Ladders Reviews | Glassdoor

Ladders Reviews

Updated January 15, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fully-stocked kitchen & weekly meals (in 22 reviews)

• Strong leadership, good people, and free food :-) (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • the company has a high turnover rate that can be worrisome to the current employees (in 9 reviews)

• He has no real plan for making an outdated business model work in the modern era (in 6 reviews)

"Tough, but rewarding"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart and talented co-workers who are great to work with and who are passionate about their jobs and the important role we’re doing, which is making the job search experience easier and better for our users. Fast pace environment where you can make serious contributions and have a serious impact.

Cons

Communication from leadership could be better at times. Also, the bar of success sometimes feels very high, but goals are definitely achievable. Our website could use a facelift, but we're headed in that direction.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with your employees + more team building, especially since teams are growing. Continue hiring great people!

"good place to work"

Former Employee - Talent Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Talent Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work/life balance
    free food
    awesome team
    morale was definitely getting better when i left

Cons

far from home
    lunch sucks in this neighborhood
    crappy old building with slow elevator, so stairs up/down every day

Advice to Management

i would tell them to move to a better facility, but i heard a rumor this is already in the works
    reward the people in the company that are cool, fire the toxic ones (there are/were a few)

"Good people and product"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are smart and care about the product they're building and the customers they're building for. The benefits are great, especially the unlimited paid vacation days (and yes I've taken vacation) and the free catered breakfast and lunches are a nice perk. Plus, we're moving soon and the new office space is amazing (very modern, amazing views, a big step up). The company took all of it's employees to see Star Wars on opening day!

Cons

The company had high turnover earlier in the year, but it seems to have leveled out. It's a very collaborative environment (which is good), but sometimes it seems decisions need to be reached by consensus.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good people and listen to good ideas from your employees. You hired us for a good reason. Also, we could use catered dinners if we decide to work late.

"Great Place"

Former Employee - Community Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Community Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders (More than a year)

Pros

TheLadders.com was a great place to work, lots of responsibility and and exciting growth. Great culture.

Cons

The company was growing at an incredible rate, adding new employees on a weekly basis so it was hard to keep up with all the new faces.

Advice to Management

Management at the time that I worded at the company did a good job of keeping everyone informed of company plans.

"All aboard the titanic"

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks and colleagues

Cons

Lack of communication and inability to voice opinions unless your sipping the kool aid. Hard to keep employees motivated when half the company hasn't been there over a year. The turnover rate is higher than the NYC rent!

Advice to Management

Rethink talent management strategies its hard to keep employees engaged with such s high turnover rate.

"Engineering "Culture""

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, good food, good work-life balance (but that seems to be changing)

Cons

A couple people quit every week, for good reason. Senior management talks of an engineering culture where engineers make decisions, but it is just lip service. We use Agile to say we use it, not for its actual benefits. No one knows how to fix something when it breaks because everyone who built the tech/worked on it is gone. Company is more concerned about creating new features than fixing the glaring, and scary problems looming at all times. It is a ticking time bomb.

Advice to Management

Try to retain talent, especially with institutional knowledge. Care about employees. Allow for dissenting opinions without fear of reprisal/getting fired. Company must be fixed before moving forward.

Ladders Response

Jan 4, 2016 – Senior Technical Recruiter

After a few years of under-performance, we decided to clean house and bring in professional engineers with experience in building large-scale web properties with modern technologies to replace a team... More

"Smart people all around you"

Current Employee - UI/User Experience Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The talent bar is set very high. All of my coworkers are very intelligent - lots of brain power throughout the company, especially on engineering teams. Great benefits and perks like free food (breakfast and lunch). Nice culture.

Cons

Our office space and building is outdated, but we're moving to a much nicer and modern office building in Feb. 2016. Can't wait!

Advice to Management

Keep scaling up. We could use more agile teams. Also, more collaborative space would be helpful. Other than that, please keep up the good work.

"It's ok"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people who worked there. Stocked kitchen with lots of food. Decent work incentives for all who worked there. Great location in soho.

Cons

Base salary was way too low for New York. Product offerings need lots of help. Hired as a marketing expert but was pushed into sales.

Advice to Management

Make sure to always always put your employees welfare first. If you take care of your employees then all the rest of your work goals will work out.

"Motivated Engineering Teams!"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Motivated and skilled software engineers who are passionate about building products for users and who are having a major impact on the growth of our business and organization. Great learning opportunities for professional development, both technically and developing leadership skills on a team. Very collaborative environment and we're growing fast.

Cons

Fast growth has led to organizational changes.

Advice to Management

Please keep employees as updated as possible with changes to the organization, teams and strategy.

"Good people making a great product."

Current Employee - UI/User Experience Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Growing design, product and engineering teams with lots of cross collaboration. New UI and UX experiences for an evolving job seeker web and mobile product. Good user centered design principles. Nice perks like free food (breakfast and lunches) and unlimited vacation days. Nice company culture for the most part.

Cons

Coming had been experiencing some turnover, but they seem to have turned a corner and corrected the problem. Changing team dynamics due to growth/hiring, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Advice to Management

We could use catered food on Wednesdays and more team/company outings would be nice. Continue to clear roadblocks when necessary.