La Fosse Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
La Fosse Associates Founder and CEO Simon La Fosse
Simon La Fosse

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Super supportive and ambitious environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really supportive culture - if you have an idea for something internally or want to change directions within the company they'll support you to do so. Worth noting that they're really supportive outside of work too if ever people are having personal difficulties. Culture is big on the agenda, but comes down to rewarding people for their work, supporting ambition, and generally being a nice place to work with nice people. Just got back from our company ski trip where they sent 130 of us to the slopes for a couple of days which was a great chance to bond with people from other teams etc. which always gets a bit harder as the company grows.
    The role can be hard at times - it's recruitment after all, but the commission scheme rewards good work, and the company recognises those going through trickier times and will offer additional training and support where they can - but asks for a good work ethic in return.
    Fantastic management at the top - really clued in to the business, and really open. The MD sits on the floor in an open-desk environment and will genuinely make the time for you and listen if you need it.

Cons

Company grew really quickly last year and with that there will always be changes which people need to adapt to. Having said that, all teething problems are are always addressed and rectified.

Advice to Management

Appreciate it'snot easy - keep it up! Look forward to more international expansions - they're an exciting opportunity for people in the business! :)

"wonderful culture and values"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really lovely bunch of people. Everyone is ambitious, hard working but they also really care for each other.
    I've never worked in a place like it. We're also trying to give candidates a really good experience even if we can't place them. I think this contributes to the vibe and makes the job much more rewarding.

Cons

Everyone works hard and it's difficult to find that work life balance all of the time.
    We are always growing as fast as we can and whilst it's fun it also means that things never stay the same for long.

Advice to Management

Keep on ensuring that candidate care is as good as it can be . Keep on doing everything you do to look after the employees. These are the two things that make the company what it is and if we stay focused on them we will continue to be successful and enjoy what we do.

3. "A great place to work with fantastic colleagues and rapid career development opportunities!"

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The senior management team and CEO genuinely live by the values that they teach as best practice.

A shared employee ownership model means that everyone is working together and pulling in the same direction.

You can progress very quickly, both in terms of career development and also compensation. There is a comprehensive training scheme to support this.

A fantastic office environment (table tennis table, business casual dress code, and a great location)

Cons

Hard to say really. I enjoy working here and am encouraged by like minded, motivated colleagues in a high performing environment. If I had to say anything it would be that work life balance can be challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - continuing to lead by example.

"High performance & great team"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

Everyone here is given the freedom (and corresponding responsibility) to accelerate their careers as quickly as possible. Its a real meritocracy, backed up with a great level of support - not just from management, but from peers. The fact that we all have options in the company helps keep everyone pulling together. Its not just about success though, I think there is a strong sense of purpose - we are trying to do something different in the industry by treating candidates well, so there is a collective pride in being known for that.

Cons

I have found if I work twice as hard & twice as smart, I progress 4 times as quick. Some people struggle with the hard work bit - if you are after a lifestyle job where you are spoon fed, this wont be for you, but I think its great when you have a team around you who keep going when the going gets tough!

Advice to Management

Maybe a more practical working exercise as part of assessing people at interview to work out if they are really up for it, or just say they are.

"Great company to work for"

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a company that really looks after the employees. There are obvious benefits that they offer like gym membership, monthly massages, fresh fruit and croissants in the morning, but I think what makes the company special is the people that work here. Everyone not only cares about the company performance, but also about each other. If you need advice, there is always somebody to lend a hand. Also, they are very good at trying new things. If something isn't working, it is easy to just leave it and say - "that's the way it is", but La Fosse will make an active effort to try and change things and try out new ideas. Culture wise, they are trying to make a difference in the industry externally by treating people well, but this is also reflected internally. There is no internal competition, people look to help each other rather than work against one another and if you are the right person you will really thrive in this environment.

Cons

I think some people can become disillusioned about the job, or have a preconceived idea of what it will be like before starting. One thing to stress is that it's not easy, there are highs and lows, but I think as far as recruitment companies go La Fosse really do stand out. Of course people leave, which is normal for a company that hires a lot of graduates, but the people that leave are either not the right culture fit, or aren't emotionally strong enough to deal with when things aren't going well for them. It's important to remember that the most successful people here have gone through hard times too.

Advice to Management

It's hard to maintain the culture of a small company when you grow very rapidly, so focus on hiring the right people culturally as well as looking at their experience to make sure that this is maintained over time.

"A fast-paced and ambitious company for those who thrive in a close-knit team."

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The first word that comes to mind is integrity. From the beginning, Simon La Fosse’s goal was to build an organisation that differentiated itself from its competition by treating people well (staff, candidates and clients alike). The organisation has expanded rapidly in the time I have been here and it is great to see the values have not diluted at all. I am sure the shared-ownership model is the key to the culture. Everyone here recognises that the long-term success of the company is dependent on the long-term success of all of the individuals within it. This means that everyone is not just willing to help each other but they actively want to. This is a great place to work and I cannot see myself working anywhere that doesn’t share these values.

Cons

For obvious reasons the company is looking to grow and this means that there are other activities that sit outside of your day job; running candidate care events, training new starters, hosting networking evenings as well as supporting the various company sports teams (netball, football, rugby etc.). Working as a team is everyone’s cup of tea and those who would prefer to be independent operators will find it harder to adapt to the La Fosse team culture.

Advice to Management

Keep recruiting positive high-performers. No exceptions.

7. "Pioneering candidate care in the recruitment industry and supporting employees at all levels"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

La Fosse is role modelling how to support its staff and care for its candidates in a genuine attempt to achieve a step change in the recruitment industry. I have recently joined to bring HR and L&D expertise, which will help the organisation scale in line with its values of integrity, innovation and outstanding delivery. Growing the company without compromising the exemplary culture that it was built around is the highest priority for senior management and they are very keen to listen to all employee ideas on how to achieve this. It is what excited me about this opportunity and all company actions and decisions are consistently in line with this goal. With over 8 years of experience in the recruitment industry, I am acutely aware of how special and unique the environment is here and how extensively integrity, inclusion and collaborative working is encouraged and rewarded. For example, as well as working in their own vertical markets, consultants operate in account teams across executive search, perm, contract and contingent. This way, the integrity of our business model as a full service technology and digital recruiter is maintained, all account team members take shared ownership for the performance of the team overall and, therefore, collaborative working is automatic.

Cons

To date, there have been some variations in how employees are onboarded and developed. This has been due to the absence of a dedicated individual to own and champion the L&D and HR function. It is my role to do this and ensure that there are learning and career development programmes and options in place for all, across sales and operations.

Advice to Management

Continue to constantly question every decision that is made to ensure it is consistently aligned to maintaining and evolving our culture as we grow.

"Great culture, lots of perks for those who are up for it...."

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A fun place to work in a very collegiate environment which is unusual for a recruitment company.
    Its not for everyone but that applies to the industry as a whole and not just to La Fosse.
    A great opportunity to make serious money as they have the most financially rewarding commission scheme in the industry. You do obviously have to work hard to earn this - nothing is for free!
    Some complain about the long hours and pressure, sure that exists but there is no limit to what you can earn - the harder you work the more you make, simple, you dont have to earn lots of money if you dont want too....
    Pressure? Yes that naturally exists but no more than any other high performing company would have.
    The company really looks after the well being of its employees, they provide breakfast everyday, gym, massages, hypnotherapy, friday drinks, company outings and ski trips to name a few.....

Cons

As a recruiter/sales person you have to get used to rejection as that will happen all the time. It can be demoralising especially when you have targets to meet. You will need higher than normal emotional intelligence and perseverance for this job.

Advice to Management

Make sure the culture and values does not get lost as the company grows.

"Very rewarding experience, highly enjoyable and a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

La Fosse Associates isn't your average recruitment firm, Simon and James Parker are building a world-class recruitment agency whilst maintaining an enjoyable work environment... honestly from my experience there over the last three years, they have succeeded.

People:
    Everyone is hard-working, sociable and caring for each other. Your peers will go above and beyond their job description to help whether that's helping find great talent, training, mentoring, guidance or even developing your own clients.

The work:
    Recruitment is a tough job and everyone has development points - that's why LFA are dedicated to Knowledge & Training to all employee's (at all levels) whether that's picking up your confidence on the phone, advancing your search techniques or learning to be a bit more organised.

Values:
    LFA are all about looking after candidates and clients where they are serious about upholding this as they grow. It's the right thing to do and is clear evidence into how employee's treat each other as well as managers treating their teams too.

Perks available:
    Gym, great commission structure, share options, training, owning a vertical, mentoring & buddy system, massages, hypnotherapy, Ski trip (for all employees), socials, regular supply of Percy Pigs and as much birthday cake and biltong to fill your boots!

Very sad to be leaving the firm now but I was very lucky to find a firm like this straight after University - I could have done a hell of a lot worse

Cons

It's not for everyone and you need to be up for it as your peers will all be hard-working and aspiring to manage their own team. My advice to anyone thinking of joining is to ask yourself: am I ready to apply myself to succeed or am I just looking for any old entry-level job? If it's the former, LFA can give you the tools and training to build a great career.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire great people and spend time developing their careers no matter how fast the firm grows.

10. ""Investors in People""

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The genuine difference in this business is the commitment from the Management to invest in their people. Not only is it a true Meritocracy, but it’s also a culture where you're encouraged to develop as a person and a professional.

As a Top 10 performer, I haven’t been left to just churn out the figures, but have been encouraged to tackle my weaknesses, been given a business coach and offered mentoring from Simon La Fosse who continues to take an active role in the development of the staff and environment. The culture is one of accountability and entrepreneurialism and as a result the KPI’s are light, but empowered and involve you in the decision making via an appraisal system.

Cons

It's a growth business which isn't for everyone, so really spend time considering the implications of this before accepting to contribute to the success story.

Advice to Management

Don't ruin the culture as we grow.