Ladders Reviews | Glassdoor

Ladders Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Fully-stocked kitchen & weekly meals (in 22 reviews)

• Good pay, benefits, and a decent work life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • the company has a high turnover rate that can be worrisome to the current employees (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management doesnt have their act together (in 7 reviews)

"Great Engineering Culture!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been working at TheLadders as software engineer for a few months, but everyone I work with seems to be super friendly, smart and passionate about what we're building. we have 5 engineering teams - a platform team + 4 product teams. I work on one of the product teams directly alongside 4 engineers, a ux, a visual designer, a product manager and a few data scientists. Our code is well tested and we all participate in peer code reviews, scrum meetings and the engineers have a real say in the 'how' and 'why' we're building for our users. So far, it's been very empowering and I'm looking forward to seeing how our users interact with the products we're building. Plus, the free lunches are pretty awesome.

Cons

I know some of the teams are understaffed and could use more talented engineers. Plus, there is only one elevator in the bldg, which is very slow.

Advice to Management

The teams would benefit more if mgmt hired additional engineers. Other than that, our software dev managers really seem to care about everyone on their team. Keep it up!

"Afloat in a sea of tough competitors"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good health benefits; generous with food and fun activities. Great location.
    Rewards people with generous monetary compensation packages.
    CEO is classically trained Harvard grad. All business.

Cons

There are several examples that exist at the top of the organizational pyramid where employees have been bullied and treated in demeaning ways (not physically harmed). There appears to be a protective shell that surrounds and insulates the "A-team" and "executive staff" from the rest of the employees in the organization. Somewhat secretive. Dubious. The CEO has an over-sized framed painting in his office of the French military and political leader, Napoleon Bonaparte. It's erie. Disturbing to those that understand the symbolic nature of such a conspicuous gesture.

Company wishes to be perceived as an employer-of-choice to the millennial segment.

Image and very "status conscious".

Fluctuating market strategy. Always afloat. Never ahead or innovative.

Dirty bathrooms. Very old building.

Advice to Management

Printing money is not real entrepreneurialism.

"First Full-Time Job Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I joined TheLadders right out of college and I am so glad that I did. I’ve been with the company for a while now and it has been a good experience so far. I’ve had the opportunity to work on many different projects and pick up various skills along the way. The kitchen is full of goodies and there’s catered lunch and breakfast every week. The offered benefits plan is excellent and I have a good work-life balance. More importantly, we are given the chance to work on meaningful challenges.

Cons

The turnover rate can be high depending on the department.

Advice to Management

Please work on retaining employees and nudging them to stay with the company. We have really talented workers that other companies may have their eyes on. Please do more to keep them.

"Great experience - learnt a lot while building great experiences"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- was part of Agile, self-driving, highly motivated team to build products & features
    - building features for a high-traffic website with problems of scale
    - good management team letting engineers build innovative solutions

Cons

- Elevator - single elevator & it was slow
    - did not get many growth opportunities in spite of good projects/contributions

Advice to Management

No complaints or advice to management

"Awesome engineering culture."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great engineers, amazing benefits, and the company is starting to head in a really good and exciting direction. Moved to NYC from the west coast and haven't regretted it once.

Cons

The building elevator is slow. Honestly not a whole lot to complain about.

"Shocked the company is still in business!"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent direct report. Despite the lack of vision from senior management, my manager did a good job of focusing his team on what we could control.

Cons

Completely disconnected Sr. Executive team who offered absolutely no direction or sustainable business model. In addition, sales quotas were nothing more than a dart board approach of setting reps up for complete failure.

Advice to Management

You missed the boat and should have sold years ago.

Ladders Response

Oct 6, 2015 – Senior Technical Recruiter

After a few years of under-performance, we decided to make changes in senior management and our engineering organization.  As a result, we've parted ways with a number of colleagues this year.  We ... More

"Great team, lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart people that are fun, kind, and pleasure to be around.
    Ample opportunities to learn and develop skills beyond what you were hired to do.
    Really talented team of engineers that have a wide array of experience and expertise.

Cons

If you're looking for a place where you can just phone it in, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Trust your staff.

"Great People, Good Environment, Bit Disorganized"

Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment overall is good. There is a kitchen stocked with beverages and snacks, including some reasonably healthy options (though it's mostly soda, cookies, chips, etc). The people are very friendly and welcoming.

The tech culture overall is good. All the developers I interacted with were very intelligent and passionate - they were interested in constantly improving themselves as well as the product. There is a lot of room for personal growth - the potential to work on different types of projects with different types of technology.

There are weekly conclaves with talks given on various topics - whether related to product or not. The office sometimes hosts various tech meetups for the NYC area. The tech stack is not cutting edge (which is good imo), but current and interesting - though of course enterprisey/legacy stuff will be found for you to work on.

The product culture is generally good. Many in the company are very passionate about the product and genuinely interested in helping the customer. All departments have input into product design, and the input taken seriously. There are regular meetings/events and you can provide input and ideas to the extent that you are inclined to do so.

Cons

The upper levels of management seem very unfocused and disconnected. There is some disconnect between product, customer, sales, and engineering - communication in general was a problem both between team members, teams, and departments.

It's very much an "open office", with all the cons typically associated with one - noise, difficulty focusing, many people wear headphones and it's hard to get their attention, etc. There are conference rooms to duck into when needed, but it still can be overall unpleasant.

There is a general lack of organization and accountability in some areas.

The onboarding process could use improvement as well - it's very disorganized. To the extent that it exists and is followed, it is one-size-fits-all.

Compensation-wise it's not the best all around, expect to have to push a bit.

Advice to Management

Empower the smart people you have, make them accountable, and get out of their way.

Improve your hiring and onboarding processes - customize training to individuals. When new employees complain, take this seriously. Get them the information they need sooner. Consider explicitly assigning new employees someone to help them navigate the process.

Ladders Response

Mar 4, 2015 – Senior Technical Recruiter

Thank you for your company review of TheLadders. We take pride in listening to and understanding the concerns of our employees, both current and former. Please know we are working hard to overcome ... More

"My voice is heard, my thoughts are considered."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I've been working at TheLadders for almost a year now and It's been great working with people who want to hear your opinions. I know most companies seem to have a leadership rules all environment, but TheLadders provides employees with the ability to do more than just their job, and provide you with more than just a check. If you're interested in learning more about the recruitment world and aiding in reinventing it.. This is the place.

Cons

To be honest, the only con I could think of is that we don't have catered lunch everyday. We only have it on Wednesday's.

Advice to Management

Keep updating your employees on their progress, you're doing a good job with it now.. Don't ever stop.

"Weird I liked working here"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My team, my manager, were great. Drew was awesome. My two backend devs were amazing. We had good chemistry I wish I could get back.

Cons

Senior management doesnt have their act together. I think they have the talent but the management is the weakest link.

Advice to Management

Quit and let someone else run it.