Laclede Gas Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "construction"

Current Employee - Welder in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Welder in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Laclede Gas Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

steady work with lots of overtime. plenty of benefits. good management

Cons

harsh weather and work cond. little chance for advancement.

"Good Environment, Wonderful CEO, Poor Management"

Former Employee - Various in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Various in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Laclede Gas Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are nice and it's a solid job with good benefits. The CEO is wonderful and has made improvements along with the beautiful new building.

Cons

Middle management takes advantage of naive and ambitious employees. Most of the best employees leave sooner or later because they take advantage of their best employees repeatedly. The only way to advance is not through hard work but by being tied into their network of friends outside of work. If you're perceived as smarter than them forget it as they will promote someone who is dumb and they can control or someone outside that won't be a threat to them.

Advice to Management

Quit screwing over your best employees middle management.

"Customer Service"

I worked at Laclede Gas Company full-time

Pros

The only real pro's are the pay and benefits

Cons

Environment sucks the life out of you

Advice to Management

Pay better attention to the people you put in management positions. They don't care about the employees, they aren't experienced at the job they are hired to do, nor are they professional. They talk about the employees, each other and upper management in front of other employees and managers.

4. "Review"

Former Employee - Gasman/Laborer
    Former Employee - Gasman/Laborer

Pros

Good pay, great group of people, 40hrs week guaranteed

Cons

Upper management could do better

Advice to Management

N/a

5. "Waste of Time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Laclede Gas Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful, modern new campus with a view.

Cons

Less than impressive management staff. Under qualified, micromanagers, untrusting of employees. High turn over. Not much room for growth or upward advancement. Lack of diversity. Poor work life balance... anything else? Would not recommend.

Advice to Management

Really listen and learn from employee feedback. Seems Laclede has been going through the motions on a superficial level and not making real changes for the better of employees. Focus on diversity and inclusion of all forms. Hire talent with various backgrounds. Give responsibility to the employees you hire, genuinely work to improve upon skill sets they already posses. Increase pay and benefits.

"Worst in Managing skills. Not a team work environment."

I have been working at Laclede Gas Company full-time

Pros

The company vision is great, benefits is on average level compare to other utility company.

Cons

A lot of CONS in term of management. We have managers that wants to chime in even they don't know what is the project for. End up of wasting time. Not efficient managers. They should listen to us (developer or IT). Managers should not do micro. Trust your employee. They should focus on being a effective manager. Managers should be sent to training on how to properly manage instead of going to tech training because that's a BIG NO and a good leader is a good listener and not just keep talk and talk. A lot of manager on a single project which makes the project delayed and complex. Politics is everywhere but this group is very obvious. It's always a one sided opinion, On my profession,I know what I'm doing and that's my expertise. Managers always does micromanage and will waste time and sometimes project will be put in queue or sometimes just dropped. We're not an effective team. I want to quit but I will give a chance to my manager. As an employee on my level, we're the one who do the actual job and do the walk not just talk. When we're on the training, we're distracted because we still need to do some of the task. It's a waste of going to a training if this is what they're always doing because we're not focus. My manager is nice but my manager has a very poor management skills. I've been in an industry for more than 10 years but my manager is not a very effective manager and need to be retrain. VP should listen to the people who actually does the work. It's unfair because we can't do feedback to our manager because manager don't easy accept negative feedback unlike me, I am willing to accept any negative feedback because that's a challenge. As what I said, it's a one sided opinion., only manager can review their member. We're like a minion. I hate it personally the way my manager treat us and I feel sorry to my team member as well. I love the vision of the company and I'm very loyal to my company but this is the only way I can shout my feedback because they will probably make an action after this. A real manager should be certified with at least a PMP because that what really a real manager should have. Because having a PMP will make them understood about being an effective manager. Stop politics and silos. What's the use of our new building and workspace if silos still exist. Some of the individual were afraid to share their knowledge because maybe they're afraid that they may lose their job. Again STOP IT. Where is the team work? We should be helping each other and stop back stabbing.

Advice to Management

Manager should listen and don't interrupt, be professional. This a billion dollar company. You will lose some very skilled worker because of a poor management skills.

"Good place to work, however not sure 30 years from now"

Current Employee - Main Crew Laborer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Main Crew Laborer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Laclede Gas Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Guaranteed 40 hrs per week. Great pay and benefits. Company reimbursement on various things including work boots and gym membership. Union job

Cons

The negations with the company and the union has been and will continue to go downhill. Loosing more benefits, sick time, holidays, ect. Some management is very disrespectful to employees

Advice to Management

Treat your employees how you want the community to believe you do. You are a company who makes millions more every year, yet it seems more is tried to take from your employees. Make the company as good as it was 20 years ago.

8. "excellent company"

Former Employee - Pipeline Compliance in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Pipeline Compliance in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

excellent company, always open to going back

Cons

non really, this company is awesome, i hope they expand more

Advice to Management

keep up the great Job, i love your company culture

9. "Can't recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florissant, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florissant, MO

I worked at Laclede Gas Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New office, clean and centrally located in a nice location for downtown St Louis. Many nice people used to work there.

Cons

Focus has shifted from safety to profit and growth. Laclede no longer appreciates the knowledge and skills of its employees. Work is being moved to outsource agencies in other states. Compensation and benefits are being reduced to improve bottom line. Mandatory overtime eliminates work/life balance. Quality and customer service are lip service. Customers are outraged.

Advice to Management

Contract with some "secret shoppers", have them try to contact Laclede or MGE with questions or concerns. Have them try to reach anyone specific at Laclede. Take time to read some of the angry letters from customers. Do a 360 survey to see how you're really doing. You might be shocked.

"It's obvious the 5 star reviews are fake"

Former Employee - Worker in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Worker in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Laclede Gas Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a one star company. Don't let the fake five star reviews that push the average up to 2.x stars fool you into "trying them out". The only pro I know of is, if you are a worker for the union (construction), you will have decent enough benefits and pay to offset the mismanagement and maltreatment from the company to sustain you until you can find a better company to work for. This is exactly what I did. Went to night school, got a better degree, and promptly left this company upon graduation. Now I work for a company that actually treats their employees like human beings and not legal obligations.

Cons

Bad management, low pay, combative environment, no room for positive advancement (although people do get feed up and quit often so that will open positions you probably wouldn't want to move into), This company holds a monopoly in their industry so they have no motivation to do the right thing. If it makes them more $$$ they'll do it no matter how bad it screws over customers and employees.

Advice to Management

None...because they don't care.