like is now very real.

We have a CEO who has built a business based on treating people well. I now have a CEO and Senior Managers who are very in touch with their industry and employees and whom you trust will always do the right thing for your career. Every day I work along side like minded industry expert recruiters who go above and beyond to do the best job they possibly can. The Managers here truly understand the recruitment industry and offer advice, guidance and support at every opportunity. They do not manage by fear or hierarchy but by experience and kindness. I have learned more here in three months than I learned in the last 12 months in my previous role and would highly recommend this environment to a senior consultant, grad or anyone in between that was looking for a professional, mature and overall great place to work.

Cons

Everyone here is amazing at their job. It can be slightly overwhelming. There is nowhere to hide in a small organisation and you need to be best in class to succeed. However there is plenty of support and training to make sure that you achieve this.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work - you are all excellent leaders and I am learning from you on a daily basis. I joined La Fosse because you guys inspire me and I want to work alongside you as visionaries in this industry. Don't loose touch with front line recruitment as so many directors in this industry do. Never manage on KPI's - It's lazy, impersonal and drives the wrong behaviors - I know you won't!

Feb 17, 2017 – CEO

Wow. Thank you for taking the time to write this. Knowing how much the culture is appreciated is exactly the thing that inspires us to continue to focus on it. Thanks also for the advice WRT staying... More

"Good but losing it's touch"

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very inspiring CEO
    Great Commission Structure
    Opportunity to be part of something with shared equity model

Cons

Managers who are good recruiters, but should not be leading people
    KPIs creeping in
    Losing it's culture and value proposition
    Training unstructured and poorly delivered

Advice to Management

Simon needs to remain more active in the business
    Consider 180 recruiters
    Senior management need to do more to drive culture

Mar 24, 2017 – CEO

Hi thanks for your comments. We grew by 50% last year and I think that stretched us in many ways. We are focussed on upskilling our less experienced mangers as quickly as possible and invest a lot of... More