La Madeleine Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
John Cahill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Was a good and interesting to work for concept with lots of good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• You'll get a decent amount of hours, team mates are great, and a whole lot of free food (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay scale, standing on feet for long periods (in 6 reviews)

• I feel many of them used it to their advantage (For example, they don't understand take the trash out but they know "can I go home early) (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company"

Current Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at La Madeleine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People-oriented company who understands that the Guest is more important than the bottom line

Cons

No cons to speak of

2. "MIT program"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at La Madeleine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a step back to simplicity. If you have been in the industry you have worked at one of those places you get beat up on a daily bases and are exhausted every day even your days off. La Madeleine and the Le Duff company actually seem to care about you an your personal life. It reminds you why you work in this field you enjoy the people and you like to be appreciated. I actually got a welcome letter from the head of the company welcoming me to the fold with personal details about myself. That was a excellent touch.

Cons

The MIT program is not as detailed as some I have seen. It is fine if you are a green horn but if you have years of experience you will not learn everything you want to in the short time. You will come out knowing how you are expected to run your shift, but a lot of the office/admin work you will need to spend time on to learn when you get to your new café.

Advice to Management

Out of the companies I have worked the ones I came out most comfortable with included a corporate day/days. there was only one or two a quarter and you went to the home office even in a different state and you got to put faces with names and dug in deeper on P&l, Schedule programs, HR, and other admin system tat you did not get to dig into wile in an operating store.

3. "la mads"

I worked at La Madeleine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hourly employees were great. Really good people and good pastries

Cons

Never enough employees working. Hard to recruit. As a manager you work the hourly positions more then anything

Advice to Management

For the higher ups in management. Let them schedule employees so that your managers can also do their jobs. Most of your guests do not even realize they are managers because the see them either behind a register the whole time or in the kitchen cooking.

4. "Manager"

I have been working at La Madeleine full-time

Pros

Great food and friendly service

Cons

the confusion that the guest have

"host/cashier/line/bakery-togo"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at La Madeleine part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

they don't get mad if you show up late.
    you get the days you request off

Cons

manager who makes the schedule sucks.
    if you get the job, expect to train yourself cause the managers could care less.
    short staffed
    pay sucks

Advice to Management

get new management

6. "Coworkers were great; management, not so much"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at La Madeleine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The French cafe-bistro setting is nice, and most of the customers are kind and amiable. High quality baked goods and meals (petit dejeuner) drew in numerous repeat patrons. Nice ambiance.

Cons

Management bullied me when I went to an upper level manager to complain about the inappropriate conduct of several co-workers and a lower level manager at LM in Bethesda. Corporate HR was not helpful at all, and it demanded proof or witnesses to the incident in question, to which co-workers were understandably unwilling to serve witness to for fear of losing their job. Basically got bullied to not speak up about any grievances against management and to quit the job. #MeToo

Advice to Management

Be less barbaric and listen to HR concerns without jumping down the female employee's throat (yes, the managers were both male and were raised in foreign countries, so weren't too versed in HR policy in the US).

"Company has some issues"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at La Madeleine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was with them for 6 years. The beginning was wonderful. Learned alot. They took care of their people.

Cons

Underpaid, over worked, always short staffed, company is making alot of poor decisions and no longer taking care of their people first.

Advice to Management

Hire more management

"Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at La Madeleine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount. They work with you when you request days off. For the most part easy and relaxed job.

Cons

Low pay. They expect you to do more than what your job position/title is.

Advice to Management

They could use more assistant managers or at least shift/team leaders to take some weight or stress off of the managers so they can focus on fixing the major issues. Appreciate your employees more and they will do more than expected.

9. "Fun Place to work"

I worked at La Madeleine full-time

Pros

Great people, fun staff, low stress job, flexible hours

Cons

low pay, lunch rushes on sunday

Advice to Management

when things get hectic help out the crew

"Manager"

I have been working at La Madeleine full-time

Pros

There is still a few general managers still good to work for. Was a good and interesting to work for concept with lots of good benefits. It looks like the market will soon be sold or closed.

Cons

District managers have not been great. Pay scale has not kept pace with market. Benefits have been taken away. Sorry to see a great brand diminished.

Advice to Management

Do better planning before opening 6 new restaurants so you don't have to close 3 of them within a few years of opening them. Lost respect for the brand. Pay competitively ands do not take benefits from long time employees and managers.