La Fosse Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
La Fosse Associates Founder and CEO Simon La Fosse
Simon La Fosse

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Boring and people purely in it for the money"

I worked at La Fosse Associates full-time

Pros

Good coffee machine and money if thats your thing

Cons

Not interesting work, cold calling etc

Mar 24, 2017 – CEO

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your time here. I would challenge your view on your colleagues motivation however but appreciate you're entitled to your view. Best of luck with your future career and... More

"Good but not great"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at La Fosse Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fast growing business
    dynamic sales force
    backed by a well known and well respected individual

Cons

structure of business is heavy on the outward facing, lead generation, job flow activity
    not enough consultants placing the opportunities that are coming in to the business
    too many graduates being hired as resourcers for roles instead of existing industry experts

Advice to Management

hire more senior level experienced players within a technical recruitment field, instead of just pushing people through at a junior level. A danger is creating a production line of individuals who are all trained the same way, with the same thought, same strengths but equally the same weaknesses

"Busy"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Inspiring Leadership, but not middle management

Cons

No Training or development plans

Advice to Management

Introduce a Training Scheme

"Good but losing it's touch"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very inspiring CEO
    Great Commission Structure
    Opportunity to be part of something with shared equity model

Cons

Managers who are good recruiters, but should not be leading people
    KPIs creeping in
    Losing it's culture and value proposition
    Training unstructured and poorly delivered

Advice to Management

Simon needs to remain more active in the business
    Consider 180 recruiters
    Senior management need to do more to drive culture

Mar 24, 2017 – CEO

Hi thanks for your comments. We grew by 50% last year and I think that stretched us in many ways. We are focussed on upskilling our less experienced mangers as quickly as possible and invest a lot of... More

"Management need to take a step back"

I worked at La Fosse Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great remuneration potential if you sit in the right seat (i.e, if you're given a lucrative market). Great energy in the office and friendly and supportive co-workers and managers.

Cons

La Fosse is not the company it was once sold to me as. It's still selling itself as a small 'culture' lead business, which is still partially true, however senior management are in a tricky position as the company is at a size where this culture and family feel is beginning to fade, regardless of the efforts they have made to retain it.

I noticed KPIs creeping in, which at the end of the day is understandable as it is a sales based job - but don't try to pretend that KPIs aren't in place, because they clearly are (morning stand-ups, whilst sounding like a good idea, were essentially a grilling of associates around the KPIs of their previous day)

I also felt coherent management was an issue throughout my time - My direct manager offered little to no support throughout my employment and I think this should be looked at on a company-wide scale as there are some instances of very poor management that I observed that no one was doing anything to rectify.

The end goal (buyout) is clearly the target here, and the obvious step up in KPIs and performance based appraisals is reflecting on that, be careful because people will (and are) leaving for places that treat their employees better.

Advice to Management

Your turn-over rate is growing (which will happen when a company puts so much pressure on new recruits) and I think this is reflecting badly on the company - For such a culture-lead firm I think you need to take a look at this.

Being a high-biller does not mean that person will be a good manager - this could really damage your business as highly talented people are joining under terrible management and are leaving after a very short amount of time.

to conclude: If you're going to sell the company based on it's culture then you need to make sure that the culture is that of a good one.

Jul 10, 2017 – CEO

" Thanks for taking the time to write this and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your brief time here as much as we both would have wanted . To respond to your first point the people who are most... More

"Setting ourselves apart from the rest. Working together as a team so we all achieve success."

I have been working at La Fosse Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the recruitment industry it is very competitive in the past companies I have worked for this has meant that internal competition has gone beyond healthy and has been detrimental to the business. We have internal incentives to have a bit of fun however generally we all work together and there is no us/them culture between offices. We are very well rewarded and looked after. The directors have a strong vision and the employees share it there's a real sense that we're all wanting to head in the same direction.

My colleagues are some of the best in the industry and quite frankly as a result they keep you on your toes, we are constantly on a learning curve at any level! The graduate training scheme we have now is the best I have worked on with trainees in my career. We use external trainers, our senior leaders, and also newer graduates to the company who have excelled in specific areas to give expertise advice.

We are a young organisation and as such there are many career opportunities up for grabs as areas are still being defined. You have the opportunity to get on the bus early! Many of our graduates that joined us early on in are now managing consultants! There is a clear and defined structure to become Team Leader and its well within graduates means when they join.

Cons

We aren't as well known as some of our competitors in some areas. As we're ambitious and entrepreneurial there is a great deal of rapid change this could be a con for some people

Advice to Management

Continue to change and adapt the training scheme.

"Need to be careful..."

I worked at La Fosse Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at La Fosse is a fantastic experience. The atmosphere and working environment is very collaborative on the whole, and in particular there is a great support network on the contracts team. The company treats it's staff well, with great incentives and work days out throughout the year.

Cons

There are a few issues - number one the strategy and support network isn't as strong in some parts of the business as it is in others. Cliques are certainly developing as new management structures are being brought in, which is only natural. You are bound to feel a closer affinity to people you have known a while, or those you hire yourself, but that shouldn't stop you helping those who are already there. And support doesn't mean "have you tried this? No? Then I can't help you".
    Aggressive growth leads to aggressive hiring and stretches managers' attention span, but similar to above bringing in endless new talent shouldn't deter from supporting the talent already developing within the business.

Recruitment is also a tough gig - long hours are a given. But expecting young recruiters to work until 10pm or later and be back in for 7.30am is unrealistic. Plus weekend work as getting promoted within 10/11 months is now seen as par. Much longer and you can expect heavy breathing down your neck, so a word of warning.

Advice to Management

Recently there has been a lot of change to the management structure, and it's very important that the ethos of the company doesn't change with it. La Fosse has a business model which has seen significant growth returns for a number of years, and it would be foolish to change it and bring in a more KPI-driven environment which seems to be the direction it is heading despite not being mentioned officially.

Also, previous associates have been given time to nurture and identify their talents and recently this hasn't been the case leading to a fairly high turnover of staff since the turn of the year. Yes there is an aggressive growth strategy which brings with it its own pressures but don't allow this to get in the way of developing the strength you already have within.

Feb 17, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback. It's not all great but I appreciate the points you make. And you're right growing quickly is not easy. We grew our headcount by 50% in 2016 and we have never grown this... More

"Good, forward thinking company"

Pros

It has a great young, energetic culture

Cons

No cons, was a good place to work

Feb 17, 2017 – CEO

Thanks. Especially as you've left...really appreciate you taking the time. Best of luck with your future career and stay in touch and let us know how you're doing ...whoever you are! You're now part... More

"Associate Consultant"

I worked at La Fosse Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic vibe, culture and pastoral care of all consultants to the business, Genuine investment in new hires to ensure they become the building blocks for the future. Recruitment is a simple industry - you have to be prepared to work hard and La Fosse will push you but first and foremost, they will support you.

Cons

Lack of clarity in direction sometimes - internal changes make it hard to focus on where the company is going. Education around you chosen area - there could be more support or time allocated to simply learn and get interested in your own area of specialism.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, keep it transparent. Communication is key.

Feb 17, 2017 – CEO

Thanks. Good advice for us. Take your point about learning about your specialism...it's really important and once you are genuinely expert you can add so much more value to your clients and... More

"Recruitment Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Great training opportunities and support from all staff members

Cons

Personal development support could be improved