Lafarge North America Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Lafarge North America President & CEO John Stull
John Stull

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is good , peaceful environment to work ,friendly co-workers and offers a decent package (in 6 reviews)

• Diversity, great people, teamwork (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • More often than not, worked long hours without compensation or recognition - not to get ahead, just to get things done (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management is always shaking up the lower management and with constant manager changes comes inexperience (in 4 reviews)

"Look at the recent employee survey and figure it out"

I have been working at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There was a time that the company was making good decisions and gave credit to the actual working class, ie less than manager.

Cons

Everybody for themselves. Your good ideas get taken away and given credit to who ever is the most dominant. There is very little opportunity to advance in the company, training is virtually non existent. Seems like nobody but the current managers are capable of doing a good job. Try using a 10 year old lap top to get work done. 2% raises are considered very good.

Advice to Management

Lafarge has put pure managers in place and has NO leaders. The constant negativity and finger pointing needs to stop. Where is the team.

"Absence of Career advancement opportunities"

Current Employee - Performance Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Performance Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has great people

Cons

The environment suffers from 5 years of cutbacks, politics versus performance culture focused on Optics

Advice to Management

Focus culture on performance, reward learning from mistakes over optics

"Company being destroyed by management"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Southfield, MI

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are not alot of pros any longer. This company is going downhill fast.

Cons

Management is horrible, benefits are continually being taken away, CEO is selfish jerk who is slowly putting the same horrible leadership underneath him, managers work long hours and out of touch with reality, company says they are health and safety focused but that is far from the truth.

Advice to Management

You have no clue how to reach employees. Stop taking benefits away. Stop putting managers in charge that have no family and life outside of work. You are pushing all your good people out the door because you put people in management that have no business managing people.

"Horribly managed company that used to be top tier."

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Pay and benefits can be okay initially but performance isn't recognized or rewarded unless your a part of the "click"

Cons

Too many to list.

Advice to Management

Clean house, pull your heads out of your rear ends and realize all good employees moral is as low as it's ever been.

"Corrupt management"

Pros

Pay and benefits were good at one time, but the company has been cutting them both for the past few years.

Cons

Lack of integrity in managers all the way up the chain - they will cover up their corrupt ways and get rid of anyone who speaks up about them. If you've been with the company long enough to build up to a decent salary, they start looking at ways to replace you. They are constantly reorganizing, causing a disruptive work environment. They throw people into positions with absolutely no training and customers suffer from it. There is total lack of leadership. People are made to fear losing their jobs.

Advice to Management

Clean house of managers with lack of integrity and those who don't give a damn about the workers that keep the company running.

"Great place to work.... if your dad is a retired stock holder, or you don"

Pros

Great place to not actually have to work. If you are looking for a place of employment that so greatly resembles the movie "Office Space" you have found it. Management screws up and gets promoted, or certain members of management aren't even included in the little click and have no responsibility but pull down serious salary, thanks to dad being a retired share holder. To get promoted here you need not do a day of actual work! Simply find the right employee who is in the "click" (you will be able to tell, as these employee's simply walk around doing nothing at all and talking to the other "click" managers doing nothing) and SUCK UP with all you have. There you have it! Follow this career course at Lafarge and you can be President of Lafarge in no time.

Cons

Management, Human Resources, decision/responsibility lack of balance.

Advice to Management

Find a real job.

"General Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Big company with lots of resources, great training opportunities and the work force is diversified.

Cons

Has been in "crisis" mode for many/many years. Very very slow in cutting costs when markets turned bad and didn't quickly improve. Capital funding is either feast or famine, isn't consistent and often senior management asks about ways to finance purchases as if there isn't money for next weeks payroll. The overhead costs are enormous. Too many Vice Presidents, Presidents, North American shared service expenses are high and yet bonuses for the GM level and above are great. Internally, profits are sucked up to aggregates and cement through arbitrarily high transfer pricing from concrete and asphalt and then they ask why the latter two aren't making enough money. People were the most important assets until they realized that terminating defined benefit pension plan would produce one time earnings benefit to the tune of many tens of millions.

Advice to Management

A lot less layers of management above the operating level. Stop looking down your nose at concrete and asphalt businesses. If you truly just care about cement and aggregates, dump the other two and the culture of working at the company will improve.

8. "Be wary of working for this company."

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I spent a year working for this company. I learned computer skills and programs which will help me for years to come. I developed a drive and an independent work ethic that makes me an exponentially more valuable employee and person. I made connections with some very genuine people, good-hearted and driven people. I got to travel to some places I had never been and see some things I never would have otherwise.
    Finally, I learned that I didn't need an impressive resume or a quick climb up the career ladder to feel proud of my efforts and success in life.

Cons

There is no mentorship within this company. Everyone, at every level, is overworked, and you will not find any help laterally or above you. You will be constantly disrespected by management.

You will work excessive hours with no compensation and still be told you're not doing enough.

I can't discuss the specifics of my history with this company, as my first review was too detailed, but in addition to a hostile work environment, you may be ordered to make some very unethical edits and changes in regards to money.

Advice to Management

Remember that employees are what make up your company. Do not marginalize, micro-manage, or abuse the people who work for you, or they will leave and your company will suffer.

Be wary of the toxic environment created by some individuals in your company. I had a coworker once brag to me how much he and our supervisor enjoyed conflict, and liked undermining the authority of employees in other parts of the country.
    At this point, I would strongly advise anyone against working for this company, or working under it as a hauler carrier.

"If you need the job..."

Pros

They will pay you reasonably well and there are some folks you will enjoy meeting. There is opportunity to learn about a unique industry.

Cons

I would consider working here only if you need the income badly. Your work experience is not thoughtfully considered and it will be sacrificed if there is benefit in doing so now questions. For example everyone was switched to high deductible health plans to save the company money.

There is a lot of nepotist (favoritism toward family) behaviors and upward mobility is lacking for those not connected to others in high places. Please understand that there system is not meritocracy and will not reward talent above connections.

Management in the company is not settled due to the merger. A lot of folks have left or would like to leave. If you are talented you should find a place that will be rewarding for your talents.

Also there are some hints of ethical issues within the company. For example the company is dedicated towards a hiring quota for gender balancing reasons in Europe where this company is based, and has pushed the Woman's Task Force (WTF) objectives to the US. Hiring quotas are illegal. Also some of their marketing schemes for "additional" revenue generation are in my opinion dishonest.

Advice to Management

Nothing that I would use this forum to deliver with the hope of it being openly received and thoughtfully considered.

10. "Look for a different job!"

Former Employee - Truck Driver
    Former Employee - Truck Driver

I worked at Lafarge North America (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent and lots of overtime.

Cons

Upper management is horrible. They give you no notice if they are laying off or when they are cutting jobs. You can have your job one day and the next day it's gone. They don't care about family life. You could be scheduled off for the weekend and a day before your days off, you are told you have to work. Can't ever make plans for days off.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees.