Ladders Reviews | Glassdoor

Ladders Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Fully-stocked kitchen & weekly meals (in 22 reviews)

• Good pay, benefits, and a decent work life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • the company has a high turnover rate that can be worrisome to the current employees (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management doesnt have their act together (in 7 reviews)

"Smart people all around you"

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The talent bar is set very high. All of my coworkers are very intelligent - lots of brain power throughout the company, especially on engineering teams. Great benefits and perks like free food (breakfast and lunch). Nice culture.

Cons

Our office space and building is outdated, but we're moving to a much nicer and modern office building in Feb. 2016. Can't wait!

Advice to Management

Keep scaling up. We could use more agile teams. Also, more collaborative space would be helpful. Other than that, please keep up the good work.

"It's ok"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people who worked there. Stocked kitchen with lots of food. Decent work incentives for all who worked there. Great location in soho.

Cons

Base salary was way too low for New York. Product offerings need lots of help. Hired as a marketing expert but was pushed into sales.

Advice to Management

Make sure to always always put your employees welfare first. If you take care of your employees then all the rest of your work goals will work out.

"Motivated Engineering Teams!"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Motivated and skilled software engineers who are passionate about building products for users and who are having a major impact on the growth of our business and organization. Great learning opportunities for professional development, both technically and developing leadership skills on a team. Very collaborative environment and we're growing fast.

Cons

Fast growth has led to organizational changes.

Advice to Management

Please keep employees as updated as possible with changes to the organization, teams and strategy.

"Good people making a great product."

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Growing design, product and engineering teams with lots of cross collaboration. New UI and UX experiences for an evolving job seeker web and mobile product. Good user centered design principles. Nice perks like free food (breakfast and lunches) and unlimited vacation days. Nice company culture for the most part.

Cons

Coming had been experiencing some turnover, but they seem to have turned a corner and corrected the problem. Changing team dynamics due to growth/hiring, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Advice to Management

We could use catered food on Wednesdays and more team/company outings would be nice. Continue to clear roadblocks when necessary.

"Perfect job to gain leadership experience, if you are up for it."

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is great, and catered food daily is helpful.

Cons

Not a lot of growth and learning as interactions with leadership are few.

"Great work environment, but communication could be better"

Current Employee - Talent Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Talent Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is excellent. People are laid back and as long as you get your work done no one bothers you. I really like the people and have made a number of friends. Also, catered food 4x per week is a big plus!

Cons

The company's turnover has been high due to changes in strategy by management and from lack communication from management to employees.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good people. Give them direction and allow them to make decisions. Also, please keep the awesome free lunches coming!

"Career Services Manager"

Former Employee - Career Services Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Career Services Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great offices, great people. Everyone was extremely nice and most were very smart and well educated. CEO Marc Cenedella was innovative and also loved the Grateful Dead.

Cons

Lack of focus on product. At one time it was focused on jobs openings over $100K, then the company transitioned to all jobs, which hurt the overall growth of the company due to the lack of exclusivity.

Advice to Management

Place focus back on the job seeker. They are the ones who need help and are willing to pay for it. I believe there is a mobile app now, which is a great idea and a huge step into the world of mobile.

"Great company, people & culture!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One actually enjoys working here as opposed to watching the clock.
    Great work environment and intelligent, friendly people in each department. Very trusting and accomplished leaders.
    Of course, free food favors all and makes life much easier!

Cons

The company is still in "improvement mode". Hence there are a lot of changes happening right now, which is not necessarily a bad thing but requires you to be patient and demands adjustment from everyone on the team.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing...stay amazing!!
    You could however make some decisions faster and keep everyone in the loop.

"CEO fires technology people constantly. Ruthless"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some nice people who work there

Cons

The founders have no understanding of technology and they treat engineers poorly.
    CEO is ruthless
    Software engineer are pressured to work long hours.
    Most turnover I have encountered in any company. In a period of one year that I worked there there was a 90% turnover of the software team

Advice to Management

Start caring more about technologists

Ladders Response

Jul 6, 2015 – Senior Technical Recruiter

After a few years of under-performance, we decided to make changes in senior management and our engineering organization.  As a result, we've parted ways with a number of colleagues this year.  We ... More

"Great Engineering Culture!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been working at TheLadders as software engineer for a few months, but everyone I work with seems to be super friendly, smart and passionate about what we're building. we have 5 engineering teams - a platform team + 4 product teams. I work on one of the product teams directly alongside 4 engineers, a ux, a visual designer, a product manager and a few data scientists. Our code is well tested and we all participate in peer code reviews, scrum meetings and the engineers have a real say in the 'how' and 'why' we're building for our users. So far, it's been very empowering and I'm looking forward to seeing how our users interact with the products we're building. Plus, the free lunches are pretty awesome.

Cons

I know some of the teams are understaffed and could use more talented engineers. Plus, there is only one elevator in the bldg, which is very slow.

Advice to Management

The teams would benefit more if mgmt hired additional engineers. Other than that, our software dev managers really seem to care about everyone on their team. Keep it up!