Ladders Reviews | Glassdoor

Ladders Reviews

Full-time Part-time

Cons

"Enjoying the experience, intellectually challenging and friendly environment..."

Pros

I joined the company at the beginning of the year, and the experience has been positive so far. The company goes to great length in their on-boarding to ensure you have a smooth transition. The culture is welcoming and the people are smart, highly motivated, and very collaborative. There has been some senior management turnover since I arrived. However, new management has unified the team and empowered us to think big and build beautiful products that our users will love. The overall company strategy has been defined through careful evaluations and meetings with each product team and the employees are both empowered to make an impact. There is not a lot of bureaucracy and the pace of innovation has been accelerating.

P.S. Working here also includes some generous perks like unlimited PTO, very good health care, a fully stocked kitchen, and catered meals on Wed / Friday.

Cons

Management and employee turnover can impact continuity. On the flip side management is committed to investing in the team and adding headcount across the organization.

Advice to Management

The more you empower and trust your team and the more your team will repay you by doing great things...

"Great culture. Exciting direction."

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are very talented, friendly and supportive. I immediately clicked with everyone. I think that goes to show that the HR team does a nice job of assessing culture fit. That translates into the management style and structure as well. I feel that everyone is always heard and feedback is encouraged. We have fun, collaborate and produce results. Learning and professional growth are highly valued. In terms of company direction, it's an exciting time to work here. Definitely feels like I came in at the start of something special.

Cons

The office itself consists of two separate non-sequential floors, so depending on your role it can be difficult to collaborate with or get to know your coworkers on the opposite floor.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people. Really like where we're going as a company.

"Awesome engineering culture."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great engineers, amazing benefits, and the company is starting to head in a really good and exciting direction. Moved to NYC from the west coast and haven't regretted it once.

Cons

The building elevator is slow. Honestly not a whole lot to complain about.

"Great team, lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart people that are fun, kind, and pleasure to be around.
    Ample opportunities to learn and develop skills beyond what you were hired to do.
    Really talented team of engineers that have a wide array of experience and expertise.

Cons

If you're looking for a place where you can just phone it in, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Trust your staff.

"Shocked the company is still in business!"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent direct report. Despite the lack of vision from senior management, my manager did a good job of focusing his team on what we could control.

Cons

Completely disconnected Sr. Executive team who offered absolutely no direction or sustainable business model. In addition, sales quotas were nothing more than a dart board approach of setting reps up for complete failure.

Advice to Management

You missed the boat and should have sold years ago.

Ladders Response

Oct 6, 2015 – Senior Technical Recruiter

After a few years of under-performance, we decided to make changes in senior management and our engineering organization.  As a result, we've parted ways with a number of colleagues this year.  We ... More

"Great company, great people!"

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a great caliber of people here and it's wonderful to work with these folks every day. Catered food twice a month is a plus. Everyone is passionate about their work, which is an awesome thing.

Cons

The management structure has shifted drastically and there is high turnover. Are people confident about where the company is going in the next couple of months? No.

"Great coworkers, company could be more stable"

Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Smart, friendly, supportive coworkers; very relaxed workplace -- if you get your work done, no one is worried about when you show up or leave; there's unlimited PTO; at least within R&D, you're given the opportunity to learn new tools and explore projects that you find interesting

Cons

Relatively high turnover among employees; there's been a number of shifts in direction and structure over the past few years

"Pretty nice place to work!"

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at TheLadders is pretty sweet. There’s always a stocked kitchen, which allows anyone who works here to save a couple bucks if need be. There is catered lunch on Wednesdays and breakfast on Fridays, again allowing you to save some money instead of wasting 15 dollars for lunch every day.

Going beyond the kitchen, the work environment is great. It’s a laid back vibe but productive on all fronts. There are always meetings, where they are willing to hear everyone out. From the newest guy to the most seasoned vet on the team, everyone can and shares their input. Definitely a company that is willing to at least listen to their workers.
    Co-workers are all friendly people. I definitely met great, down to earth people at this place.

Cons

Not too many cons that I can think of. I guess the building we are in can be better, but besides that there isn't much.

"Great People, Good Environment, Bit Disorganized"

Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment overall is good. There is a kitchen stocked with beverages and snacks, including some reasonably healthy options (though it's mostly soda, cookies, chips, etc). The people are very friendly and welcoming.

The tech culture overall is good. All the developers I interacted with were very intelligent and passionate - they were interested in constantly improving themselves as well as the product. There is a lot of room for personal growth - the potential to work on different types of projects with different types of technology.

There are weekly conclaves with talks given on various topics - whether related to product or not. The office sometimes hosts various tech meetups for the NYC area. The tech stack is not cutting edge (which is good imo), but current and interesting - though of course enterprisey/legacy stuff will be found for you to work on.

The product culture is generally good. Many in the company are very passionate about the product and genuinely interested in helping the customer. All departments have input into product design, and the input taken seriously. There are regular meetings/events and you can provide input and ideas to the extent that you are inclined to do so.

Cons

The upper levels of management seem very unfocused and disconnected. There is some disconnect between product, customer, sales, and engineering - communication in general was a problem both between team members, teams, and departments.

It's very much an "open office", with all the cons typically associated with one - noise, difficulty focusing, many people wear headphones and it's hard to get their attention, etc. There are conference rooms to duck into when needed, but it still can be overall unpleasant.

There is a general lack of organization and accountability in some areas.

The onboarding process could use improvement as well - it's very disorganized. To the extent that it exists and is followed, it is one-size-fits-all.

Compensation-wise it's not the best all around, expect to have to push a bit.

Advice to Management

Empower the smart people you have, make them accountable, and get out of their way.

Improve your hiring and onboarding processes - customize training to individuals. When new employees complain, take this seriously. Get them the information they need sooner. Consider explicitly assigning new employees someone to help them navigate the process.

Ladders Response

Mar 4, 2015 – Senior Technical Recruiter

Thank you for your company review of TheLadders. We take pride in listening to and understanding the concerns of our employees, both current and former. Please know we are working hard to overcome ... More

"My voice is heard, my thoughts are considered."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I've been working at TheLadders for almost a year now and It's been great working with people who want to hear your opinions. I know most companies seem to have a leadership rules all environment, but TheLadders provides employees with the ability to do more than just their job, and provide you with more than just a check. If you're interested in learning more about the recruitment world and aiding in reinventing it.. This is the place.

Cons

To be honest, the only con I could think of is that we don't have catered lunch everyday. We only have it on Wednesday's.

Advice to Management

Keep updating your employees on their progress, you're doing a good job with it now.. Don't ever stop.