Ladders Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marc Cenedella

Pros
Cons
  • the company has a high turnover rate that can be worrisome to the current employees (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management talks of an engineering culture where engineers make decisions, but it is just lip service (in 7 reviews)

"Not a very welcoming culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Free food (breakfast/lunch/dinner)
    Medical and dental
    401k
    Casual dress
    Quick response and support from facilities

Cons

Slow to respond for HR requests (went from temp to perm a month ago and still do not have proper wages to accommodate this)
    Have been here for nearly 2 months and have not felt very welcomed
    Nearly 0 culture building
    Lack of leadership in management

Advice to Management

Have more cross team culture building.
    Very clique heavy dependent on role at company.
    Make sure HR and upper management is following up with requests in appropriate about of time

"Not bad...lots of growth potential"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve been working in sales for the past year at Ladders. When I first starting working here, the company was very limited in our B2B products and services, and at the time we were only selling one product. SInce joining, the company has created 3 new B2B products/services, which are adding tremendous value to our clients, and providing me and our sales people with growth opportunities $$. The company is far from perfect, but my co-workers are pretty awesome, and I now have plenty of opportunities to make sales.

Cons

Company needs to move faster with building/shipping new products, especially if the sales team will be selling. Not enough developers.

Advice to Management

Support your sales teams by hiring more developers to build the products/services we're selling. Listen to your employees.

"UGH...Ladders...if all you're looking for is a stepping stone..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Beautiful Office Space
    -Free food
    -Good healthcare benefits

Cons

-Awful management/leadership
    -Barely a pulse from HR
    -No room for growth/career advancement whatsoever
    -Zero collaboration or desire to do more than the bare minimum

In my time at Ladders, I wasn't asked, even one time, about my career goals. There were bi-weekly 1 on 1s with my manager in which 95% of the conversation was NOT work related. This was probably due to the fact that our work was not valued by the company.

There is a HUGE gap between the tech org and operations. If you aren't a talented software engineer, chances are you will not be valued at Ladders.

Also, the company rebranded and dropped the "The"...so now it is just Ladders. Try typing in Ladders.com into your web browser... It's comical. It brings you to some construction website. It really is a perfect example of the company not caring about details.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and transparency. Ask them about their career goals and bridge the gap between tech and operations. Also, the compensation for most of these operations positions that require both a college degree and a few years of experience is just sad.

It's only a matter of time until the company goes under. The recruiting tool is outdated and useless to most recruiters.

"Don't risk it"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code, fully stocked kitchen, most of the people there are great or more precisely the ones who were still there at the end of last year.

Cons

Extremely low pay, HIGH turnover rate, as the company has lost about 70% of their employees over the last year due to employees due to changes in management that have fired good employees with a motive of moving the company in a different direction which no one is even clear on what that is. The senior leadership has gotten rid of several employees who have gone to them for bullying, hostile work environment conditions and worst of all sexual harassment. There has been a mass exodus of employees leaving the company towards the end of 2016 because of these issues.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't even spend more of my time for this part, as it falls on deaf ears. The purpose of this review is to inform future applicants to not risk their future on a company that doesn't truly value them, and so others don't make the mistake of believing in the company as many of us did before.

"Great Employers! & they spoil us with food and fun swag !"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders as a contractor

Pros

I have less than a year at Ladders. I only have great things to say about this company. I was out sick for a week and my supervisor was very humane and understanding about my situation even gave me the option of working from home if I liked..... It is nice to work at a company where they treat you like a human being and not just another paid employee..Everyone here is very nice, creative, smart and passionate about their work- The company is very diverse; employees come from all over the world ;You will also see this reflected on the food they serve us everyday (Chinese, Mexican, American, Indian, gluten free, vegetarian food...) The atmosphere is relaxed - you can come dressed however you like to work - (some people wear suits while others prefer to wear jeans and a t-shirts - its up to you...) All and all- I really like working here!

Cons

hmmm hard to find a Con - I guess the Con ,for me, is the office can get really cold sometimes - but the company also provides employees with LADDERS hoodies you can wear - they actually fit real nice and they are cozy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"It's been a good experience, so far."

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has rebuilt itself within the past year by hiring better talent and creating better products for it's users. As an employee, I'm challenged everyday by the scope of the work, and the big problems we're trying to solve for jobseekers. Also, our new digs are pretty sweet and the complimentary breakfast and lunch are a real time and cost saver for me. We even have a chat room on our messaging platform at work dedicated to providing ideas that make our offices more comfortable. I've never worked at a company before that treated it's employees so well.

Cons

We've made some big strides within the past year, but we still have a long way to go. It would be nice to see more accelerated growth of our user base. Also, while the free food is great, it would be nice to have healthier menus.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to turn our growth into hyper growth. It would be really cool if we outgrew our new offices.

"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paychecks arrive regularly, they will fill you with food until you drop dead, and once upon a time, there were some very talented, pleasant people to work with (not for)

Cons

Constantly changing directions from a narcissistic, sociopath who will tell you to make everything blue on Monday and yell at you on Tuesday because everything isn't red. The HR department has an extremely loose grasp of employment legality (FYI FMLA is a right, not a privilege), will say anything (but never in writing) to get you to leave them alone, and mostly seems to exist to prevent the CEO from doing anything that will land himself in jail.

Regardless of how many times the company regurgitates the same canned response, the reality is that this company has had nearly 100% turnover in engineering, management, marketing, and data science in the past year, not because they've "cleaned house", but because everyone quit.

Advice to Management

Stop rewriting history to portray yourself as the knight in shining armor who saved the company from the abyss that your predecessor/cofounder creator. The numbers don't lie - the company was doing just fine without you. Actually treat your people with respect, rather than simply saying you do. Finally, maybe consider a business model that doesn't rely so heavily on people forgetting that they have a subscription until their credit card is cancelled or expires.

"Smart employees solving complex problems."

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All of the employees, for the most part, are smart and passionate about their work and are trying to solve complex problems, particularly how to improve the job search and overall experience for both job seekers and employers. Also, the offices are really cool and the company has a rich 'tech culture'. You can expect to work hard, be challenged and grow professionally. Good salary, benefits and perks.

Cons

Company needs to build up their marketing department and grow their user base at a faster rate. Breakfast and lunches could be a healthier, but I'm probably just being too picky.

Advice to Management

Continue to execute on your strategies and manage your teams more effectively. We have a great product, now let's grow our user base and take more market share. Also, healthier lunches would be appreciated.

"Huge Improvements. Keep it up!"

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If I was writing this review 1 year ago, it would have been 2 stars! However, the company has made a complete transformation for the better. We have better leadership, my new colleagues are smarter, our website looks clean and modern, and our beautiful new offices serve as a clear reminder: If you work very hard, you will achieve new heights (We're on the 51st floor). Strong leadership, good people, and free food :-)

Cons

Be prepared to eat the same food for breakfast, at least 3x per week. I can only eat so many eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast and scones each day!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but let's try changing the breakfast menu every now and then. Employee voting would be helpful.

"Moving up at Ladders"

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has gone through monumental positive changes over the past year, including new technical leadership, new offices, a re-designed website, and added features and tools for our users. Also, legacy employees that were holding us back are no longer a cause of concern. The company has hired numerous smart and talented new engineers, product managers and designers who are committed to making the company and our products successful. Great free meals too.

Cons

Some growing pains still exist, and the company could use more developers for their teams, including QA. Free breakfasts and lunches are good, but can be hit or miss.

Advice to Management

Listen to and trust your employees to make difficult decisions, but continue to coach and mentor members on your teams. Keep building products and tools are users find useful.