Lafarge North America Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lafarge North America President & CEO John Stull
John Stull

Pros
  • Work life balance is good , peaceful environment to work ,friendly co-workers and offers a decent package (in 6 reviews)

• Great people to work with and it has a growing collaborative culture (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Cement manufacturing is interesting but could become stagnant for a career (in 3 reviews)

• This results in less job security than you would expect from such a large company (in 3 reviews)

1. "Executive Assistant"

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time

Pros

I enjoyed the company overall and the team I worked with.

Cons

I disliked the unrealistic expectations of some of the staff.

"Pension Analyst"

Current Employee - Pension Analyst in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Pension Analyst in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, flexible hours, salary is higher than average.

Cons

Job is being eliminated due to outsourcing. Horrible medical benefits, but 401k, and maternity leave benefits are great.

3. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

Many different location across world to work with in company

Cons

People are not valued asset.

5. "Was a great company to work for"

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I had the privilege of working with a small but talented and highly agile team that accomplished a tremendous amount of work.
    Our IT organization built a great working relationship with the user community and the executives as well.

Cons

After nearly 20 years with Lafarge, the merger with Holcim resulted in the move of my position to Chicago. I have traveled there quite frequently over the last five years, but my family is unable to move there at this time. I am now looking for exciting new opportunities somewhere in the Detroit metro area.

Advice to Management

Keep working a seamless integration to realize the untapped potential of the talented employees.

6. "Executive Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Johns Creek, GA
    Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Johns Creek, GA

I worked at Lafarge North America (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Professionalism and Work Ethics.

Cons

Company sold off and disinvested their GA divisions

7. "Treasury Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Lafarge North America part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Before the merger it was a great group of people to work with. Good managers who offered flexibility and growth.

Cons

After the merger many of the satellite offices closed including my local office and the corporate culture seems to have changed.

Advice to Management

Value the employees that have been with the both merged companies of the years and offer flexible schedules for happy employees.

8. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They we high on safety, every quarter you would get a safety bonus if there was no safety issues. They really strived to make safety their number one priority.

Cons

A lot of heavy lifting and during the winter it slowed down, but you still would work out in the cold.

"If you need the job..."

Pros

They will pay you reasonably well and there are some folks you will enjoy meeting. There is opportunity to learn about a unique industry.

Cons

I would consider working here only if you need the income badly. Your work experience is not thoughtfully considered and it will be sacrificed if there is benefit in doing so now questions. For example everyone was switched to high deductible health plans to save the company money.

There is a lot of nepotist (favoritism toward family) behaviors and upward mobility is lacking for those not connected to others in high places. Please understand that there system is not meritocracy and will not reward talent above connections.

Management in the company is not settled due to the merger. A lot of folks have left or would like to leave. If you are talented you should find a place that will be rewarding for your talents.

Also there are some hints of ethical issues within the company. For example the company is dedicated towards a hiring quota for gender balancing reasons in Europe where this company is based, and has pushed the Woman's Task Force (WTF) objectives to the US. Hiring quotas are illegal. Also some of their marketing schemes for "additional" revenue generation are in my opinion dishonest.

Advice to Management

Nothing that I would use this forum to deliver with the hope of it being openly received and thoughtfully considered.

10. "Be wary of working for this company."

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I spent a year working for this company. I learned computer skills and programs which will help me for years to come. I developed a drive and an independent work ethic that makes me an exponentially more valuable employee and person. I made connections with some very genuine people, good-hearted and driven people. I got to travel to some places I had never been and see some things I never would have otherwise.
    Finally, I learned that I didn't need an impressive resume or a quick climb up the career ladder to feel proud of my efforts and success in life.

Cons

There is no mentorship within this company. Everyone, at every level, is overworked, and you will not find any help laterally or above you. You will be constantly disrespected by management.

You will work excessive hours with no compensation and still be told you're not doing enough.

I can't discuss the specifics of my history with this company, as my first review was too detailed, but in addition to a hostile work environment, you may be ordered to make some very unethical edits and changes in regards to money.

Advice to Management

Remember that employees are what make up your company. Do not marginalize, micro-manage, or abuse the people who work for you, or they will leave and your company will suffer.

Be wary of the toxic environment created by some individuals in your company. I had a coworker once brag to me how much he and our supervisor enjoyed conflict, and liked undermining the authority of employees in other parts of the country.
    At this point, I would strongly advise anyone against working for this company, or working under it as a hauler carrier.

11. "Logistics"

Former Employee - Logistics in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Logistics in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lafarge North America (More than a year)

Pros

Global company, lots of travel, big time operations

Cons

Big changes with a merger. Company always changing directions

Advice to Management

Get a long term strategy.