La-Z-Boy "furniture" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

La-Z-Boy Reviews

Updated Jan 17, 2020

3.4
La-Z-Boy Chairman, President and CEO Kurt L. Darrow
Kurt L. Darrow
  1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Production Manager in Knoxville, TN

I worked at La-Z-Boy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Stable company, felt like family

Cons

High turnover rates of hourly associates made job difficult always training

La-Z-Boy2019-10-18

"34 year employee, Upholstery, accounting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I worked at La-Z-Boy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Steady employment. Very stable and we'll paying until a few years ago. Not much opportunities for advancing.

Cons

Poor management the last few years. Company shut down production operation in California due to costs and let everyone go with only 2 weeks severance. In my opinion, very unappreciative of long time employees

Advice to Management

Should have took a better look at underperforming employees and worked to replace them instead of hiding them or making excuses for relatives

La-Z-Boy2019-10-28
  3. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at La-Z-Boy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, team atmosphere, quality product

Cons

None that I can offer

La-Z-Boy2019-10-03
  4. "Stager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Tazewell, TN

I worked at La-Z-Boy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay and good hours

Cons

Very Poor management very judgemental people

Advice to Management

Management bad to judge people for appearance like piercings and tattoos

La-Z-Boy2019-10-14

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Corporate Travel & Facilities Coordinator II

I worked at La-Z-Boy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Open seating concept, ability to work from home, active in the community.

Cons

Different rules for different departments, rather than the same for corporate as a whole.

La-Z-Boy2019-09-10
  6. "Look for somewhere else to work"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at La-Z-Boy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the people there are respectable.

Cons

They don't really care about the retail division or their people, even though they will lie to your face and insist that they do. They will lead you on in order for you to do what they want, and then crap on you as soon as you disagree with anything they want to implement. They act as though they are losing money by closing down plants, cutting positions, etc. even though they are making money hand over fist. Their prices are higher at their own stores than at other furniture stores because they are just greedy.

Advice to Management

Advice to upper management: change your whole attitude towards your retail employees.

La-Z-Boy2019-10-11
  7. "Design Consultant and sales associate"

Former Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at La-Z-Boy full-time for less than a year

Pros

It depends on the location, but you are in control of how much money you make.

Cons

There is very little traffic and base pay is minimum wage. Very long hours leaves you with no family time.

Advice to Management

None

La-Z-Boy2019-09-03

"Toxic environment"

Former Employee - Designer in Boston, MA

I worked at La-Z-Boy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing, it was very toxic.

Cons

Everything, pay, people, management, etc

La-Z-Boy2019-09-12

"Disrespectful Compensation"

Current Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at La-Z-Boy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only pro is brand recognition

Cons

This is the absolute worst compensation plan I’ve ever seen in my life. The compensation is so miserably below the industry standard. It is nearly impossible to actually make a decent living here. You could be selling 200k+ and still not being making a quality salary. It would be a decent salary, but not a quality one. The company expects you to do SO much for what little they pay. None of the associates are able to only work here for a full time job because they’d starve. Most are either part time or use this as a secondary income because of how little it is everyone needs another source of income. They don’t pay any additional on protection plans which is a literal industry standard. Their commission structure is pathetic, and not only is it not competitive but it’s insulting. They expect the lead designers to have degrees in design and extensive experience, but they don’t pay for all of that. If you had student loans from getting your design degree it would take you your entire life to pay them off here. The compensation plan is angering and insulting.

Advice to Management

Pay people. You get what you pay for. If you paid people more and had a better rate to offer people to work there I bet you’d see your sales and stocks double in value. You can’t get any good sales people paying the pathetic salaries that you pay. Nobody in their right mind would ever take the job. Pay your designers more, you expect them to do so much work and have degrees and experience, but you pay them as if they’re high school students who need a part time job, which is why you can’t get anyone to take the positions. Pay more on your protection plans, the industry standard is 10-20%, yet you pay the basic percentage. I GUARANTEE that if you actually paid a higher commission on the protection that you’d see a MAJOR increase in the sales of it and in turn would spend a little money to make a LOT of money. You need to actually do market analysis and actually pay people and you’d see a huge increase in your accounting. Moral of the story and my only advice- get competitive with your compensation or at least up to industry standard and actually pay people a decent LIVABLE wage so that they don’t have to work 2 jobs to just survive.

La-Z-Boy2019-08-14

"RUN!!!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at La-Z-Boy full-time for less than a year

Pros

none Pay is too low, minimum wage and you have to sell a lot to get commission

Cons

unprofessional unfair Management has favorites DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY. Management goofed alot with Sales Associates and had favorites who were allowed to behave unprofessional and have poor attendance with no consequences. However if you are a new Sales Associate you will be nit picked and if your are not a favorite of management you will be terminated for no reason atall probably before your probation period is over. This was the most unprofessional and unfair company I have ever worked with. I was also told many inappropriate things by another Sales Associate and management terminated me for telling on the sales Associate. RUN

La-Z-Boy2019-08-31