Ladders Reviews | Glassdoor

Ladders Reviews

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marc Cenedella

Pros
  • Fully-stocked kitchen & weekly meals (in 21 reviews)

• Good pay, benefits, and a decent work life balance (in 10 reviews)

"Sales"

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food and drink in kitchen

Cons

Commission and quotas change every quarter

"Engineering "Culture""

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, good food, good work-life balance (but that seems to be changing)

Cons

A couple people quit every week, for good reason. Senior management talks of an engineering culture where engineers make decisions, but it is just lip service. We use Agile to say we use it, not for its actual benefits. No one knows how to fix something when it breaks because everyone who built the tech/worked on it is gone. Company is more concerned about creating new features than fixing the glaring, and scary problems looming at all times. It is a ticking time bomb.

Advice to Management

Try to retain talent, especially with institutional knowledge. Care about employees. Allow for dissenting opinions without fear of reprisal/getting fired. Company must be fixed before moving forward.

Jan 4, 2016 – Senior Technical Recruiter

After a few years of under-performance, we decided to clean house and bring in professional engineers with experience in building large-scale web properties with modern technologies to replace a team ... More

"All aboard the titanic"

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks and colleagues

Cons

Lack of communication and inability to voice opinions unless your sipping the kool aid. Hard to keep employees motivated when half the company hasn't been there over a year. The turnover rate is higher than the NYC rent!

Advice to Management

Rethink talent management strategies its hard to keep employees engaged with such s high turnover rate.

"Call the doctor, we got a bleeder!"

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros for working here are nothing to write home about. They are what you would expect to find at a decent company. The mission of the company/product is an honorable one – to disrupt and expose the recruitment industry to empower jobseekers – even if the business model makes everyone cringe. The environment is mostly autonomous, so you can pursue ideas and things you want to learn with hardly any hinderance – but don't be mistaken, there certainly isn't any encouragement either. The people is definitely the best thing about working at TheLadders, but even that is diluting as super talented people have been bleeding out.

Cons

The company seemed to have experienced a peak and then a mass exodus right before I started. And it hasn't bounced back ... years later. There's constantly changing and departing management and colleagues, no culture, slimy and apathetic HR, vapid leadership, no promotions, no legitimate bonuses or raises ... essentially no accountability whatsoever. In every way, shape, and form, the goal posts are constantly moving on you at this company.

Advice to Management

Stop talking to your employees like they're morons. There are some really talented people working at the company right now, and they are all really starting to wonder why they've been working so hard and for what. HR is a scam and leadership is vapid.

Oct 6, 2015 – Senior Technical Recruiter

After a few years of under-performance, we decided to make changes in senior management and our engineering organization.  As a result, we've parted ways with a number of colleagues this year.  We ... More

"A company on the decline"

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented, smart, friendly people. Unlimited time-off

Cons

Terrible, short-sighted, ignorant management. Absolute disregard for their users' needs

Advice to Management

Open your deaf, arrogant ears

Jan 6, 2015 – Senior Technical Recruiter

Here at TheLadders, our management team is committed to mentoring and motivating our employees to bring out their very best performance, but we still have our work cut out for us. As for products ... More

"Career Advisor at TheLadders"

Former Employee - Career Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Career Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great people to work with
    - hire smart people
    - free snacks and company outings but started to become less and less

Cons

- company is constantly changing its mission and core focus
    - no room for advancement
    - management does not listen to its employees
    - management played favorites
    - pay was not good

"Short - sighted strategy and no real innovation has been TheLadders' real achilles heal."

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Good people (individual contributors). Management and above are made to feel that they are important, but the actual reality is extremely short-lived.

Cons

No real innovation stunts the growth of current employees. Subscription base (job seekers) keeps TheLadders machine chugging along.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't listen to its own managers let alone the "rank and file."

"Awful, disorganized, unethical.. do not work here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Well stocked kitchen, catered lunches and breakfast weekly, free iPad

Cons

This org is a shell of what it once was, The Ladders started out as the go to place for 100K careers and is now just a repository for old, dead resumes of members long gone. Poorly structured and unfocused management team, no HR support, the company ethos is CYA, employee development is nil and all product offerings are sub par. At least with Craig's List you know what you are getting. Both job seekers and recruiters are being scammed and misled everyday all day. If you like to lie and mislead people all day then this is the company for you, if you have any ethics or simply a SOUL work somewhere else. its not worth the aggravation

Advice to Management

Decide what type of business you want to run and stick to it.
    Revisit your mission statement

10. "Forget advancement; why do we go to the bar on Thursdays; incompetent management...but well-stocked kitchen!"

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- A job in a big city, like New York, may lead to better opportunities in the future...but only if you socialize/network out of the office.

- Open office enviornment

- Kitchen well-stocked with a plethora of snacks and drinks, even healthier options.

- You may not be able to prove your abilities to management, but you can prove your worth to yourself.

- My coworkers were very competent.

Cons

- Management either micromanages or doesn't manage when they need to.

- Learn the chain of command or have your work stolen by management. (Hint: there is none, go straight to the people the changes will affect.)

- Not all employees treated equally: temps excluded from much of company culture because of employment status. They're not invited to parties, company picnic, talent show, etc. even though their contributions are crucial to the life of the company.

- Everyone celebrates end of week on Thursday (because of way job postings used to work) so forget socializing if you don't live within the general vicinity.

- High-schoolish/cliquey social structure

- Incomptence rampant in all levels of management: right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

- Boring, monotonous work you don't need a degree for, had to dig deep to challenge myself.

- Working remotely is pointless if the speed of said system only allows you to do half your work in a day.

- If you're older, you might be working for someone and around people younger than you. Prepare to eat humble pie.

- Dismal payrate

Advice to Management

- Learn to communicate effectively and properly

- Provide clear feedback

- Treat all employees equally and include all (even temps) in the company culture

- Compensate workers appropriately: equal pay for equal work

11. "Fun Place to work"

Current Employee - Job Search Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Job Search Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A young work environment and the managers are nice to work with.

Cons

At times I would question the direction of the company. The upper management failed to describe the company's direction which became very frustrating.