Labatt Food Service Reviews in San Antonio, TX | Glassdoor

San Antonio, TX Area

3.7
Blair Labatt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Advancement is available with hard work and proven mastership in your field (in 8 reviews)

• The teams I work with are all filled with strong, smart people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No vacation for the first year is difficult to get over at first (in 4 reviews)

• Manager who created a hostile work environment and whose unapproachable attitude made work a nightmare (in 4 reviews)

"Takes care of their people"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was hired by Labatt directly out of college. Labatt allowed me to learn all aspects of the business and through that find my place within the company. I'm still learning something new everyday and continuing to grow with Labatt. The company treats their employees like family. There is an open door policy with all management including the President and CEO. We as employees treat each other like family as well. Labatt is the perfect company to establish a career with and continue that career long term as you grow.

Cons

The location of the warehouse isn't desirable.

Advice to Management

Please continue to create a family-like atmosphere as we grow. The safety and support given is priceless and hard to find in a company.

"Great Pay, Poor Culture and Working Environment"

Former Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and health clinic are good.

Cons

Little value for work/life balance. Pretty poor company culture. Not much training or investing into their employees. Can be very political. Weird family dynamics.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Help them grow and listen to what they need help with. Work on company culture.

"A Company That Creates Its Own Truth"

Former Employee - Office Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Office Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're lucky to have landed under a manager who has chosen to rise above the corporate culture perpetuated by the company's executive leadership, then you may have the chance to have a great experience with this company. However, if you land under a manager who has been born and bred into the Labatt culture, you may want to use this organization as a training ground and then switch to a company that will truly develop you to reach your potential.

There's a focus on learning, which is good and noble. However, learning is tailored to focus only on information that supports current company culture and structure of belief. Which is interesting because the learning and growth actually require the ability to disagree, new ideas and a development of a culture that supports employees, not executives.

Labatt hires plenty of young people, so if you may build a good network of friends. However, it's very difficult to maintain those friendships because Labatt corporate qualities eventually create a culture that becomes toxic for friendships. This company does not believe in building a community at work, quite the contrary, this company wants work to be life.

The organization does focus on philanthropy through the San Antonio Opera, which is honestly a great experience. It also focuses on community service through different local organizations in San Antonio, which is also great. But you often wonder if these things are done out of actual care for philanthropy, or out of the need to keep up an image.

Cons

The biggest con, culture. There are plenty of others, but culture is fundamental to the development of a company and the development of a young employee. There's not a day goes by where I show up to my new position and wonder why or how I managed to live within the Labatt culture for two years. It's toxic, life draining, demeaning and solely authoritative based.

The worst part about the culture is a complete disregard or lack of acknowledgement that the culture needs correction. Labatt believes, if you leave you just didn't embrace the culture. The reality is that you leave, because you take a look of the reality outside of Labatt and realize the culture of this company is insane.

Labatt perpetuates this culture by paying its employees far more than the expected salary for the area. People basically get bought into working in an environment where your executives overwork managers and managers believe they can treat subordinates that way. The simple fact that subordinates is used to describe people who are managed is demeaning and disgusting.

Advice to Management

As you enter a phase of change, pay close attention to how this culture continues to push away talent that is actually inventive and innovated. Don't be so scared to look at your framework and internal make up with a magnifying glass. There's a clear understanding of turnover in the blue collar sector of your company, use this to analyze your turnover and culture in the white collar sector of your company.

"A Company That Cares"

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is constantly reinvesting their resources back into the company across its entire territory. Labatt is a company that is continually growing and bettering itself with each passing year. Since starting with Labatt 3 years ago, they have put millions of dollars into a brand new state of the art processing facility and updated multiple warehouses as well as create an on site clinic for its San Antonio office. Also, how many people can say that they work for a debt free company that is family owned and not publicly traded?

Cons

I do a great deal of traveling across multiple counties and am not given a company car or mileage; only a gas card that I pay the taxes on. I feel like I deserve a car allowance or a better plan for my travel that could potentially include a company car or mileage plan.

Advice to Management

Do not get complacent or assume that all employees are doing well. You should continually be making sure that subordinates are happy in their work and environments.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I was looking for a job a few years back, I had multiple offers from which to choose. I chose Labatt for a number of reasons and I have enjoyed working here ever since.

-Labatt hires the best so you get to work with smart people
    -Continuous learning is more than just lip service (ex. book club, conferences, onsite and offsite trainings)
    -Labatt is a company that has been around for many years and continues to enjoy year over year growth making it a very stable company to work for
    -Employees are given the freedom to solve problems instead of just doing what they are told (feels very entrepreneurial)
    -The corporate structure is generally flat allowing for easy communication of new ideas
    -New ideas are considered on their merits (ex. benefit to the company) rather than politics (ex. who thought of the idea)
    -We treat our customers as partners so that we grow together. This feels like the right way to do business and makes me proud to work at Labatt

Cons

Vacation benefits are a bit outdated

Advice to Management

Continue the high ethical standards that make me proud to work at Labatt.
    Continue hiring the best and brightest people as they are the lifeblood of the company.

"Striving for Excellence"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Labatt offers employees the opportunity to their best, while working on company critical initiatives and projects. The relatively flat organizational structure allows the company to be flexible and move quickly. If projects are deemed of less importance, Labatt will pivot to more important issues, so employees feel they are always working on projects that matter.

The culture at Labatt exemplifies this as all employees are willing to assist at any time to ensure project get completed successfully and on time.

The employees are made up of highly intelligent individuals who all have the drive to get the job done. It makes every day at Labatt challenging and fulfilling.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. I wake up in the morning and am excited about going to work everyday.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Great IT department"

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a software developer you get to be involved in and learn about the business. You work in one of several small teams that each work closely with a business department to solve interesting problems and create innovative solutions.
    New developers get to jump right in with their own challenging projects.
    There is a large emphasis on training, reading, and other types of continued education to ensure that we are using the most up to date technologies and techniques.
    Very friendly co-workers and management.

Cons

Flat structure can be good and bad

Advice to Management

Keep up your emphasis on training and maintain your high standards.

"Working at Labatt"

Current Employee - Operations in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Operations in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company supports innovation and out of the box thinking to solve problems. Labatt provides the necessary tools to perform your job efficiently and is always willing to invest in new ideas. Advancement is available with hard work and proven mastership in your field. There is plenty of training and tools to help in advancement and self-improvement. Hard work does get noticed and rewarded. Management is considerate and flexible in emergencies and personal time off; management is very understanding of the extra needs of single parents. The company culture encourages camaraderie and respect among its employees and it is a key attribute to the success of many improvement initiatives among teams.

Cons

Labatt hires the best people out there, therefore you are expected to be the best at what you do. If you are the type of person that looks for loopholes, does not take constructive criticism well and point fingers rather than find solutions, you will not make it here.

Advice to Management

I think it's great that Labatt has such a diverse workforce. Please continue to invest in diversity. It creates a dynamic work place.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is committed to innovation and continuous improvement. For my job, that means working with the latest technologies to create software that tackles challenging business problems.

The teams I work with are all filled with strong, smart people. Working together with others that share a similar commitment to great products is very rewarding and at the same time pushes me to continuously improve. I get great personal satisfaction seeing the tools I build help other people's jobs easier and more productive.

Any time I have had personal issues to deal with, my managers have been flexible and understanding. Everyone understands that health and family are a priority.

Cons

Limited vacation early seems tough, but that first year flies by anyway.

"Good, Stable Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Great company for hard working and self-motivated people. You are given the liberty to work and pursue new/innovative solutions for projects/existing problems. While management does give direction so that projects and goals are aligned with the company's mission, you're allowed the freedom to explore different potential solutions.
    - Management is always looking for ways to further educate/train its employees and improve its technology.
    - Friendly working environment with great co-workers focused on working as a team to make the team and company (not individual) succeed.
    - Above-average salary/ pay structure
    - Vacation may seem restricted but managers are flexible and are very generous when it comes to taking days because of personal issues (kids/family sick, doctor visits, etc.)

Cons

Like any company there's always room for improvement,
    For people that need a lot of direction, and written down instructions, this company may not be for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the continuous training and the focus on getting and keeping the best people