Ladders Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Marc Cenedella

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • the company has a high turnover rate that can be worrisome to the current employees (in 9 reviews)

• Bad pay, boring monotonous work, no room for growth (in 6 reviews)

"Better product, people and offices."

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has hired numerous software engineers, product managers and designers across multiple agile teams within the past year. Engineering teams have recently built 'Resume Reviewer' a tool that provides users with feedback on their resume in seconds, and a 'Resume Builder', which is one of the best resume building tools I've ever seen. A newly redesigned website, which is by far a better product than it previously was. New penthouse style corporate offices with panoramic views of NYC Harbor. Nice perks - e.g. Free breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Cons

Teams are somewhat understaffed and could use more PMs and designers. Offices are overly quiet and could benefit from more 'energy'.

Advice to Management

Keeping motivating your teams to build better products. Keep pushing the ball forward.

"Modern technologies, smart engineers and a better office."

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Ladders for a little less than 1 year as a software engineer. Every company has their own problems and Ladders is no different, but we also do ALOT of things right! With regards to software engineering, we have small, agile teams which practice peer code reviews and test driven development. We incorporate modern, progressive technologies, such as using React.js (a javascript library created and managed by Facebook and Instagram), Apache Storm (an open sourced real-time computation system originally adopted by Twitter), Scala, Riak and Hadoop to help build and manage our responsive website and infrastructure. We also hire lots of smart people, who are fun to work with. We also recently re-designed our website, complete with a new modern UI and an easier to navigate user experience. We also recently moved into beautiful brand new offices in the financial district with breath taking views of the Hudson River and lower Manhattan, and we have catered food (breakfast, lunch and dinner if you decide to work late) 5x per week! I must say, the company knows how to reward talent and it's employees are treated well.

Cons

We're a small, but growing company (100 employees approx.). Instead of 9 million users, it would be great if we had 90 million! We could always be better, but I notice we're consistently improving. That's not such a bad thing.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing and keep moving forward. You made excellent strides in the past year, now let's take this company and products to the next level. Lead and manage your teams more effectively.

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Newly hired CTO who is making a difference and building a strong technology team. New released apps and products like the resume reviewer.

Cons

Lack of direction and legacy employees

Advice to Management

Stay focused on Mobile development.

"Tough, but rewarding"

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart and talented co-workers who are great to work with and who are passionate about their jobs and the important role we’re doing, which is making the job search experience easier and better for our users. Fast pace environment where you can make serious contributions and have a serious impact.

Cons

Communication from leadership could be better at times. Also, the bar of success sometimes feels very high, but goals are definitely achievable. Our website could use a facelift, but we're headed in that direction.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with your employees + more team building, especially since teams are growing. Continue hiring great people!

"Good people and product"

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are smart and care about the product they're building and the customers they're building for. The benefits are great, especially the unlimited paid vacation days (and yes I've taken vacation) and the free catered breakfast and lunches are a nice perk. Plus, we're moving soon and the new office space is amazing (very modern, amazing views, a big step up). The company took all of it's employees to see Star Wars on opening day!

Cons

The company had high turnover earlier in the year, but it seems to have leveled out. It's a very collaborative environment (which is good), but sometimes it seems decisions need to be reached by consensus.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good people and listen to good ideas from your employees. You hired us for a good reason. Also, we could use catered dinners if we decide to work late.

"Motivated Engineering Teams!"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ladders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Motivated and skilled software engineers who are passionate about building products for users and who are having a major impact on the growth of our business and organization. Great learning opportunities for professional development, both technically and developing leadership skills on a team. Very collaborative environment and we're growing fast.

Cons

Fast growth has led to organizational changes.

Advice to Management

Please keep employees as updated as possible with changes to the organization, teams and strategy.

"Great Engineering Culture!"

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been working at TheLadders as software engineer for a few months, but everyone I work with seems to be super friendly, smart and passionate about what we're building. we have 5 engineering teams - a platform team + 4 product teams. I work on one of the product teams directly alongside 4 engineers, a ux, a visual designer, a product manager and a few data scientists. Our code is well tested and we all participate in peer code reviews, scrum meetings and the engineers have a real say in the 'how' and 'why' we're building for our users. So far, it's been very empowering and I'm looking forward to seeing how our users interact with the products we're building. Plus, the free lunches are pretty awesome.

Cons

I know some of the teams are understaffed and could use more talented engineers. Plus, there is only one elevator in the bldg, which is very slow.

Advice to Management

The teams would benefit more if mgmt hired additional engineers. Other than that, our software dev managers really seem to care about everyone on their team. Keep it up!

"Great experience - learnt a lot while building great experiences"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- was part of Agile, self-driving, highly motivated team to build products & features
    - building features for a high-traffic website with problems of scale
    - good management team letting engineers build innovative solutions

Cons

- Elevator - single elevator & it was slow
    - did not get many growth opportunities in spite of good projects/contributions

Advice to Management

No complaints or advice to management

"Awesome engineering culture."

I have been working at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great engineers, amazing benefits, and the company is starting to head in a really good and exciting direction. Moved to NYC from the west coast and haven't regretted it once.

Cons

The building elevator is slow. Honestly not a whole lot to complain about.

"Weird I liked working here"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Ladders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My team, my manager, were great. Drew was awesome. My two backend devs were amazing. We had good chemistry I wish I could get back.

Cons

Senior management doesnt have their act together. I think they have the talent but the management is the weakest link.

Advice to Management

Quit and let someone else run it.