La-Z-Boy "furniture" Reviews | Glassdoor

La-Z-Boy Employee Reviews about "furniture"

Updated 11 Oct 2019

3.3
La-Z-Boy CEO Kurt L. Darrow
Kurt L. Darrow
Pros
  • "Great co-workers and atmosphere for the work environment(in 23 reviews)

• "I work with great people and I have an excellent manager(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Slower payouts with custom built furniture(in 28 reviews)

• "Very long hours leaves you with no family time(in 24 reviews)

Reviews about "furniture"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Warehouse/ Delivery Manager"

Warehouse/Delivery Manager in Springfield, IL

I worked at La-Z-Boy for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company to work for, along with a great product to stand behind

Cons

When it comes to the repair side of things, would be better to have better diagrams and blueprints of the furniture, but also have proper training from the factory

La-Z-Boy2018-11-05
  2. "Look for somewhere else to work"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at La-Z-Boy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the people there are respectable.

Cons

They don't really care about the retail division or their people, even though they will lie to your face and insist that they do. They will lead you on in order for you to do what they want, and then crap on you as soon as you disagree with anything they want to implement. They act as though they are losing money by closing down plants, cutting positions, etc. even though they are making money hand over fist. Their... prices are higher at their own stores than at other furniture stores because they are just greedy.

Advice to Management

Advice to upper management: change your whole attitude towards your retail employees.

La-Z-Boy2019-10-11

"Review of La-Z-Boy Orlando, Florida"

Former Employee - Sales in Orlando, FL

I worked at La-Z-Boy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sales people were ok to work with. The ladies in the back office were nice . Pay was OK. Training was tough but worth it. You had to learn quickly. Furniture is the highest quality along with a high price but there was financing. Plenty of materials and colors to choose from.

Cons

Sales people seem distant and very Robotic. Sales people were ok to work with but verbal fights would break out from time to time. manager ULTRA MICRO MANAGED. You would be with a customer and giving your furniture pitch and be maybe 15 minutes into a sale and the Manager would interfear in the sale at the wrong time and I saw several sales go down the tubes because of it and yes that's a problem.I was warned... in the beginning, that lazboy goes through a lot of people and its True. 50% of people quit in Training. Benefits were expensive!. Barely anyone came in the store so 5 sales people would be standing around for maybe hours.

Advice to Management

The MICRO MANAGEMENT that goes on there is foolish. Everybody knows micro managing only means you don't trust your employees. Manager has a problem with managing clearly. Management will sit down with you and talk however they won't listen. There's a difference between a Boss and a Leader and the Bosses were only that.

La-Z-Boy2018-03-07
  4. "Great place to work. Lots of opportunities to grown and earn more. Only limit is yourself. Great product!"

Current Employee - In Home Designer in El Paso, TX

I have been working at La-Z-Boy full-time for more than a year

Pros

No limit to income. Great quality product. Maditory days off.

Cons

Takes time to build clients. Slower payouts with custom built furniture. Income per month varries

Advice to Management

Sales associates need to be made aware of long wait of pay at hire. Inconsistencies in product delivery time. Lots of damage due to shipping companies on merchandise.

La-Z-Boy2018-01-15

"Interior designer"

Current Employee - Interior Designer

I have been working at La-Z-Boy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great health insurance benefits but it keeps on changing every year so not sure for much longer.

Cons

High turn over of employees, low pay, pay structure changing constantly, poor upper management skills, constant problems with furniture quality. Upper management pretends the quality problems do not exist and get angry if you bring it up.

Advice to Management

You need to treat your employees in a more respectful way and pay them a decent living.

La-Z-Boy2017-09-01

"Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at La-Z-Boy part-time

Pros

Good team atmosphere, relatively easy work. Great experience for an introduction to furniture sales and interior design basics. Caring work environment.

Cons

There is literally nothing else to do but sit on comfortable furniture, talk and be on facebook all day. Hours go by without a customer. For some that might seem like a dream situation but I'd rather be busy working. Also, there is no commission, and no possibility for advancement, so motivation for sales is low.

Advice to Management

Hire more leads, make them feel special. Bring back commission for leads and pay part timers more than minimum wage.

La-Z-Boy2017-05-22

"Pat time Associate"

I have been working at La-Z-Boy part-time

Pros

Nice people to work with.

Cons

The Pay is very low considering the amount we sell for the COMPANY. It is way lower than other Furniture Stores and for part time no benefits. The CEO needs to look out of his own world and try and imagine someone selling THOUSANDS of $ and making so little.

Advice to Management

Help your People live more comfortably.

La-Z-Boy2017-03-27

"Need motivation"

Sales Associate in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at La-Z-Boy

Pros

It's an easy going environment... Very laid back and not difficult at all. I will say that my store manager is great, as is my sales manager.. The associates are great to work with and the product is a good solid product. Because the job is a non commission job there is not a constant cut throat competition between associates so it makes for a friendly team oriented environment which I think is definitely a good... thing

Cons

To what I said before about non commission being a good thing it's also a bad thing Considering that 75% of the entirety of the stores sales are sold by the associates, but the associates don't get anything but their hourly pay. I've noticed the turn over rate for employees is a year or less because they leave to go somewhere that pays more. This creates a problem because as the associates get better and know the... product more in depth they have to leave to make more money. So, new people are brought in and management now needs to take the time to train them on product. You lose great knowledgable sales people this way, for what the sales associates do they do not get paid nearly enough. The uppers(cooperate) try to offer "incentives" like selling certain items will make you an extra couple bucks here and there, but the items are near impossible to sell as are making sure it's done within the set guidelines.. sales team while great to work with lacks motivation because of the low pay. Company is extremely antiquated and cannot compete with the furniture stores they are trying to compete with, and not because their product isn't just a great product, but because the company hasn't moved into the 21st century yet.

Advice to Management

My advice is to reinstate some type of ACTUAL incentive. My suggestion would be a commission sharing.. So, associates split a percent of the written sales as long as they work a certain number of hours weekly and the target dollar amount is met. This would create an incentive for the associates to work harder and sell more, but will not detract from the team oriented environment because nobody is fighting each other... for commission, but rather just trying to meet the sales goal to make money. It also retains seasoned knowledgeable employees. My final thought is UPDATE.. Bring your company into the 21st century.. It's unprofessional and makes us look bad and does not attract the target clientele. LISTEN to your sales people who are actually on the floor selling the product. They know what the consumer wants more than anyone sitting in an office looking at numbers and trends.

La-Z-Boy2016-09-10

"I Love Furniture and Fabrics but Unstable Management and Low Pay"

Design Assistant

I have been working at La-Z-Boy

Pros

Can be a creative environment, I like working with furniture and fabrics, many days are low volume so it doesn't seem very stressful and rushed, the opportunity to advance is extraordinary high (but this might be a sign of a bad thing for the company in general).

Cons

Unprofessional/bad attitude store management, upper management makes poor business choices, they thrive on this "no pressure environment" but there is way too much pressure on the part-time employees even though there is no commission or bonus structure for them. The manager doesn't seem to relay messages to customers on late or even cancelled furniture, which creates angry customers who let their anger out on... anyone they talk to at the store. As the design assistant, you make the same pay as the sales associates yet you are given the tasks of basically doing all the head designer's work plus all the tasks of the sales associates. We are always low staffed because employees don't last long (including management) so on a normal day it is hard to find the time to work on home designs when you have to be selling on the floor too. My store hasn't felt stable since I worked there.

Advice to Management

Communicate to both employees and customers with a positive, friendly tone. Most of the time, people don't quit jobs they quit their bosses. You would keep employees around longer if the environment was better, which makes for higher quality and better educated staff, which would generate better sales.

La-Z-Boy2016-02-01

"Great place to start!"

I have been working at La-Z-Boy full-time

Pros

My coworkers are great to be around! The store management is helpful and work closely with you to get you trained. There is almost no limitation on what they can train you on. They really do appreciate what you do and back you up if there is a problem. Everyone is mostly happy with what they do. The company thrives on return/long time customers. The quality is good, and the options are vast, making it easier to sell... furniture. All of the training makes it a good starting career, but not an ending one.

Cons

There is a promotional ceiling. You can only move up so much before you reach a dead end. The only way they will promote you is if someone quits. Even then it's a long shot. Everyone does everything to run the store (Cleaning, moving furniture, writing and processes quotes, customer service issues, and sales). They need to hire someone to take over some of these jobs so that your sales people don't have to be the... ones to sell furniture and wash windows all at the same time for $10-11 per hour. There is a high turnover because of this.

Advice to Management

Those who manage the store know what they are doing and know what their customers want, but every furniture set that sells well is required to be removed from the store. The "higher ups" in the company are oblivious and need to work the sales floor before they make ridiculous decisions. They also need to evaluate the work vs. pay balance as well.

La-Z-Boy2015-12-10