Ladders Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marc Cenedella

Pros
Cons
  • the company has a high turnover rate that can be worrisome to the current employees (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management doesnt have their act together (in 7 reviews)

"UGH...Ladders...if all you're looking for is a stepping stone..."

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Beautiful Office Space
    -Free food
    -Good healthcare benefits

Cons

-Awful management/leadership
    -Barely a pulse from HR
    -No room for growth/career advancement whatsoever
    -Zero collaboration or desire to do more than the bare minimum

In my time at Ladders, I wasn't asked, even one time, about my career goals. There were bi-weekly 1 on 1s with my manager in which 95% of the conversation was NOT work related. This was probably due to the fact that our work was not valued by the company.

There is a HUGE gap between the tech org and operations. If you aren't a talented software engineer, chances are you will not be valued at Ladders.

Also, the company rebranded and dropped the "The"...so now it is just Ladders. Try typing in Ladders.com into your web browser... It's comical. It brings you to some construction website. It really is a perfect example of the company not caring about details.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and transparency. Ask them about their career goals and bridge the gap between tech and operations. Also, the compensation for most of these operations positions that require both a college degree and a few years of experience is just sad.

It's only a matter of time until the company goes under. The recruiting tool is outdated and useless to most recruiters.

"Don't risk it"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code, fully stocked kitchen, most of the people there are great or more precisely the ones who were still there at the end of last year.

Cons

Extremely low pay, HIGH turnover rate, as the company has lost about 70% of their employees over the last year due to employees due to changes in management that have fired good employees with a motive of moving the company in a different direction which no one is even clear on what that is. The senior leadership has gotten rid of several employees who have gone to them for bullying, hostile work environment conditions and worst of all sexual harassment. There has been a mass exodus of employees leaving the company towards the end of 2016 because of these issues.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't even spend more of my time for this part, as it falls on deaf ears. The purpose of this review is to inform future applicants to not risk their future on a company that doesn't truly value them, and so others don't make the mistake of believing in the company as many of us did before.

"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paychecks arrive regularly, they will fill you with food until you drop dead, and once upon a time, there were some very talented, pleasant people to work with (not for)

Cons

Constantly changing directions from a narcissistic, sociopath who will tell you to make everything blue on Monday and yell at you on Tuesday because everything isn't red. The HR department has an extremely loose grasp of employment legality (FYI FMLA is a right, not a privilege), will say anything (but never in writing) to get you to leave them alone, and mostly seems to exist to prevent the CEO from doing anything that will land himself in jail.

Regardless of how many times the company regurgitates the same canned response, the reality is that this company has had nearly 100% turnover in engineering, management, marketing, and data science in the past year, not because they've "cleaned house", but because everyone quit.

Advice to Management

Stop rewriting history to portray yourself as the knight in shining armor who saved the company from the abyss that your predecessor/cofounder creator. The numbers don't lie - the company was doing just fine without you. Actually treat your people with respect, rather than simply saying you do. Finally, maybe consider a business model that doesn't rely so heavily on people forgetting that they have a subscription until their credit card is cancelled or expires.

"CEO fires technology people constantly. Ruthless"

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some nice people who work there

Cons

The founders have no understanding of technology and they treat engineers poorly.
    CEO is ruthless
    Software engineer are pressured to work long hours.
    Most turnover I have encountered in any company. In a period of one year that I worked there there was a 90% turnover of the software team

Advice to Management

Start caring more about technologists

Ladders Response

Jul 6, 2015 – Senior Technical Recruiter

After a few years of under-performance, we decided to make changes in senior management and our engineering organization.  As a result, we've parted ways with a number of colleagues this year.  We ... More

"Shocked the company is still in business!"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent direct report. Despite the lack of vision from senior management, my manager did a good job of focusing his team on what we could control.

Cons

Completely disconnected Sr. Executive team who offered absolutely no direction or sustainable business model. In addition, sales quotas were nothing more than a dart board approach of setting reps up for complete failure.

Advice to Management

You missed the boat and should have sold years ago.

Ladders Response

Oct 6, 2015 – Senior Technical Recruiter

"You'll come for the culture and leave because of everything else"

Former Employee - Talent Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Talent Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kitchen is stocked with food. Worked with some great people on young, fun teams.

Cons

-Pay is terrible and they will just gloss over ever discussing yearly bonuses or yearly raises. Out of 4 years I got a yearly raise maybe once. The other years it just wasn't discussed. Yearly bonuses pretty much worked the same way unless you were in sales.
    -No room for advancement at all. Not some, but literally none.
    -Management doesn't understand or doesn't care about the concerns of lower workers.
    -Frequent changes to the company's aims, approaches, and even their motto. They rarely, if ever, give a new plan enough time to pan out but scrap it the second they think it should be returning them money. Rather than making sensible changes to things that work, they'll scrap it and have mass-layoffs. I've seen 3-4 massive layoffs here, with entire teams being cut. They must have changed their recruiter pricing 3 times in a year, and changed the product itself multiple times as well.

Advice to Management

Pull yourselves together, give ideas more time, and make incremental improvements, not sweeping changes when things don't work out. Scrapping ideas constantly and coming up with new plans is why you're unable to find a strong foot hold in the market and you have a high turnover rate.

"Run."

Former Employee - Job Search Advisor (the Name Changed At Least III Times) in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and free snacks.

Cons

The company would hire huge groups of employees and then have massive layoffs only months after.

Advice to Management

Respect the individuals that are working for you.

""Your Career is our Job" HAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Former Employee - Marketing Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free unlimited snacks and catered lunch/breakfast once a week. Fantastic benefits and salary. Work-life balance is very good. Working hours are supposed to be 9am-6pm, but you can pretty much walk in after 10am and leave at 5:30pm (nobody says anything!) while taking a 1-2 hour lunch on top of that. There are a ton of nice people there.

Cons

I just want to go on record by saying that once I started at the company, I truly believed that I was going to be there for a long time. However, it didn't take too long to realize that I made a horrible mistake in joining. Let's start with the office. The office is very dirty and in an old rickety building in SoHo. So, if you are a fan of a dirty office environment, then come work at TheLadders. The Leadership is HORRIBLE. The two people who founded the company (Alex Douzet and Marc Cenedella) made their money and now they don't really care about anything. They will speak in these 2 week Friday forum's but they truly don't believe what they are saying and you can tell that they are as fake as can be. Marc will talk about people's success stories from time to time but he's off doing his own side project while Alex is running the company (AHHHHHH). Alex seems smart, but believe me when I say that it's all a facade. Some of the things he says will just boggle your mind. There's also a lot of outlandish personalities that you have to deal with. One guy runs around all day screaming nonsense and even gibberish (he honestly scares me).

Advice to Management

Stand by your slogan and believe in it. Don't say one thing and do another. Treat EVERYONE with respect, not just upper management.

"Could be great; severely misfiring due to leadership issues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time

Pros

-Free food
    -Good office location
    -Team camaraderie (occasionally)
    -Smart, talented people
    -Latest technology and equipment provided

Cons

-Painful lack of direction and long term vision for the company; leadership instills little confidence they know what they are trying to accomplish
    -Indecision and frequently changing priorities leads to frustrated, disconnected teams with very low morale or motivation
    -Poor process and cross-team communication leads to inefficiencies
    -Career advancement is basically non-existent
    -Questionable business model

Advice to Management

Listen to the people you hire, you hired them for a reason.

Get organized; really understand what you're trying to do with the company and don't drive it off a cliff in the meantime.

"Very poor treatment of talented people; low pay and poor communication by management staff to subcontractors"

Former Contractor - Resume Writer in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Contractor - Resume Writer in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Ladders as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

From an external contractor view: no micro-management and sometimes able to control own time to complete work assignments; continuous flow of work assignments.

Cons

Rip-off to "members" who think contractors get paid the full fee of $395. Very low level pay for amount of work required, including hours and hours of customer service that is above and beyond the scope of the work to be performed and thus not paid for. Pay rate cut of over 52% while still requiring the same amount of work and customer service level, i.e. same work amount for less pay per assignment resulting in contractor having to do double the number of assignments to maintain prior level of income while spending more time with "customers" who are sold on the service. Managers have never done the 'job' of the contractor and are thus very unqualified to understand all that is involved in completing projects to customer's satisfaction. Managers don't care about the problems contractors have; all they care about is that the contractor meets deadlines and handles all customer complaints even if what should be a 2 hour project turns into a 12 plus hour project. Project assignments went to automated scheduling by customer so contractors lost their control of project start times and dates. They tell clients that they will be assigned to a resume writer with over 10 years of experience and then assign the client to a writer with less than 1 year of experience. They use unqualified people to critique original resumes, and these people are only interested in selling to make small commission and use standard critique templates full of useless information.

Advice to Management

Hire someone to manage resume writing function who understands and has "lived" all aspects of what a resume writer experiences in working with clients and the time it takes for customer service handling on top of just actually writing the resume. Raise pay rate to attract and keep the best resume writers rather than just churning through newly certified writers who don't know what they are doing. Pay the best writers what they are worth rather than 22% of the sale - $90 to writer for a $395 sale is pitiful and below industry standard. Institute higher sliding pay rate to best writers who consistently deliver quality work without customer complaints or requests for refunds after work is delivered. Stop trying to automate the resume writing process - it can not be automated. Stop treating writers as if they were robots turning out resumes as if they were on an assembly line.