Ladders Reviews | Glassdoor

Ladders Reviews

Updated September 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fully-stocked kitchen & weekly meals (in 22 reviews)

• Strong leadership, good people, and free food :-) (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • the company has a high turnover rate that can be worrisome to the current employees (in 9 reviews)

• He has no real plan for making an outdated business model work in the modern era (in 6 reviews)

"Incredible people, good opportunities for growth, questionable strategy"

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- TheLadders hired some of the nicest, friendliest, smartest people I’ve ever met. I met lifelong friends, and the alumni network from past employees is deep and always willing to help. This is the #1 main takeaway for me. Every company has its pitfalls, but the people are what kept me there so long.
    - Good opportunities for growth & career progression. If you are a dedicated, loyal, smart, hard worker, you can go really far up the ladder.
    - The culture was easygoing, fun and flexible until recently when management changed. Can’t speak for it now, but it was a make-your-own-hours and work-until-your-work-is-done type of place. Sometimes you were there from 8am to 8pm, and sometimes you were there from 10am-6pm. Everyone cared about their job and doing it well.
    - Opportunities to learn new tools/take classes/go to conferences for further development

Cons

- People can be promoted up and out of their jobs – not everyone is right for the next step, and there are high expectations even if management knows a certain person doesn’t have the experience or desire to take on more work or responsibility
    - If I can describe the company strategy in one work, it’s “pivot.” The same mistakes seem to keep getting made, strategy changes rapidly and with seemingly no research behind it. It’s hard to work for a company that is essentially tactical and trying to keep the ship afloat rather than looking toward the future
    - Super high turnover and no incentive to stay
    - While people seem to care deeply about doing a good job, the passion isn’t necessarily in the products/people the company serves.
    - People are notoriously under-paid. Recruiters seek TheLadders’ employees because they know they’re hard workers, and cheap to recruit.
    - Micromanagement from the CEO. Claims the people make the decisions, but steers the company where he wants. Lack of candor. Trying to foster an open culture but not giving real answers to solicited questions.

Advice to Management

Give your employees power rather than just saying you're empowering them. Give real answers. Follow through - had high hopes but lost trust. Gain trust through actions and showing you actually care about the employees.

"CEO fires technology people constantly. Ruthless"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some nice people who work there

Cons

The founders have no understanding of technology and they treat engineers poorly.
    CEO is ruthless
    Software engineer are pressured to work long hours.
    Most turnover I have encountered in any company. In a period of one year that I worked there there was a 90% turnover of the software team

Advice to Management

Start caring more about technologists

Ladders Response

Jul 6, 2015 – Senior Technical Recruiter

After a few years of under-performance, we decided to make changes in senior management and our engineering organization.  As a result, we've parted ways with a number of colleagues this year.  We... More

"Call the doctor, we got a bleeder!"

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros for working here are nothing to write home about. They are what you would expect to find at a decent company. The mission of the company/product is an honorable one – to disrupt and expose the recruitment industry to empower jobseekers – even if the business model makes everyone cringe. The environment is mostly autonomous, so you can pursue ideas and things you want to learn with hardly any hinderance – but don't be mistaken, there certainly isn't any encouragement either. The people is definitely the best thing about working at TheLadders, but even that is diluting as super talented people have been bleeding out.

Cons

The company seemed to have experienced a peak and then a mass exodus right before I started. And it hasn't bounced back ... years later. There's constantly changing and departing management and colleagues, no culture, slimy and apathetic HR, vapid leadership, no promotions, no legitimate bonuses or raises ... essentially no accountability whatsoever. In every way, shape, and form, the goal posts are constantly moving on you at this company.

Advice to Management

Stop talking to your employees like they're morons. There are some really talented people working at the company right now, and they are all really starting to wonder why they've been working so hard and for what. HR is a scam and leadership is vapid.

Ladders Response

Oct 6, 2015 – Senior Technical Recruiter

"Great Engineering Culture!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been working at TheLadders as software engineer for a few months, but everyone I work with seems to be super friendly, smart and passionate about what we're building. we have 5 engineering teams - a platform team + 4 product teams. I work on one of the product teams directly alongside 4 engineers, a ux, a visual designer, a product manager and a few data scientists. Our code is well tested and we all participate in peer code reviews, scrum meetings and the engineers have a real say in the 'how' and 'why' we're building for our users. So far, it's been very empowering and I'm looking forward to seeing how our users interact with the products we're building. Plus, the free lunches are pretty awesome.

Cons

I know some of the teams are understaffed and could use more talented engineers. Plus, there is only one elevator in the bldg, which is very slow.

Advice to Management

The teams would benefit more if mgmt hired additional engineers. Other than that, our software dev managers really seem to care about everyone on their team. Keep it up!

"Good times, looking toward the future..."

I have been working at Ladders full-time

Pros

-Lovely group of people here. Smart, helpful unpretentious and super welcoming to all new hires
    -Lots of new tools and features in the works that address jobseeker and recruiter pains in new ways that are unmatched by competitors
    -Since all the leadership changes that have been happening there's a new emphasis on testing and experimenting with new ideas that would've been given the kibosh before
    -High level of professionalism and office decorum, without it being too stodgy. You can be yourself in a respectful environment.
    -Unlimited paid time off
    -Good food is a priority here
    -"Beer Halls" every week, a mashup of happy hour, town hall and team-wide update session
    -I love everyone in my department, especially the supervisors that I work with.
    -With the improvements to the product in recent months it really seems like the company is on a path toward becoming a more formidable competitor in the space.

Cons

-It seems like every week there's a new shakeup or resignation. It's alarming. I've been nothing but happy in my time here so far, but obviously there are morale issues. As much as I want to put roots down here, the crazy amount of turnover would give any sane person pause.
    -Not enough candor, in my opinion. I've seen a lot of instances where people have doubts about a strategy but will keep quiet or kvetch in private but don't step up and object to its implementation. I don't think this is healthy, but then again, I wouldn't want to be the odd man out on a limb.
    -People walk on egg shells around certain leadership figures*

Advice to Management

Seek out honest feedback, perhaps anonymously if unhappy workers aren't comfortable being honest to leaderships' face. Address the structural issues that are causing low morale and churn, but not with band aids or symbolic gestures (hint: we don't need more food and alcohol)

"Afloat in a sea of tough competitors"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good health benefits; generous with food and fun activities. Great location.
    Rewards people with generous monetary compensation packages.
    CEO is classically trained Harvard grad. All business.

Cons

There are several examples that exist at the top of the organizational pyramid where employees have been bullied and treated in demeaning ways (not physically harmed). There appears to be a protective shell that surrounds and insulates the "A-team" and "executive staff" from the rest of the employees in the organization. Somewhat secretive. Dubious. The CEO has an over-sized framed painting in his office of the French military and political leader, Napoleon Bonaparte. It's erie. Disturbing to those that understand the symbolic nature of such a conspicuous gesture.

Company wishes to be perceived as an employer-of-choice to the millennial segment.

Image and very "status conscious".

Fluctuating market strategy. Always afloat. Never ahead or innovative.

Dirty bathrooms. Very old building.

Advice to Management

Printing money is not real entrepreneurialism.

"Overall positive experience"

Pros

Fun environment to work in with snack room and lunches every Wednesday & breakfast every Friday

Cons

the company has a high turnover rate that can be worrisome to the current employees. Keeping up with competition as other companies are thriving

Advice to Management

Retain employees

"First Full-Time Job Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I joined TheLadders right out of college and I am so glad that I did. I’ve been with the company for a while now and it has been a good experience so far. I’ve had the opportunity to work on many different projects and pick up various skills along the way. The kitchen is full of goodies and there’s catered lunch and breakfast every week. The offered benefits plan is excellent and I have a good work-life balance. More importantly, we are given the chance to work on meaningful challenges.

Cons

The turnover rate can be high depending on the department.

Advice to Management

Please work on retaining employees and nudging them to stay with the company. We have really talented workers that other companies may have their eyes on. Please do more to keep them.

"Great experience - learnt a lot while building great experiences"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- was part of Agile, self-driving, highly motivated team to build products & features
    - building features for a high-traffic website with problems of scale
    - good management team letting engineers build innovative solutions

Cons

- Elevator - single elevator & it was slow
    - did not get many growth opportunities in spite of good projects/contributions

Advice to Management

No complaints or advice to management

"Enjoying the experience, intellectually challenging and friendly environment..."

Pros

I joined the company at the beginning of the year, and the experience has been positive so far. The company goes to great length in their on-boarding to ensure you have a smooth transition. The culture is welcoming and the people are smart, highly motivated, and very collaborative. There has been some senior management turnover since I arrived. However, new management has unified the team and empowered us to think big and build beautiful products that our users will love. The overall company strategy has been defined through careful evaluations and meetings with each product team and the employees are both empowered to make an impact. There is not a lot of bureaucracy and the pace of innovation has been accelerating.

P.S. Working here also includes some generous perks like unlimited PTO, very good health care, a fully stocked kitchen, and catered meals on Wed / Friday.

Cons

Management and employee turnover can impact continuity. On the flip side management is committed to investing in the team and adding headcount across the organization.

Advice to Management

The more you empower and trust your team and the more your team will repay you by doing great things...