Ladders Reviews | Glassdoor

Ladders Reviews

Updated December 5, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fully-stocked kitchen & weekly meals (in 22 reviews)

• Strong leadership, good people, and free food :-) (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • the company has a high turnover rate that can be worrisome to the current employees (in 9 reviews)

• He has no real plan for making an outdated business model work in the modern era (in 6 reviews)

"Good pay. Good people. Good work."

Former Employee - User Experience Advocate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - User Experience Advocate in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with smart people who are passionate about their jobs. Good pay, benefits, and a decent work life balance. Cool start-up culture + free food.

Cons

There was a lot of employee turnover when I worked at Ladders, but my understanding is the company has since hired a lot of new employees. Employee who are adding much more value to the teams, and products than their predecessors, which isn’t a bad thing.

Advice to Management

I hear you’re rebuilding the company. The new redesigned website looks great. Keep up the good work, and treat your employees well.

"A comfortable start-up atmosphere"

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A beautiful new office with spectacular views of NYC. Free breakfast and lunch, and free dinner if you work past 7pm. Really nice co-workers, and low-stress 'start-up like' work environment. Company wide meetings with the executives keep employees in the know about the successes of our teams and where the company is headed.

Cons

Not much to complain about here. Our old offices had video games. Our new offices could use more comfort items.

Advice to Management

A fooseball or ping pong table would be nice. Also, we could use a company sponsored evening out at least once a month.

"Better product, people and offices."

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has hired numerous software engineers, product managers and designers across multiple agile teams within the past year. Engineering teams have recently built 'Resume Reviewer' a tool that provides users with feedback on their resume in seconds, and a 'Resume Builder', which is one of the best resume building tools I've ever seen. A newly redesigned website, which is by far a better product than it previously was. New penthouse style corporate offices with panoramic views of NYC Harbor. Nice perks - e.g. Free breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Cons

Teams are somewhat understaffed and could use more PMs and designers. Offices are overly quiet and could benefit from more 'energy'.

Advice to Management

Keeping motivating your teams to build better products. Keep pushing the ball forward.

"Modern technologies, smart engineers and a better office."

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Ladders for a little less than 1 year as a software engineer. Every company has their own problems and Ladders is no different, but we also do ALOT of things right! With regards to software engineering, we have small, agile teams which practice peer code reviews and test driven development. We incorporate modern, progressive technologies, such as using React.js (a javascript library created and managed by Facebook and Instagram), Apache Storm (an open sourced real-time computation system originally adopted by Twitter), Scala, Riak and Hadoop to help build and manage our responsive website and infrastructure. We also hire lots of smart people, who are fun to work with. We also recently re-designed our website, complete with a new modern UI and an easier to navigate user experience. We also recently moved into beautiful brand new offices in the financial district with breath taking views of the Hudson River and lower Manhattan, and we have catered food (breakfast, lunch and dinner if you decide to work late) 5x per week! I must say, the company knows how to reward talent and it's employees are treated well.

Cons

We're a small, but growing company (100 employees approx.). Instead of 9 million users, it would be great if we had 90 million! We could always be better, but I notice we're consistently improving. That's not such a bad thing.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing and keep moving forward. You made excellent strides in the past year, now let's take this company and products to the next level. Lead and manage your teams more effectively.

"Big improvements"

Current Employee - Job Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Job Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has really stepped up over the past year. New offices, a better designed product, more users, more job postings, more internal hiring and free food everyday. Also, really good benefits.

Cons

There's not much to say here. The new offices are a bit quiet, and could use more entertainment. We had classic arcade machines at our last office, and it would be nice to see them come back or get a pool table, darts or something to entertain employees during their downtime.

Advice to Management

Please continue to do really good work, and continue to keep rank and file informed of product and company changes. All hands-on deck meetings are very helpful.

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Newly hired CTO who is making a difference and building a strong technology team. New released apps and products like the resume reviewer.

Cons

Lack of direction and legacy employees

Advice to Management

Stay focused on Mobile development.

"A very good recruiting process. Fast, reliable and transparent."

Current Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We have one of the best recruiting processes I've experienced. As a job candidate, my experience was very good - 1). A friendly and knowledgeable recruiter, 2). A fast, but thorough interview process and 3). in-depth interview feedback within 48 hours of interviewing. As a manager, I've witnessed first hand how passionate our recruiters are at finding and attracting top tier talent, and how well trained our interviewers are at assessing candidates' skills.

Cons

We have a good process, and it's fast, but it could be faster at times. I propose Saturday interviews or weekday evening interviews as needed

Advice to Management

Continue to hire the best talent available and do not settle for less. Continue to train your teams well and simply build better products our users love.

"Tough, but rewarding"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart and talented co-workers who are great to work with and who are passionate about their jobs and the important role we’re doing, which is making the job search experience easier and better for our users. Fast pace environment where you can make serious contributions and have a serious impact.

Cons

Communication from leadership could be better at times. Also, the bar of success sometimes feels very high, but goals are definitely achievable. Our website could use a facelift, but we're headed in that direction.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with your employees + more team building, especially since teams are growing. Continue hiring great people!

"good place to work"

Former Employee - Talent Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Talent Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work/life balance
    free food
    awesome team
    morale was definitely getting better when i left

Cons

far from home
    lunch sucks in this neighborhood
    crappy old building with slow elevator, so stairs up/down every day

Advice to Management

i would tell them to move to a better facility, but i heard a rumor this is already in the works
    reward the people in the company that are cool, fire the toxic ones (there are/were a few)

"Good people and product"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are smart and care about the product they're building and the customers they're building for. The benefits are great, especially the unlimited paid vacation days (and yes I've taken vacation) and the free catered breakfast and lunches are a nice perk. Plus, we're moving soon and the new office space is amazing (very modern, amazing views, a big step up). The company took all of it's employees to see Star Wars on opening day!

Cons

The company had high turnover earlier in the year, but it seems to have leveled out. It's a very collaborative environment (which is good), but sometimes it seems decisions need to be reached by consensus.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good people and listen to good ideas from your employees. You hired us for a good reason. Also, we could use catered dinners if we decide to work late.