Ladders Reviews | Glassdoor

Ladders Reviews

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marc Cenedella

Pros
  • Fully-stocked kitchen & weekly meals (in 22 reviews)

• Good pay, benefits, and a decent work life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • the company has a high turnover rate that can be worrisome to the current employees (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management doesnt have their act together (in 7 reviews)

"Great Employers! & they spoil us with food and fun swag !"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders as a contractor

Pros

I have less than a year at Ladders. I only have great things to say about this company. I was out sick for a week and my supervisor was very humane and understanding about my situation even gave me the option of working from home if I liked..... It is nice to work at a company where they treat you like a human being and not just another paid employee..Everyone here is very nice, creative, smart and passionate about their work- The company is very diverse; employees come from all over the world ;You will also see this reflected on the food they serve us everyday (Chinese, Mexican, American, Indian, gluten free, vegetarian food...) The atmosphere is relaxed - you can come dressed however you like to work - (some people wear suits while others prefer to wear jeans and a t-shirts - its up to you...) All and all- I really like working here!

Cons

hmmm hard to find a Con - I guess the Con ,for me, is the office can get really cold sometimes - but the company also provides employees with LADDERS hoodies you can wear - they actually fit real nice and they are cozy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"It's been a good experience, so far."

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has rebuilt itself within the past year by hiring better talent and creating better products for it's users. As an employee, I'm challenged everyday by the scope of the work, and the big problems we're trying to solve for jobseekers. Also, our new digs are pretty sweet and the complimentary breakfast and lunch are a real time and cost saver for me. We even have a chat room on our messaging platform at work dedicated to providing ideas that make our offices more comfortable. I've never worked at a company before that treated it's employees so well.

Cons

We've made some big strides within the past year, but we still have a long way to go. It would be nice to see more accelerated growth of our user base. Also, while the free food is great, it would be nice to have healthier menus.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to turn our growth into hyper growth. It would be really cool if we outgrew our new offices.

"Smart employees solving complex problems."

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All of the employees, for the most part, are smart and passionate about their work and are trying to solve complex problems, particularly how to improve the job search and overall experience for both job seekers and employers. Also, the offices are really cool and the company has a rich 'tech culture'. You can expect to work hard, be challenged and grow professionally. Good salary, benefits and perks.

Cons

Company needs to build up their marketing department and grow their user base at a faster rate. Breakfast and lunches could be a healthier, but I'm probably just being too picky.

Advice to Management

Continue to execute on your strategies and manage your teams more effectively. We have a great product, now let's grow our user base and take more market share. Also, healthier lunches would be appreciated.

"Huge Improvements. Keep it up!"

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If I was writing this review 1 year ago, it would have been 2 stars! However, the company has made a complete transformation for the better. We have better leadership, my new colleagues are smarter, our website looks clean and modern, and our beautiful new offices serve as a clear reminder: If you work very hard, you will achieve new heights (We're on the 51st floor). Strong leadership, good people, and free food :-)

Cons

Be prepared to eat the same food for breakfast, at least 3x per week. I can only eat so many eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast and scones each day!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but let's try changing the breakfast menu every now and then. Employee voting would be helpful.

"Moving up at Ladders"

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has gone through monumental positive changes over the past year, including new technical leadership, new offices, a re-designed website, and added features and tools for our users. Also, legacy employees that were holding us back are no longer a cause of concern. The company has hired numerous smart and talented new engineers, product managers and designers who are committed to making the company and our products successful. Great free meals too.

Cons

Some growing pains still exist, and the company could use more developers for their teams, including QA. Free breakfasts and lunches are good, but can be hit or miss.

Advice to Management

Listen to and trust your employees to make difficult decisions, but continue to coach and mentor members on your teams. Keep building products and tools are users find useful.

"Good pay. Good people. Good work."

Former Employee - User Experience Advocate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - User Experience Advocate in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with smart people who are passionate about their jobs. Good pay, benefits, and a decent work life balance. Cool start-up culture + free food.

Cons

There was a lot of employee turnover when I worked at Ladders, but my understanding is the company has since hired a lot of new employees. Employee who are adding much more value to the teams, and products than their predecessors, which isn’t a bad thing.

Advice to Management

I hear you’re rebuilding the company. The new redesigned website looks great. Keep up the good work, and treat your employees well.

"Better product, people and offices."

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has hired numerous software engineers, product managers and designers across multiple agile teams within the past year. Engineering teams have recently built 'Resume Reviewer' a tool that provides users with feedback on their resume in seconds, and a 'Resume Builder', which is one of the best resume building tools I've ever seen. A newly redesigned website, which is by far a better product than it previously was. New penthouse style corporate offices with panoramic views of NYC Harbor. Nice perks - e.g. Free breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Cons

Teams are somewhat understaffed and could use more PMs and designers. Offices are overly quiet and could benefit from more 'energy'.

Advice to Management

Keeping motivating your teams to build better products. Keep pushing the ball forward.

"Modern technologies, smart engineers and a better office."

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Ladders for a little less than 1 year as a software engineer. Every company has their own problems and Ladders is no different, but we also do ALOT of things right! With regards to software engineering, we have small, agile teams which practice peer code reviews and test driven development. We incorporate modern, progressive technologies, such as using React.js (a javascript library created and managed by Facebook and Instagram), Apache Storm (an open sourced real-time computation system originally adopted by Twitter), Scala, Riak and Hadoop to help build and manage our responsive website and infrastructure. We also hire lots of smart people, who are fun to work with. We also recently re-designed our website, complete with a new modern UI and an easier to navigate user experience. We also recently moved into beautiful brand new offices in the financial district with breath taking views of the Hudson River and lower Manhattan, and we have catered food (breakfast, lunch and dinner if you decide to work late) 5x per week! I must say, the company knows how to reward talent and it's employees are treated well.

Cons

We're a small, but growing company (100 employees approx.). Instead of 9 million users, it would be great if we had 90 million! We could always be better, but I notice we're consistently improving. That's not such a bad thing.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing and keep moving forward. You made excellent strides in the past year, now let's take this company and products to the next level. Lead and manage your teams more effectively.

"A very good recruiting process. Fast, reliable and transparent."

Current Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We have one of the best recruiting processes I've experienced. As a job candidate, my experience was very good - 1). A friendly and knowledgeable recruiter, 2). A fast, but thorough interview process and 3). in-depth interview feedback within 48 hours of interviewing. As a manager, I've witnessed first hand how passionate our recruiters are at finding and attracting top tier talent, and how well trained our interviewers are at assessing candidates' skills.

Cons

We have a good process, and it's fast, but it could be faster at times. I propose Saturday interviews or weekday evening interviews as needed

Advice to Management

Continue to hire the best talent available and do not settle for less. Continue to train your teams well and simply build better products our users love.

"Tough, but rewarding"

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart and talented co-workers who are great to work with and who are passionate about their jobs and the important role we’re doing, which is making the job search experience easier and better for our users. Fast pace environment where you can make serious contributions and have a serious impact.

Cons

Communication from leadership could be better at times. Also, the bar of success sometimes feels very high, but goals are definitely achievable. Our website could use a facelift, but we're headed in that direction.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with your employees + more team building, especially since teams are growing. Continue hiring great people!